• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

After the op...

lollycakes

when you're back on normal food (none of the mashed/pureed stuff) do you find that liquids (such as tea, coffee, hot chocolate) fill you up in a similar way to a proper meal would?

when you're back on normal food (none of the mashed/pureed stuff) do you find that liquids (such as tea, coffee, hot chocolate) fill you up in a similar way to a proper meal would?

I am six months post op and a cup of tea fills me up even now i sometimes cannot drink a full cup of tea. janey:D:D

Ohh, that's good. I am having a little think about what kind of changes I'll need to make if/when I have the op, and I've found a lovely little website that sells all kinds of different teas (spiced winter, creme caramel, fruit, etc.) so I've emailed them to ask what the average calorie content of their teas are and if they are low enough I might consider using them as a form of meal replacement.

Ohh, that's good. I am having a little think about what kind of changes I'll need to make if/when I have the op, and I've found a lovely little website that sells all kinds of different teas (spiced winter, creme caramel, fruit, etc.) so I've emailed them to ask what the average calorie content of their teas are and if they are low enough I might consider using them as a form of meal replacement.
It wouldn't be a good idea to use liquid meal replacements post weight loss surgery. (I am referring to stage when you are eating solid food).Tea instead of a meal is a straightforward NO. You don't get any protein and not enough calories to sustain you. Remember that you will already be eating far less in a meal than you might do now. In a few words, you would be sabotaging yourself by using tea or any other liquid to replace meals after the healing stage. An exception might be a supplementary high protein drink.There is an informational post in the Sticky section which outlines the rules of the pouch. Have a read (relevant to gastric byspass).

Last edited:
I've given that post a quick scan over but all I saw was something about "water loading" which suggested you drink before eating to help you feel fuller for longer.. isn't that basically what I am suggesting? And what if it was balanced with protein shakes?

I dunno, I haven't had the op yet, I've only had my first appt with the nurse a week or so ago, so I am sure I'll get all the correct info at my other appts.

Would it be okay to drink tea (or any other kind of low-cal fluid) between meals if I got hungry? One of my big fears about WLS is that I just won't lose weight, which is a bit irrational considering the tiny amounts I'll be eating compared to now, but it still worries me. In my mind, it makes perfect sense to substitute calorie laden food (however small the portion is) with a far low calorie substitute.. but obviously I will do whatever I am advised by the bariatrics team, I'm just worried about failure is all.

The thing is, water loading is a technique for the mature pouch to help stave off hunger for up to thirty minutes. Hunger does return after wls. Water loading isn't a meal replacement as such. As your pouch matures, you want to eat solid proteins instead of drinking them. Also choose complex carbs to eat with your protein. This keeps you full and empties out of the pouch slower than say a liquid meal. This explains why even soup is not recommended after the healing stage and protein drinks are recommended as supplements when you've not managed to get your protein requirements from food.

The way I understood your post is that you wish to use tea to replace meals after the healing stage. I read the post I quoted together with your first. There you refer specifically to the post wls stage that follows pureed food.

It's more than okay to drink tea or no sugar squash between meals. You need to drink loads post wls. At a minimum 2 litres. Just be cautious about caffeine in tea or coffee as it is a diuretic and can dehydrate you. In fact, the standard practice is to avoid eating and drinking at the same time. That leaves between meals as the golden opportunity for drinking.

Last edited:
The thing is, water loading is a technique for the mature pouch to help stave off hunger for up to thirty minutes. Hunger does return after wls. Water loading isn't a meal replacement as such. As your pouch matures, you want to eat solid proteins instead of drinking them accompanied by complex carbs etc. This keeps you full and empties out of the pouch slower than say a liquid meal. This explains why even soup is not recommended after the healing stage and protein drinks are recommended as supplements when you've not managed to get your protein requirements from food.

The way I understood your post is that you wish to use tea to replace meals after the healing stage. I read the post I quoted together with your first. There you refer specifically to the post wls stage that follows pureed food.

Oooh, I didn't see the bit about a mature pouch. That'll teach me to skim over things isntead of reading them properly!

I don't WANT to use tea/liquids as a meal replacement, it was just something I'd thought of, but I wasn't sure if it'd work or if it was a negative thing.

It's more than okay to drink tea or no sugar squash between meals. You need to drink loads post wls. At a minimum 2 litres. Just be cautious about caffeine in tea or coffee as it is a diuretic and can dehydrate you. In fact, the standard practice is to avoid eating and drinking at the same time. That leaves between meals as the golden opportunity for drinking.

Ah thats good to know. Thank you, you've been very helpful :D

Think the advice is dont drink 30mins before food and wait 30 mins after eating before having a drink and dont drink whilst eating

Think the advice is dont drink 30mins before food and wait 30 mins after eating before having a drink and dont drink whilst eating

Yes this is the advice I was given. In addition to this you need to sip sip sip water all the time. Cups of tea are fine. I've had to change my habits though because I like to end my meal with a cup of tea, so now I have to wait before I have it. The other advice is not to drink withyour meal. This is because your body needs to absorb (because malabsorbtion is one of the purposes of this surgery) as much as possible and if it has fluid with it, you will fill up too soon.
I have read somewhere however that the exception to this is a glass of wine - when your provider says you can drink alcohol again (for me it's 12 months). That's because alcohol goes to your head more quickly following surgery and you need food to make the effect less. x x

very helpfull thread, things i never thought of.

I never finish a full mug of tea or coffee these days. When I'm full the drink backs up in my throatx

If you are experiencing this with just tea or coffee, sounds like your band is waaaay to tight, fluids should be able to go through normally.

Slight aside here. Could I have the web site address, my kids love whittards teas and choccy drinks and they are no more :(

Oh and I woudn't stock up on stuff b4 as you never know what you're gonna like after!

Back