• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

6 months down

shelleymarie

Hey all. I've just remembered I'm 6 months post op today! Wow what an amazing 6 months it's been. I hope you don't mind me sharing some of the great things that have happened.

As of this morning I'm 3lbs away from losing 9 stone.

I've lost 18 inches off my waist. I'm ashamed to admit my waist was as many inches as I was tall! Thank goodness no more.

I couldn't walk more than a few steps. My tiny 5ft 1 frame was literally crushed under my 26st weight. The pain in my back was so bad that even morphine couldn't help and I had to have a heavy duty wheel chair. Now I can walk miles and miles and go to the gym at least 3 times a week. Unfortunately I've been left with knee pain now I move more but that pain is nothing compared to the back pain I felt.

I've gone from a size 36 to a size 20. So excited about getting down a couple more sizes so I can shop in the shops I've always wanted to.

I couldn't work for years due to being too heavy to walk and severe depression. Within 8 weeks of my bypass I was asked by the vets I volunteered at to do a cover position and then a part time job, now I start full time job as a veterinary receptionist on the 14th of December which is just amazing for me.

There has been lots of other things that have been great too. I will say it's not been easy. As anyone knows who has been had the surgery it's never plain sailing. I was very sick for around 8 weeks and I still am now occasionally, I developed liver function issues when I couldn't keep much down in the early days but it's normal now. It's not like that for everyone but the first couple of months were awful and felt never ending but this seems so long ago now and definitely worth the positives that have come since then. You still have to constantly watch your diet and exercise but I Don't have the extreme hunger I felt before that made it so hard to do it on will power alone.

Anyway so that's a small snippet of my last 6 months. Anyone thinking about wls, I'm another one who recommends it.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me on here the last 6 months, you've been amazing. Here is to the next 6 months. Can't wait to see what happens :)

Last edited:
What a positive story. That's great about the job too, well done. I hope the next 6 months are just as fab for you x

Well done Shelley its great for people on here to be abke to read you rstory you have come so far and over come lots of health issues, well done you am very proud of you and wish you all the best for the next 6 months, keep up the good work xx Enjoy the job hope I can stay as positive as mine comes to an end and a new door opens fingers x

Well done Shelley and very inspirational

Well Done Shelley, I like to look at what you have been up to, as we have similar start times and similar weights although I have only just realised that you are really dinky height wise!!! (I have 6 inches on you oooo err Missus!!)
Well done
xxxx

Thanks everyone :D Thought I should also mention I'm off all blood pressure medication and now have a normal bp. My asthma is under control. I also gave up smoking a few weeks before the op and haven't started again, I don't plan to either. So far no deficiencies, fingers crossed that stays that way. My depression had improved greatly but unfortunately a lot of stress in my personal life and a sudden death of a friend has meant it's reared it's head again but I'm fighting it hard and I can still still all the positives in my life now.

Lol Lyzzyanne, yes I'm tiny underneath it all, it actually caused complications with my surgery. My surgeon said my abdominal cavity was like a child's but with adult sized organs, he really struggled and it took him 6 and a half hours to do the surgery as he was determined not to do it open. It was extremely painful when I woke up from the force he had to use but he very sweetly came and said sorry and the drugs they gave me were great (fentanyl and morphine) and dealt with it. I'm very interested to see if people notice my height more when I'm smaller.
Well done on your first 6 months too hun, so glad we have both done so well so far :) xxx

That's amazing news, shelleymarie :)
Like you I'm 6 months into my bypass. I've not lost as much weight as you have but I'm happy with my overall weight-loss as this is the lightest weight I've been in 13 years! :D
I have also come off my antidepressants and I've gotten a part time job which I love.
6 months ago I was too ashamed and depressed to leave my house, let alone apply for a job. I'm really looking forward to the next 6 months and I'm excited as to what the future my bring! :D

Well done Fading Grace and congrat's on your first 6 months too. It's incredible how much can change in six months isn't it? I think the job thing for both of us is probably one of the most important things as it's so important to feel like you are part of society. Fantastic :) xx

Thought I'd add a comparison photo. The first ones are from when I was on the pre op diet and the second ones I took last night. Sorry they are a bit rubbish photos, I'd just come in from work and I realise now that t-shirt is getting a bit big, I do actually go in at the waist now but I think you can see the difference anyway :) You can see more photos in my albums from pre and post op :)

Attachments

• 6 months.jpg
    6 months.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 68
Well done u have done so well, u must be so proud if yoursemd.Im new on here but have found it such a help. I've got my pre op on 14 dec ..... No idea how long I will wait for op after that??

fantastic story! well done Shelley :) x

Back