• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any advice about tiredness 6.5 months post op?

JOHNG79

As post title says, 6.5mths out my energy level has nose dived. Bloods say all ok, yet soooo tired. Lower legs/ calves are the worst. Feel so weak.

Any advice gratefully received.

Ah thanks for that. So weird as 2 months ago i was bouncing, now im drained doing slightest thing. Not panting and puffing, just feel weak especially lower legs

As post title says, 6.5mths out my energy level has nose dived. Bloods say all ok, yet soooo tired. Lower legs/ calves are the worst. Feel so weak.

Any advice gratefully received.
Have you actually seen your blood test results? Most are on a scale and it could be yours are at the lower end? Vit B12 seems to be the one they most worry about. I have found in the past Vit D levels have also been a problem. Are you on regular 3 months B 12 injections?

I agree upping your protein, particularly as you have lost such a significant amount in such a short space of time. Maybe you need to slow down a bit?

I know the sensation you are describing, as I get it sometimes - in fact have just got up from a nap as my legs wouldn't keep me upright any longer this afternoon. This was down to my gardening yesterday and hydrotherapy this morning.

A thought - have you had any infections, colds recently, any antibiotics that may have led to post viral fatigue?

Hope you feel better soon, but in the meantime make sure you rest. Your body is telling you something.

B12 range from 197-771 ng/L based on my results, and mine is 563 so that seems ok. Iron, calcium etc all fine. Yeah i get the injections every 3 months. Funny you should say that is i have cold like symptoms (runny nose/ throat tightness but not sore) regularly since the op, particularly after exercise. Usually go away within day or 2, but have had current situation for over week now.

6 month bloods end of july showed slightly lower white blood cell and neutrophils. However these were repeated last week and they are back within the required "normal limits".

Only thing on bloods is vit d deficiency, but my gp told me post op that most of population suffers from this based on climate.

Really strange. Start of june i felt i could do anything, now im drained. Understand that the initial high of more energy would gradually lower, but this is a plummet.

Very odd

Are you treating the vit d deficiency? I was very deficient before WLS and treating it did make a difference to my fatigue (although I then ended up with far too much despite just doing as I was told!)

I was told my Vit D deficiency 3 years ago was usual for someone who lives in Yorkshire, but that it should be treated. I was given a course of very strong Vit D to get my levels back up. It was the turning point in my ME and the muscle pains ceased. I have since taken a Vit D supplement, and it was one of the supplements I was prescribed post WLS anyway. Vit D needs calcium to work, and most of the time I can get mine from food so take it on its own, rather than the Calcichew they give you on prescription as it made me constipated.

Well worth a try of a supplement if you are not already taking one.

Lots on the web about bypass and Vit D https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=v...j69i57j0l4.18517j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yep me too, the good old Yorkshire summers. I think the fact I'm out of the house much more also made a huge difference :)

Are you treating the vit d deficiency? I was very deficient before WLS and treating it did make a difference to my fatigue (although I then ended up with far too much despite just doing as I was told!)
I take the calcichew (adcal d3) as directed but not sure if they have made a difference. Ordered some healthy origin vit d tabs online. Its only negative in bloodwork, but because of what gp told me in february i just put it down as something. Guess its trial & error with some things

Yep me too! I take the calcium supplements calceous on prescription and my multivitamin but I also take an oral vitamin D and a B12 spray. We can't absorb the B12 very well, so the oral absorption is better. I haven't needed a B12 injection yet. I also take spatone liquid iron as my iron levels were on the low side but not sufficient for intervention. However, I felt so tired and drained I thought it was worth a try. I don't know whether it was the vit D, B12 or iron but in a couple of weeks I felt soooo much better!

Even though it might be true that most of the population suffers from vitamin d deficiency, that's no reason not to treat it. Considering we all have such a low calorie intake as well (unlike most "normal" people), I would imagine low vitamin levels could also have a proportionally exacerbated impact on energy levels. Adcal isn't enough for treating vitamin d deficiency, it only has a bit of vitamin d added because it helps your body absorb the calcium. I was ordered to take Desunin as well (2x800 IU per day).

My first thought when reading your post was that you were anaemic because the symptoms sound very similar. But if your iron levels are fine then I would imagine it really is vitamin d that is the culprit (or possibly your stubborn cold).

Deficiencies can cause a LOT of problems. I never realised just how sick you can get from it, until I ended up in hospital again 8 weeks post op. The difference those intravenous vitamin infusions made - it was like night and day!!

Yep me too! I take the calcium supplements calceous on prescription and my multivitamin but I also take an oral vitamin D and a B12 spray. We can't absorb the B12 very well, so the oral absorption is better. I haven't needed a B12 injection yet. I also take spatone liquid iron as my iron levels were on the low side but not sufficient for intervention. However, I felt so tired and drained I thought it was worth a try. I don't know whether it was the vit D, B12 or iron but in a couple of weeks I felt soooo much better!
Does the iron drink not mess with your teeth? Early post op i was on ferrous fumarate syrup and my teeth were discolouring badly.

I use Vitabiotics Feroglobin Liquid, and have done for about 7 years. No discoloured teeth, and better still, NO constipation. Also contains B12.

I use spatone iron rich water, sachets that you drink, not noticed any issues and no ill effects on stomach or anything. I have the apple flavoured one. Still has a metallic taste but not too unpleasant.

Even though it might be true that most of the population suffers from vitamin d deficiency, that's no reason not to treat it. Considering we all have such a low calorie intake as well (unlike most "normal" people), I would imagine low vitamin levels could also have a proportionally exacerbated impact on energy levels. Adcal isn't enough for treating vitamin d deficiency, it only has a bit of vitamin d added because it helps your body absorb the calcium. I was ordered to take Desunin as well (2x800 IU per day).

My first thought when reading your post was that you were anaemic because the symptoms sound very similar. But if your iron levels are fine then I would imagine it really is vitamin d that is the culprit (or possibly your stubborn cold).

Deficiencies can cause a LOT of problems. I never realised just how sick you can get from it, until I ended up in hospital again 8 weeks post op. The difference those intravenous vitamin infusions made - it was like night and day!!
Hospital?? My god. Its mental that there are so many grey areas re. levels.

well i spoke to my "team" who have passed me back to gp, as surgery wise they are satisfied all is ok. Oh and reflux meds are now at same level as pre op.
Only real reason i opted bypass and not sleeve was acid. Even funnier was surgeon advised me to change meds back, bariatric nurse without speaking to dr tells me not to and go speak to my gp. Shambles.

All these people whos tablets reduce, mine are at least 2/3 times more. #badday

Back