• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A question for the ladies re. periods

wobbles

I'm just wondering if anyone pre op experienced really heavy, painful periods, which then became lighter and less painful post op and post losing weight?

Or experienced any sort of change to their menstrual cycle, or fertility once losing weight?

I'm really hoping mine will improve once i've lost enough weight.

Hi Wobbles, I have not yet had the op but from what I have read periods improve after weight loss. Hence the reason they recommend people to lose weight if wanting to conceive. I think losing weight has many many benefits just wish I was getting some of them just now lol...Linda x

Hi, after having the op I noticed that I had very frequent periods even with having implant in my arm, in fact was having them weekly! nurse told me that for a couple of months to expect really irregular periods until my weight settles. I have noticed that they are less painful but not lighter and the frequency has eased up.

Dont want to worry you as you may not suffer same thing as me, but it might be a good question to ask your surgeon!

my period started 5 days post op and was a long drawn out one i think to the sudden weight loss from pre op mine are always herendously heavy but as my weight went up the pmt got better i have been warned it may well return now weight coming off which im dreading one of my main reasons for op is to concieve again so im hoping next yr to be able to

I am getting less pmt symptoms than before the op but no let up in terms of the flow which is still heavy, but perhaps less painful. Maybe a bit more regular too (not always a good thing!)

Mine are heavier, but still as regular. Don't suffer much with pains, only vey occasional. I don't have any hormonal contraception as it makes my body go haywire.

I remember reading a while back that losing 10% of your excess weight doubles your fertility :D

Mine are heavier, but still as regular. Don't suffer much with pains, only vey occasional. I don't have any hormonal contraception as it makes my body go haywire.

I remember reading a while back that losing 10% of your excess weight doubles your fertility :D

Bliddy hell I hope not I am nearly 50!.............lol....Linda x

Hi I suffer with Pelvic Inflammortory Diease and always had problem periods.... however after having the op... I have just finshed my fourth period in about 1 half months..... but like caroline said... not everyone is the same, I spoke with the nurse too and she gave the same explanation.... mine aren't as painful but they used to only last 1 day now last for ever!!!!!!!!! Lol

Hi i have polycystic ovarian syndrome so have always suffered with heavy, painful and irregular periods.since having my op they have settled down and they are nowhere as heavy and painful. they do say that weight loss when you have PCOS helps the symptoms and it has for me. x

Thanks ladies. I think i will ask the sugeon about it, but considering they're already heavy and painful, i'm not looking forward to things getting worse before beter.

I've had problems for years with mid cycle bleeding etc and i can' take the contraceptive pill because it makes me bleed constantly, plus the gp won't give it to me because of my weight. I'd really like to hope that they'll improve once my weight stabilises at a healthy range.

How is inflammatory pelvic disease and PCOS diagnosed?

Hi Wobbles, my PCOS was diagnoised with blood tests and scans. Have had trouble for years and after trying for children for quite a while it was diagnoised. it has flared up throughout the years mainly after either one of my 3 miscarriages or after my 2 children. have never been pain free for as long as i have since having the bypass. x

Hi Wobbles,
I had heavy and long periods pre op and they seem to be just as long 4 months after the op, but are not as painful. It's been funny that my period changes my reaction to food every month. For example after my period in September I felt sick and had dumping sensations when i eat almost anything, but since my October period I seem to be fine eating most things. Weird.

well i jinxed myself on this thread im now having midcycle bleeding for the first time ever:(
just something for those with very heavy periods if you dont want any more children go ask your dr about lazering i was offerd a hysterectomy because mine are so bad i refused then was told about lazering it removes the womb lining so no more bleeding but obviously you cant have kids after but its non evasive compared to hysterectomy

Back