• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

any nasty side-effects after the bypass?

mintball

Hi,

I've heard a few nasty stories post-bypass of people losing their hair or vitamin deficiencies. Anyone had any problems?

Hi Mintball, soz i dont know anything about this hair loss either but i have my opp on tuesday and thats also somthing i wanted to know about.... so if u dont mind id like 2 join u in trying to get more info. cheers wendy

Hi Ladies, I havent had the op yet but hairloss is a common side effect of rapid weight loss on any diet - not just post surgery. After losing 4 stones on CD in 2007 I started to shed lots of hair, but it wasnt noticeable to anyone but me, and soon started to grow back.

As for vitamin deficiencies, im sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think this only applies to bypass not band. As your intestine is the part of your body that absorbs all the nutrients from your food, and it is shortened during the bypass your body is not able to get all the nutrients it needs. Thats why you will have to take vitamins and other meds for life after bypass.

hope that makes sense

I am 10 weeks post-op and I haven't encountered any 'nasty' side effects. I have noticed more hair loss than usual but that always happens when I lose a large amount of weight (slimfast, ww, atkins, etc.). Because of the low-fat intake I have noticed my skin is clearer. Because of the calcium & high-powered multi-vit I take I have stronger nails. I was a bit windy for awhile so I started taking a probiotic daily and that has virtually gone away.

However, I am also not that far out yet, Crossing my fingers that nothing goes wrong for me.

I've not had hair loss as much as thinning. This is temporary and should only last 6 months, and there are minerals you can take to help with it. Small price :)

With deficiencies, this can happen if you don't take your vitamins and eat properly. So it's about getting your head in the right place and taking responsibility for yourself and your health by taking your pills daily (something that has taken me a long time to get my head around).

I've recently started noticing the hairloss, but only when I shower - it isn't falling out all over the place &, but like shelbel said, it's more thinning.

The vitamins & monerals (Forceval I take) cover the deficienies as far as I know - I get that checked for the first time Thursday (had 11 blood samples taken!!)

I did have dry skin for a while but that seems to have cleared up now.

Otherwise, all is well!

Back