• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Approaching Surgeon to listen

wellington

Hi

I have posted a few times on, I currently have a balloon and this is due to come out around middle August, this was done as my start BMI was 62 and was told by the surgeon it must be much lower in order to operate, i have lost 4 stones in total now and my BMI is now 53, after my last appointment he says he wants it down to Max 48 and i have an appointment end July to discuss surgeries and get this done hopefully same time as balloon due to come out, so i am determind to get the couple of stones off before then

My real question is that i am hopefully looking to get a bypass and i have throughly researched this, prior to the balloon being inserted was a real chocoholic loved biscuits cakes etc would rather have rubbish than a meal which i know is totally wrong, but figured thats why a bypass would be better and also the high bmi, however after attending a support group and talking to others seems like the surgeon just tells you what he is doing and there was people with high bmi's that was told the band and reading between the lines had no say so

My first appointment was horrific and I suppose now i feel intimidated which i know i shouldn't but i do, but how do i state my case that i feel a bypass is better or even a sleeve as he is really hammering home about the anesetic and my bmi( I have not any other health issues apart from my weight), I know i can print loads of litreture off but i just what to make an informed choice, and want him to listen, I know they do bypass procedures as there was a woman getting this done when i got the balloon

i am an nhs patient

Can anyone help

Thanks Gail

Hi Gail. Do you feel your surgeon is pushing you towards another type of surgery? Your eating habits sound like mines and this is why I was twice recommended to have a bypass as it has the 'dumping syndrome' to deter against too much fat and/or sugar.

Going by what you have wrote, a bypass is definately for you. Does he do bypass surgery or only bands? I would stick to what you want and if he doesn't agree with you then ask can you have a second opinion.
By the way go armed with literature about Surgery, let him know you have researched and statistics show....Statistics will show and literature will show that the bypass is more suitable for people with your type of eating habbits.
Good luck

Back