• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bad breath /bad taste in mouth

Purple Sparkle

Hi Everyone

Nearly 3 weeks banded and all going well apart from I can't get rid of bad taste in my mouth.

Immediately after surgery because I was dehydrated I got furry tongue for a few days, that has now cleared up and it is now just my breath. :eek:

I clean my teeth at least 3 times a day, and use a non alcohol mouth wash and I also use a tongue scraper. Have a regular check up with my dentist and never had any problems.

Am wondering is it to with what I am eating? High protein, low fat. Anyone else had this issue or got any suggestions please?

Thanks

Justine x

It could be due to diet, I know if you are in ketosis it can cause you to have smally breath so if you are sticking to high protein low fat/carb this could be it? the best solution to that for me was drinking lots and fresh mint mouth spray! x

Thanks Nina - will keep drinking and spraying til it sorts itself out! :)

It does go once you are back on proper foods in reasonable amounts again. Till it does go, you feel like a monster though :eek:

Definitely not - chewing gum is a major no-no for banders.

No it's not. A lot of people with a band and through various providers are totally allowed to have chewing gum.

No it's not. A lot of people with a band and through various providers are totally allowed to have chewing gum.
I do wish there were one set of guidelines..Im overly confused... :/

Today is the first time Ive had the bad taste..its really not nice at all is it....I just want to feel normal AGAIN :/
I have dreadful nausea to

It's ketosis! Great for the initial weight loss and stops the hunger in the early days but it's horrible for your mouth and breath. When you can eat more it will go so keep to it and know it will pass. I brushed my tongue and teeth a lot x

THG advise against it:

Gastric Band Diet plan & advice - The Hospital Group UK :: Weight loss | The Hospital Group

And there's advice everywhere on the internet saying not to.

But if your provider says it's fine then maybe it's fine for you.

I'm staying away from it as advised.

I'm at same group and I agree with you..however both my daughters have had a band and they chew gum for a few moments to freshen breath, they do not continue to chew as it causes a build up of air in the stomach and is quite painful :/

so you mean chew on them and it helps the breath situation :)

so you mean chew on them and it helps the breath situation :)

Yes, chewing parsley is the European way of coping with garlic breath but I think cardamom works better and lasts longer, it is what Indians chew for garlic and curry breath and it really does work but don't swallow the pods as they are a bit tough and indigestible. They are also good added to tea or coffee but you need to crush the pods first to release the the little black seeds inside.

Back