• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone else waiting for funding?

gingernutter

I am still waiting for funding from the Luton PCT. I feel like a second class citizen. I have had to expose very embarrassing details of my life in order to appeal for my funding. How much worse can things get? I feel like I am fighting for my life and maybe I am. My BMI is now 50.3 but even this isn't enough for the PCT. I face the panel again on the Dec. i have a sleep apnoea test next week. Even this wont help unless it is sever.

Last edited:
:(Oh, hugs, (((hugs))). I know you must be so stressed. I have seen in several threads that there are many people waiting for funding so you ARE NOT ALONE!! You have bravely fought and I think you'll sway them. Your BMI sounds like it should be high enough??:eek:

Anyway, just stopped by to offer you some support but I am not help in the advice realm. We are all here for you and I am sure you can slogg through a bit more, you are obviously strong willed and will see this through.

Take care;)

Life does seem so unfair at times. Hope you get the result you want and need. you shouldnt have too but keep fighting.
HC

Hya Gingernutter, I have been attending the weight management since October, which may or may not make me eligible to 'beg' for funding.

People may think that I have got a bit of a cheek to even try for this as I paid for my own gastric band in December 2005 and it was discovered in february of this year that the band is leaking, in fact the actual band has a hole in it.

The surgeon says I will have to pay again, and I dont have that sort of money any more, so I asked my GP if he would refer me for NHS banding.

So you are not alone hunny xx

:)Hi, I am new to this so here goes. I saw my Dr in June, opted for the bypass rather than banding. Told my NHS doesn't do this will have to be put forward for funding. Saw Dr Decadt at Macclesfield Bupa hospital in July, and I have just had my op date for January 19th.
How long have u been waiting for funding?

Good luck, Sarah xxx

Hi Sarah, not seen you posting for a bit hope you are ok hun. you must be getting so fed up and frustrated not hearing anything. did you manage to complete your letter???x

:wave_cry:Hi Sarah,
I went to one Dr who said I wasn't BIG enough!!! I wasn't happy so I arranged another appointment with a dirrerent Dr who wrote straight away to the PCT. I think I have been lucky reading some of these blogs. I thought I would have to wait years, but It's just after Xmas. My 1st appointment in on 31st December with dietician, then on 9th January with Dr decadt, and then op on 19th January. I cann't wait.

I have suffered weight problems since my 1st child 11 years ago.

Good luck, Sarah (simoblue) xxx

Thank you all.

Yes Tammy I did get the letter written for the doc. I have knocked on so many doors in the hope of some help. I have backed up my case with 4 medical professional letters support my weight lose. Charlie girl has taught me that persistence WORKS!. I even wrote to another surgeon who is prepared to offer me a second option. I am fed up at the PCT who keep moving the goal posts. I am pleased to see people getting their funding and surgery. I must admit I am disappointed that my case seems very deserving yet in my area they are still not prepared to fund me.

It has taken me almost 2 years to get this far. I have followed all the correct path ways, all the drugs for obesity.Tired all the diets and all the slimming clubs. I am so tired of this but I will fight on.

Simoblue, that is marvelous that you dont have to wait for even one year!!! Why do the rules of the PCT vary so much, realistically it should be the same the country over, unless of course the excess wait would be life-threatening unless the op is done immediately.

So glad for you, good luck sweetheart xx

I also thought that it would take at least one year. I have been lucky, and also to have it done for the new year is also a great time as everyone else seems to go on a diet then anyway!!!

From seeing the consultant in July until I had the letter for the operation was just under 18 weeks. I still won't be able to stop worrying until the actual op is done.

I am so sorry to hear the position u r in sarah (gingernutter). But u have to keep going and banging on every door.

I can enjoy Xmas and then start the new year for a new me.
SARAH XXX

Thank you all.

Yes Tammy I did get the letter written for the doc. I have knocked on so many doors in the hope of some help. I have backed up my case with 4 medical professional letters support my weight lose. Charlie girl has taught me that persistence WORKS!. I even wrote to another surgeon who is prepared to offer me a second option. I am fed up at the PCT who keep moving the goal posts. I am pleased to see people getting their funding and surgery. I must admit I am disappointed that my case seems very deserving yet in my area they are still not prepared to fund me.

It has taken me almost 2 years to get this far. I have followed all the correct path ways, all the drugs for obesity.Tired all the diets and all the slimming clubs. I am so tired of this but I will fight on.

Sarah your determination will see you through chick...xx

i am also waiting for funding. i visited drs 12th nov, he was all for it and asked me if i wanted him to proceed, he said he will ring me, as i havent heard anything yet i dont know what happens next or whether i should be badgering him, but i shall leave it a while as it was only 17 days ago, but i just want to get on with it. before i found this site i thought it would be straightforward, but now realise i may be in for a fight..

i am also waiting for funding. i visited drs 12th nov, he was all for it and asked me if i wanted him to proceed, he said he will ring me, as i havent heard anything yet i dont know what happens next or whether i should be badgering him, but i shall leave it a while as it was only 17 days ago, but i just want to get on with it. before i found this site i thought it would be straightforward, but now realise i may be in for a fight..

After going to see the drs in June I got a letter saying they had put me forward to my PCT for funding, but couldn't guarantee they would grant funding. 3 weeks later I received a letter from Dr Decadt at macclesfield with an appointment to see him. From their he said my surgery would be september/october. As u can see my surgery isn't until january so the list has got longer by the day. I have waited only 7 months which is really quick. If u read other messages some have waited 2 or more years, depending upon where u live.

Good luck anyway, SARAH xxx

My gp reffered me to local hospital they have accepted me for surgery around march april time subject to funding that was on Oct 25th and still waiting its really frustrating as every person has a different experience and its the waiting and not knowing if only there was some uniformity like with all other operations then there wouldn't be so much stress and pre op rage hope its sorted out for you soon,

It quite literally is a lottery. We are now being told that obesity is reaching crisis point in the UK and yet there doesn't seem to be any coordinated approach. 'Fat people' are still left to fend for themselves and scorned for their 'greed' and 'lack of self help'. Billhooks!

And yet, for a non-essential addiction like nicotine, the DoH is falling over itself to provide funding and help on the NHS.

I know it is horrible waiting but you have a date and what a good start to the summer for you time will fly by...I wish the ones that are waiting for a yes get it so they can enjoy christmas time knowing the new year will bring them what they want...xx

Sarah you could go to sleep now and wake up on thursday then its only one sleep :D:D:D:D...only joking chick....poor Kev will be all on his own.....xx

just keep pushing and pushing and i hope it pays off, i think the way they decide on funding stinks!! keep trying and stay positive your time will come xx

Back