• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

working after bypass

hello i dont work,but my surgeons guide lines is about 4 to 6 weeks before you return to work but it depends on what kind of job you do x x x x x

Hiya - I work in admin as a manager and I was back in after 2 weeks. I went on reduced hours for a week then back in full time....dont get me wrong I was knackered at night ut fine during the day! xx

Thanks guys for that. Caroline was that after open or key hole? I've just booked out 4 weeks and Im hoping that should be ok.

Ive just doing half days and hoping it will be alright. Did you feel the 9 weeks was enough? Im having open and have been told 4-6 weeks before going back to work. Everyone is so different so its always good to hear other peoples experiences.

I always feel like a bit of a freak answering this, but I went back 5 days after the op and was fine. (I didn't tell work so was on a few days personal leave and not sick time. The only person who knew I was having an op was my secretary and my boss, both of whom I think assume it was hemmaroids as I was being cagey!!). It had never occurred to me to take longer. If I had to do it again, I would have taken a week as I was definately a bit pooped on the commute for the first few days.

It must hugely depend on what job you do ( office vs manual work), what your operation was like and if you have complications (open vs lapriscopal etc), what your starting BMI was, whether or not you get sick leave or have told people etc.

Anyhows I share this in the spirit of pointing out the other extreme. You must do what your body and doctors tell you!

Hugs
yoyo
x

I had lapriscocal Y-en-Roux bypass surgery privately.

I have two children aged 3 and 1 and a full-on job (12 hr days) so it was just never in my thinking that longer time off was an option. The provider's advice was to assume 2 weeks or go back earlier if you feel like it and me thinking - - there's no way I can take off 2 weeks, and that was that.

I was also super lucky with great surgeon and didn't get major wind pain.

Can't stress enough that I'm sure there isn't a magic answer and the safest guidance would be to follow the advice you are given by your doctors and listen to your body and err on the side of caution. My ignorance and foolish ways shouldn't be an example! I always feel freaky sharing it after others have come in with much longer times. But situation is everything and perhaps they were in very demanding physical roles or have open surgeries etc.

Others will weigh in I'm sure and everyone is different. Good luck with your journey. Hope I've just added a different perspective into the mix of feedback.

Hugs
yoyo
x

:confused: i am glad someone has asked this question, i am thinking about this too. i have 3 weeks before my op so i am trying to get in front with my work, i do have a manual job with heavy lifting so i know i will have to be careful afterwards (especially after reading Bonitas thread yesterday). I have loads of paperwork to catch up with so i expect i will be able to get on top of that.
I am also having my gall bladder out to i imagine i will have to be really careful.
The great news is that my daughter finishes for her school summer holidays on 17th july , so at least i will be at home for her.
It couldn't have happened at a better time really :D

Hi,
Just wondering how they decide on open vs keyhole. Sorry if this is a stupid question!!! Is it a case-by-case decision, dep on the surgeon or NHS vs private???

Thanks

This has been my biggest worry about the whole thing. As I am on probation in my job I am worried about taking too much time off and had to get a letter from the hospital for work confirming that the expected recovery time is 4-6 weeks. I am usually a quick healer and will be making sure I get plenty of rest in those first few weeks.

Back