• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

work

audrasharon

Hi, I work in an office like environment on the phone and do mainly evening work finish about midnight and drive 45 mins home (only 2 shifts per week.) I wanted some sort of realistic idea of how long I would need off work once I had my sleeve op. I'm a nurse and the NHS is an unsympathetic employer.

I was told 4-6 weeks at a recent info forum however I work in community and my job is not sedentary (also NHS and have told them this). I guess the drive is the big thing, if you're not safe enough to drive then you can't go to work, surely a GP would sign you off.

Thanks for the reply.. Could get sick note but have had some medical problems earlier in the year and so could be a problem. Wanted to try using A/L. x

2 weeks for me and my desk. I definitely could have gone back sooner but made the most of it :)

I didn't drive for 6 weeks though.

That's great to hear. Seeing my surgeon on Thursday. Only hope I can get it done sooner rather than later. x

I took 3 weeks off but could have made it in two. Took an extra one because I'm a long distance commuter and didn't feel safe to travel trains and tubes earlier.
Started driving small distances on my 2° day out (5 days post op).

I have a part-time desk job and I will be off 6-8 weeks as my post-op eating regime takes all day and I couldn't possibly work while trying to get in all my fluids its a full time job on its own this early out, so I figured 6-8 weeks should have me almost on a more normal eating plan.

I took two weeks off but I did return to work for one day a week after my op and could have returned completely then. I also drove a four hour car journey 8 days after the op without any problems.

Back