• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Allergic to food and immune to diets: my gastric bypass story

Thaialina

Welcome everybody!
I am writing this thread partly to write myself better and to share my story with others who are like me. I don't claim to have all the answers, but hope that I can help somebody by sharing my experiences.
Since I can remember I seem to have always been on a diet because of my weight. There isn't one significant event that turned me to food, but the events that put me off my food have been rare and far between! I've always enjoyed my food and didn't like to waste any. I never used to have a sweet tooth, but eat large amounts of the right things and a few naughty bits in between. Regardless of what I eat I always end up gaining weight, which is why I'm suggesting that I'm allergic to food! Lol.
I have joined slimming classes over and over again over the years. Don't get me wrong, I have lost weight, but not as much as I needed to lose. After a while my weight loss would stagnate and I would lose motivation and then binge until the next fad diet came along.
Four years ago I started Slimming World for the second time. It was back in Wales, where I come from, and the class was friendly and I fit in great. Over two years, by following the plan and increasing my exercise, I finally lost a significant amount of weight in two years of sticking to the diet: 8 stones and 10 pounds to be exact. I was over the moon! I had never experienced being anywhere close to a size ten in my life and being under it made me feel like for the first time I could act like myself because people could see me as who I really was, instead of hiding under layers of fat. Unfortunately, I wanted to lose more and found it increasingly hard to stick to the diet as I was going through quite a few changes in my life. I kept stopping and starting the plan and, eventually, even when I stuck to the diet it wasn't working! This is why I have decided that I'm immune to diets! Lol.
My weight has fluctuated all my life and I know that yo-yo dieting does me no good. It frustrates me that despite my efforts, I still end up becoming bigger than I was when I started a diet when things go wrong.
It may surprise you that growing up in Wales I wasn't brought up on a "farm" diet of full-cream milk and home baked pies! I lived a fairly "normal" life where food wasn't a big issue for friends and family, so it baffles me why it has gained such an importance for in my life!
Moving to Manchester last year, having quit my job and embarking on a Masters at university, I thought it would be a fresh start, which might have influenced my weight and turned me into a trendy,a fit Mancunian lass! No such luck! I continued to pile on the pounds because of the busy lifestyle and, now, I'm almost back to my heaviest weight.
Before Christmas I looked into plastic surgery to see what it could offer me, but was disappointed to find out that they couldn't lipo all my excess fat! I came across the idea of weight loss surgery, but thought it was too drastic. I decided that I had lost the weight once and could do it again. Christmas came and went, but I still got bigger.
I have always felt like I have been in the "don't quite fit in" category because of my weight. I am morbidly obese at 17 stones and 5 foot 2, but I'm not quite as bad as the "Half Ton Dad" and friends on TV. My weight doesn't affect my health, but makes me different as I shop in different shops and am probably looked at in a differnt way by some people. This, obviously affects my self conscience- I want people to see me for me, not just as a fat person!
In April I decided that enough was enough and that my only hope of losing weight and, most importantly, keeping it off was through surgery. I spoke to a lovely surgeon called Marcus Landauer on the phone, as a result of looking at his highly accredited website. Marcus recommended that I have a gastric bypass as it would reduce my food intake permanently and stop me absorbing all the calories. I knew that going private was my only option as the NHS seem to only consider people who have health issues, whereas I'm healthy and want to lose weight to stay that way! Marcus referred me to Professor Basil Ammori at Spire hospital in Manchester. I had a consultation with him on May 2nd and he laughed his head off at me when I turned up with pages of questions from my very extensive research. He patiently answered every question and assured me that my odds were good as I was young, healthy, female and my BMI is only 43. My biggest worry was dying on the operating table! After an hour and a quarter of answering questions, I was partly convinced that I was better off going for the operation! I did, however, wart Marcus, who had said he would put money on me living through the operation, that if I died I would come back and haunt him!!
Since then I have met lots of lovely people on this website, who have answered every question under the sun and are a great support - thank you all!!
Today I went for my pre-operative tests. It was a doddle. They took my blood pressure (which is fine) and took some blood and urine to test. I have also paid in advance for my operation today. I feel quite naughty spending so much money on myself, but I'm hoping that it will be worth every penny.
I am now counting the days until the operation on May 31st. There doesn't seem to be a lot left to prepare. I have bought mouthwash, minty spray, airfreshener and tissues for after the op. I really will miss glugging down drink, so I'm hoping minty spray will make up for it!
Emotionally it seems to be a rollercoaster. I have the operation booked 2 days after my last exam at university. I thought the exams would stop me worrying about the operation, but the operation is distracting me from my revision! I also got engaged on friday, which I am really happy about. It's lovely to feel loved even at my size! If he loves me now I can't imagine how much he will love me when i have lost my weight and stop being so self-conscious and upset about my weight! I went to church on Sunday, hoping for some divine intervention. I'm planning to keep going because it feels right. My family and fiancee are all worried about the operation and I really do hate putting them through the whole stress, especially when my fiancee's ill himself at the moment, but I ahve explained to them that the risks are low and this is my choice. I have started writing letters to them in case, for whatever reason, I don't make it. I don't want to tempt fate, but as always like to be prepared!
After today I will have ten full days until the day of my operation. I intend to keep you all updated on the journey (in between exams and anaesthetic! Lol!) and hope that you share your experinces too.
Sorry for rambling on for what now seems like forever! I hope I've not sent you all to sleep!!
Here's to a slimmer tomorrow!!

Sara ................ wow! I was mesmerised reading that .. what a lovely insight into you!

Good luck for the op - and congrats on the engagement. I look forward to hearing how he op went. We've got a Manchester meet in June - but I don't suppose you'll be well enough to attend by then - but there's always the Liverpool one!!!

(((HUGS)))

HELLO AGAIN LOVELY SARA, oops sorry about caps. well i am so glad to hear all is going well. how much is private these days if you dont mind me being nosey. wow it seems to be going very quickly and the younger you are the more resiliant.
congratulations girl on your engagement that is truly wonderful and two new beginnings coming your way. i also think like you as i have a wonderful wonderful husband who loves me the way i am but i have to do this for the both of us an there are alot of things i want us to do together and i cant. my journey may take 3 months on nhs but at least it started. have lost 6 pounds so far pre op. my surgeon wants me to loose 25. are you on a pre op diet? your right once you start typing you just keep going lol. well i want to hear all about your journey, thanks for well wishes
susie

Hi Susie,
I hope your NHS wait isn't too long! Mine is costing £10,000 simply because I'm going with someone who is registered with every mediacla council etc going. You can get it done for around half the price, but the way I see it, your health is more important than money and I want the op to be as safe as possible. Don't worry I will keep you informed!

Hi Beverley,
Aww thanks for the lovely comments! Tell me more about this meet in Manchester please! When is it? Where? I hope I'll be well enough!!

I've put the links for Manchester and Liverpool down - would love it if you were able to come to either!

http://www.minimins.com/meetings-events/42493-manchester-meet-june-27-28-a-4.html#post653906

http://www.minimins.com/meetings-ev...11th-12th-july-all-welcome-14.html#post655617

If anyone else reading this wants to come along to these or other meetings, go onto the meetings and events forum (this forum and all meets are for all of Minimins whatever diet they are on/not on!) and put your name down.
The more the merrier - and they are really friendly. They usually start with a meet up at a bar on Saturday afternoon (quite often a hotel bar where people are stopping). * Not decided where yet. Some people are on SS so are only on water, others are drinking ... everyone chats for a bit - then we normally arrange to meet up again in the evening, usually at a restaurant, but people are free to go where or do what they want .. so if you are not eating and you want to just sit and chat, that's fine. Then after a meal, whoever wants to, goes off clubbing. Again if you don't want to, there are plenty of people who don't! No-one has to do anything they don't want to.

Partners, OH, friends are all welcome - no restrictions. And if anyone wants to come, but feels uncomfortable walking in on their own, PM me and I'll happily email you my mobile number and meet you outside, so you don't have to walk in on your own. I've been to 3 now .. 4th in Glasgow next week and they are great. I've made real friends, been inspired and motivated and it helps me with mini goals to stick to my weight loss!

So come along and join us!

Wow Sara!
Interesting and inspiring reading already! Thanks very much for your honesty - it is nice to know you are not alone in the way you feel.
Good luck with the exams and good luck with the op - I will be reading with interest as I am hoping to go private and have surgery myself in July - we are a similar age with a similar BMI x

Hi Ali,
I'm glad to have someone like me in the "don't quite fit in" gang! Lol. It's good to compare isn't it? Is your op arragned? NHS or private? I do read other threads, I just have a terrible memory!

LOL! I know how it is. I have booked an appointment with a consultanat at Spire in Norwich for June 16th (surgeon is off on a nice long holiday first!!) Now just need to get my GP to refer me to him which they insist on even though I am also going private......see GP tomorrow so will either be very happy or needing a rethink by this time tomorrow!!

Hi Ali,
That's weird. i didn't get referred through my GP at all for Spire Hospital. If the GP disagrees then try to do it the way I did maybe... Good luck anyway. Let me know how it goes...

Thanks will do - if need be I will travel to a different hospital here, but I am too chicken to go abroad on my own! Wait and see what tomorrow brings.....

hi sara its me lol well just read through ur thread and we all feel like that hun, my bmi was 65 to start with now its 49 i think lol, good luck with everything including ur exams, ive sent u an engagement card hope u like it, i always thought of u as a blonde lol 4 sum reason i dont know y but we r still welsh girls together lol, take care my friend, i wish u luck as u know i was 25 stone to begin with and my hubby is only 12 stone and he loved me for who i was he never saw me as a fat person not once did he ever say it to me in 25 years lol we have been married 23 years i married him wen i was 17 he was 20 and we have had 4 fantastic kids together so i know ur engaged now but i hope 1 day wen u marry ul have a long and happy marriage like me oh by the way i still want to be bridesmaid lol, i used to joke about that to my niece and she was horrified cos i told her i wanted to be all in orange to be just like a giant jaffa orange lol she thought i was serious, once again winky best wishes lv georgina xxx

Thanks again for your support smiley! Nope, I'm most definitely not blonde. Although they are meant to have more fun, I've had too many hair dye disasters to venture that far. A Jaffa cake bridesmaid sounds delicious. I might go purple like a dairy milk just to be different or go white like a milkybar...Oh, so many decisions. Lol.

really nice thread sara. lots of us on here have felt like we dont fit in and just get seen for the fat, not the person beyond it so its nice for us all to band together lol. will follow ur journey with interest (cos im a nosey moo :D ) xxxx

Hi Sara, You Look Very Lovely In Photo. You Must Be Getting Excited Now As Time Is Getting Closer, I'm Excited With You And Wish You The Beat.
Susie

Back