• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any Negative stories about the Gastric Band?

EMPRESS PAULA

Hi
Everything ihave read recently has been so positive about the gastirc band, apart from some USA doctor on utube who has posted many stories about it not being good with clients telling their stories. But after further investigation i found he was a by-pass surgeon who had no believe in the band, and with him being the only person posting these videos i began to think he was just looking for more customers for his surgery!
So has anyone got any stories that are not so positive about the band, i can not believe that all i find is positive vibes! I am by no means being negative myself, i just want to get the full picture of the surgery before embarking on it myself.
Big Love to all xxxx;)

Mynewlife

I think Liz2008 could tell you a negative experience, as her first band failed and she had to have a second one put in. I must emphasise, and I am sure Liz will too, that this is a very very rare occurance. Nothing is 100%, there are some failures, but I think it is more to do with the individual than it is with band failure.

MNL:)

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
yep my 1st band failed after 3.5 years, wasnt anything i done wrong it just was broken, i had it removed and replaced last august and im fine, ive had all the ups & downs a band can throw at me but i still have no regrets. i didnt see this as a negitive thing as its just part of my wls journey.

liz x

Last edited:

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
There have been a few banders on here over the last 12 months or so that have had problems. Off the top of my head I can think of 2 who's port have flipped, 5-6 who are struggling to lose weight, 3-4 who have a long list of foods they can't eat (mostly things like veggies, chicken, salad etc), 2 band failures going for re-banding, 2 band failures going for bypass, and many who don't post anymore.

Mrs_CakeyBun

Joy's the best makeup :-)
but dont let that freak you out lol...Im sure if we asked the same of Bypassers we would get a long list too :D

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
both ops can have a negitive side to them, buts a chance we are willing to take to gain the benefits it can offer us in our lives.

AA1234

I think you need to ask banders for there experience rather than hearsay.

Like someone else said I could list a load of neg stories on bypass if you want to here them all but I think the best people are those that have had the band themselves and had neg experiences.

You already have one story form someone with a couple of challenges along the way but they are still happy.

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
the negitives that come with a band people are warned of before there surgery and theres always a chance that any of these risks with a band can happen to anyone, its a chance worth taking, and when a problem arises a good band provider can help you tackle band issues, its all part of the weight loss journey but you deal with it if and when it happens to you.

liz x

thinkbethin

Hi the negatives I've read have'nt put me off having the band. As others have said everyone feels different about their band. Some embrace it for what it is, A chance to help you get healthy when you work with it. Others may fight against it and push it to the limits where surgery was just a waste of time and these are usually the ones with the negatives. xxGaynorxx