• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A question about my pre-op diet....

Alice

Loser :)
Hi girls,

I just wanted to get some opinions about my pre-op diet.

I'm starting the milk diet on Saturday, and I've got to drink 2 pints of milk and then 2.5 litres of other fluids per day. I'm also allowed 2 low fat yoghurts per day.

The diet sheet says I can flavour my milk with coffee once a day and vanilla once a day.

My question is:

Does that mean I can have a latte once a day? I'm addicted to them and always start the day with one! Or do you think it means I should add decaf instant coffee to hot milk?

Also, for the vanilla flavoured milk, should I just add a couple of drops of vanilla essence to the milk?

I know I could call the dietician for clarification - I'm just a bit embarrassed that I keep calling for things... I don't want to make a name for myself!! lol

All advice welcome! :D

Ta,

Alice xx

Hi Alice,I am not doing the milk diet so may not be much help but not sure about the latte I would say just instant coffee in your milk allowance I think. Best to check with your dietician to make sure! Good luck with it x

Thanks Ali - I think I agree with you... Think it was wishful thinking that I didn't have to give up my latte's!!

How is your pre-op diet going?

xx

Is it lattes made in coffee shops that you mean Alice? I would have thought that so long as you asked for a skinny it would be fine. Lattes are just espresso and hot milk, and espresso is just water thats been through a LOT of ground coffee, so theres nothing in there that you're not allowed. Maybe going for decaff would be healthier ;)

I would check with the dietician though just to be sure, please don't take my word as gospel!

Suggestion, could you ask your dietician for an email address? Its easier to email than to call for some people and you won't feel like you're bothering her.

Shel

Hi shel,

Yep I am talking about espresso & milk - I have a Barista machine in my kitchen (yes I am that addicted!!) I guess I am just not sure if "real" coffee is too polluting for the shrinking liver... Maybe I can buy decaf ground coffee...

Great idea about emailing the dietician... Thanks!

Alice xx

You can get decaff ground coffee in most of the supermarkets, I get it for hubby :)

Glad to help, I'm extremely shy so hate calling people and always ask for emails instead!

Alice are you intending on carrying on drinking latte's once you have had yr op. If not would now not be a good time to wean yourself off them. I too like you have a real weakness for them but have already given them up. I dont yet even have the funding but because i have a sweet tooth i am already trying to cut down and out things that would cause dumping syndrome after i had the op. Im working on if i can do without them now i can do without them after.

Eek!

No I wasn't planning on giving them up... Do you think I should?!

I always have skimmed milk and only have one a day (mostly).

I am having the band, not the bypass so I think that means I don't need to worry about dumping... Is that right?

Oh god it would not be fun to give up latte's. My 3 loves are diet coke, latte's and yummy food. I know I have to give up 2 of the 3 but I was hoping to keep my coffee...

Sob!

Isn't it funny how little things can make you panic about the procedure!!

Alice xx

I have yet to find a coffee shop that does skimmed milk they all seem to be semi skimmed. Di i take it you make yrs at home.
I think you are right about the band and dumping but the experts here will put us right if we have got it wrong.
Are you excited or nervouse at all?

Phew I think I'll be ok! I make my latte's at home mostly or buy them at starbucks... Either way, deffo skimmed milk and I don't take sugar.

I am really nervous but also very excited. I really want this to work for me. The main reason I'm putting myself through this is to improve my fertility. I've been trying for a baby for 4 years. I have PCOS which is exacerbated by my high BMI. I am at the IVF stage now but the chances of it working while my BMI is 41 are tiny. So if this band works, it could change my life in lots of very exciting ways!!

can you have a cup of just plain good ol fashion java pre-op, post op all the time????? i cant give up my coffee
susie

Hi Guys , I'm having my band on Monday...so excited !!. I am allowed unlimited coffee and tea before ( I'm on a pre-op diet) and after the op. Not been asked to drink Decaff etc. I'm having it done privately so whether or not its a NHS thing...but if i'm allowed it ...i'm sure you would be too but always best to check. In fact i have a Big Mug of Dowe Egberts fresh coffee with Skimmed milk as we speak ! xxx
Hope that helps ! xxx

Thanks Hun,

I think it will be fine. I was worried about caffeine ruining the liver detox cos my pre op diet seems pretty strict and plain.

I think I'll try and find decaf ground coffee and then I'm not in danger of ruining anything. I quite like the idea of a total detox next week.

How are you feeling about your op on Monday? Wow that's so soon now!! Really looking forward to your posts once you get home... I want every last detail of your experience!!

Alice xx

thanks lovebug, your my kinda girl. i dont think i could give up coffee and both diet cherry coke!!!
thanks susie

Hi Guys , I'm having my band on Monday...so excited !!. I am allowed unlimited coffee and tea before ( I'm on a pre-op diet) and after the op. Not been asked to drink Decaff etc. I'm having it done privately so whether or not its a NHS thing...but if i'm allowed it ...i'm sure you would be too but always best to check. In fact i have a Big Mug of Dowe Egberts fresh coffee with Skimmed milk as we speak ! xxx
Hope that helps ! xxx

Good luck for Monday you've done really well on pre-op diet, well done xx

Hi Alice,
How has day one of the milk diet gone for you hun - i think you started today??

Hi Ali,

It's been really tough. Been horribly hungry all day. My 2 yoghurts barely touched the sides and my mouth feels all slimey from the milk. Feeling really anxious about keeping this up for another 6 days...

Pretty miserable tonight... Think I'll just have an early night

Alice xx

:hug99: hugs Alice, it will get easier, just keep the end in sight and stay positive. Take it one hour at a time if that helps. I'm on day 4 today and don't feel at all hungry.

When things get bad you can always come on here, there's nearly always someone to talk to.

Back