• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Balloon

loughpet

Hi,

Does anyone know how much a balloon costs in the UK? I would ideally like a band fitted but only have about 3stone to lose so not sure I would be eligible for one.

Also has anyone with around the same weight to lose as me had a balloon fitted.

Thanks in advance

i'd stay well clear of the balloon if i were you. you can only have a balloon for a few months (about six i think), then the weight comes back on again.

When I first met my surgeon he asked me which surgeries I had heard of, I spouted them all off, including the balloon and he told me about each one but for the balloon he said something along the lines "that one is pointless".
There was a guy on Fat Doctor who wasnt well enough to have main surgery but badly needed to drop the weight to save his life because of his heart, so they fitted the balloon but it really didnt do all that much for him and when that programme ended he was in pretty much the same position as he was before the balloon.
I THINK it is mainly used to get a very very heavy patients weight down to a level of where they can have surgery that is more long lasting as once it is removed the weight will come back on.
Doesnt seem like something to do as a long term solution. Have you checked if your BMI is high enough for a band, maybe that is still an option, it sure is more long term.
Steph xx

I know someone who had one to help them get to a healthy enough state to later have a bypass. The balloon worked while fitted but weight is now slowly returning as she cannot have the bypass due to other health problems.

Hi

Do a google search for gastric balloon and Im sure 100's of providers will appear. Bear in mind though that with a BMI (body mass index) of 27 - 35 surgical intervention is not always available or recommended.

Im not sure what your BMI is but with 3 stone to lose you may fit into the not recommended category.

Good luck x

Hi,

I only had 3 stone to lose and went to ask about a balloon at my consultation but after a chat they decided a band would be better for me and fitted me with a band which has now left me 3 stone lighter. But most importantly I'm keeping it off which I have never done before, even though I had to pay to to have it done with the Hopsital Group, it was well worth it.

Back