• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another daft question?!?

felicity49

Can you drink alcohol after surgery? I don't drink much, but I do like a bottle of wine at the weekends, sometimes 2 if it's a celebration! (Over the whole weekend that is!)

Bluebutterflier

Bouncing Bander
I havent yet...and I didnt during the milk diet either....im not a big drinker so its easy for me.

Im not sure when you can...obviously be careful and stick to guidelines x

felicity49

I was thinking about the band. I don't mean immediately after surgery, more like in the months and years after that.

Paul-H

Hi

You might be ok with a band but it's supposed to a no no with a bypass, although there are those so desperate to have some booze :) that they try it any way, some then find it makes them ill which is good as hopefully they stay away from the stuff, others find that they are ok on the devils brew and they often also turn out to be ok on chocolate as well, and we all know the slippery slope they leads to don't we. I am staying away from both as I don't want to know I am ok with them. The fear of being very ill should keep us on the straight and narrow.

Paul

Ruthiep

There are two main problems with booze.

1. It metabolizes much faster in the stomach pouch of all bariatric surgery patients so we get drunk MUCH faster on less. This could be a good thing if you only drink to get drunk; then you need less to achieve your aim. Leading to

2. It's a lot of empty calories and if you are trying to lose weight, it will hinder this.

That's all presuming your wine isn't fizzy which is a major no no anyway, and can, in combination with the empty calories aspect, lead to weight gain through pouch stretching. Mr Sufi my surgeon cited beer and wine drinkers as being the main group of people who regained after the sleeve.

I wouldn't say non fizzy wine was ruled out altogether, but a whole bottle or two, even over a weekend??

Janifred

I agree with the others. Why would you want to jeopardise your new life by reverting back to the old one after all the pain n healing you've gone through to loose this weight and live again?

chrisa

Well I have to say everyone that i ha dmy op last August and used to love nothingbettter than having a good drink, i still enjoy going out and having a laugh is till av a drink but on a much smaller scale i know its empty calories but it is nice to do it now and again and like i say it son a much smaller scale than it was, so everyone needs to let their hair down now and again. I only drank vodka and diet coke before the op i would once have had many of them and shots now i have water and 4 vodka and diet cokes at the most, thats from 7pm til 1am which isnt bad AND DANCING INBETWEEN, so i don;t feel guilty, it lets of steam and thats bout once every 4 weeks if i'm lucky. xx I am really proud of the weight i have lost but its easy to loose yourself and your identity by becoming obsessed with it, i have seen that happen too many times to too many people they loose weight and their lives and become the most miserable and nasty people, i do not wish to be like that. THis is what frightens me most. xx

felicity49

Bloomin' 'eck - I feel like a massive alchy now. I wouldn't say a bottle of wine over the weekend is lot. That's only 9 units over three days, which is well below the average intake!

chrisa

Bloomin' 'eck - I feel like a massive alchy now. I wouldn't say a bottle of wine over the weekend is lot. That's only 9 units over three days, which is well below the average intake!

I understand like i say i still enjoy a drink and enjoy going out. needs putting in perspective, n thats what you have just done. Don't stress we here to support. I ahve no wish to put any weight back on either, xx

JO28172

To answer versus judge...yes you can have wine after having had a band just so long as its not sparkling!

Yes they're empty calories but that's your decision and yes you do feel the effects quicker (bonus) lol :) enjoy !

Raynebubble

im 5 months post op (bypass)... i had two glasses of Rose wine on sat night... and i was blotto lol. xx

chrisa

I'm afraid i could always drink the best under the table, i am ok after 4 but won't be trying any more than that so i'm ok. Plenty of water with it though to flush it through. xx

felicity49

Thanks for those posts ladies - I do enjoy a few glasses at the weekend and I think I would be most miserable if I couldn't indulge myself then. Phew!!!

Ruthiep

I'm probably the wrong person to ask then, as I don't drink.

Chrisa: Diet coke?? Isn't that fizzy?

chrisa

I'm probably the wrong person to ask then, as I don't drink.

Chrisa: Diet coke?? Isn't that fizzy?

Not that fizzy out of a pump and i alwayz get a straw n stir the living daylights out of it i just sip it as well not neck the whole lot togetha. Not fizzy like a can or bottle would be an dits alwayz diet, if not vodka n coke i av water. but thats not every week end like i said evry 4 weeks if i;m lucky.

Natstar

Phew I am also gald to see this post - I am not a big drinker but I do enjoy going out socially and my db's family are big drinkers so i was a bit worried about never being able to have a glass of wine again!

I think I will have to just stick to non fizz which is fine by me and take it slowly, maybe diluting them slighlty or vodka and orange as that isnt fizzy, although it is high in calories from the juice.

hmmm I guess for us wino's out there we just need to see what happens and take it slow. I am more than happy to cut it out bar the odd occasion and in those instances I will sip my flat rose very carefully and slowly!