• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BYPASS help please

girly girl

:confused:Hi i am waiting for my next app with surgen about 7 weeks i think but am wating to find out more about bypass befor i go so can anyone tell me what is to much suger befor dumping eg 1 bar of choc (normal size) is not eating sweat things for life or just a year or so ,what vitamins do you use ,do i have to take protein powder,has any one lost there hair after surgery,how long after surgery befor i will be able to do thing like pick my kids up and do normal things (eg house work):rolleyes:,i need all the info i can get so when i go i no what im asking for thanks, LISA:D

Gerry

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum Lisa.

I can't answer all your questions as I am still waiting for my op, but there are many on here who have had theirs and they are lovely people and very helpful. From what I gather, there are a few things you have to be careful of, but in time many seem to be able to eat what they ate before, just much less of it. My friend says she enjoys a treat size chocolate bar once a week, sometimes just a cube a day and she cuts that up.

I know you have to be careful after the op about picking up anything heavy. I think that's for about 6 weeks or so. You also have to be careful with driving. Your hospital should give you a booklet that will give you information or you could go onto Google and do a search there, but personally I'd say read through some of the great accounts from those who have actually been there and done it on this site. Everyone is really helpful and will be happy to answer your questions.

:)

Silversurfer

:confused:Hi i am waiting for my next app with surgen about 7 weeks i think but am wating to find out more about bypass befor i go so can anyone tell me what is to much suger befor dumping eg 1 bar of choc (normal size) is not eating sweat things for life or just a year or so ,what vitamins do you use ,do i have to take protein powder,has any one lost there hair after surgery,how long after surgery befor i will be able to do thing like pick my kids up and do normal things (eg house work):rolleyes:,i need all the info i can get so when i go i no what im asking for thanks, LISA:D

Hi Lisa

Dumping syndrome is different for each of us, some of us can eat things that others find make them dump, its just a trial and error thing to work it out for yourself, also there's different forms of dumping, some dump immidiately and others take longer, i'm lucky as i dont really dump, though i do get really tired after a full dinner, i've been advised that this is a mild form of dumping syndrome, and kind of feels like the feeling you get after a big full monte roast dinner.

Your consultant will advise you on vitimins post op, dont worry its not as bigger deal as some make it out to be, you wont need to start vitimins until your about 6 weeks post op anyway, but when you do you'll get your head around it in no time.

Hair loss - sorry cant really advise about that although it is a byproduct of rapid weight lose ! but i'm informed any thinning does re grow as the weight lose slows down, and i beleive there's a raft of different products you can take to slow or prevent the lose of hair.

Richard

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
can anyone tell me what is to much suger befor dumping eg 1 bar of choc (normal size)

For me, I can manage a treat size bar of chocolate, but no more, and sometimes that is too much as my dumping tolerance changes daily! I went through a phase a few weeks ago of dumping very easily.

is not eating sweat things for life or just a year or so

For most people, your intestinal tract will gradually adapt to the change and dumping will lessen, but again it varies.

what vitamins do you use

I take forceval once a day, 2 x calcichew, 15mls of ferrous fumerate, zoton fastab (antacid), zinc and selenium. All prescribed.

do i have to take protein powder

Nope. I have low sugar protein shakes occasionally when I don't feel like food or when i know I've not had much protein. It's far better though to get your protein from natural sources.

has any one lost there hair after surgery

Not heard of anyone losing their hair, but most people will experience thinning. This only lasts around 6 months and if need be you can get selenium and zinc on prescription to help it.

how long after surgery befor i will be able to do thing like pick my kids up and do normal things (eg house work):rolleyes:

Will depend on you, and whether you're having lap or open surgery. I picked up my nephew (2) 1 week post op, but it was only once and it was uncomfortable. I found it uncomfortable to use my stomach muscles too much for the first 6 weeks. I am still unable to do housework :8855:

Hope that helps.

Shel

mandy130

Hi Lisa,

I will try and answer some of your questions although as already said its different for us all, I am 8 months post surgery now and I am a member of a few support groups designed just for weightloss surgery and everyone I know from there has different results with eating.

1. so can anyone tell me what is to much suger befor dumping eg 1 bar of choc (normal size) is not eating sweat things for life or just a year or so.

They say that you should not eat any more then 5g of sugar in any 100g of food, although it is different for everyone and some people dump on a very small amount and others can have alot more. Personally I find it very hard to dump and haven't done so for quite some time, but have to add that my craving of sweet things has diminished and I very seldom even eat it now and have heard others say the same.
Having this surgery is a lifelong commitment so although after 12 to 18 months you will be able to eat more and pretty much what you want, in order to maintain your weightloss it is suggested that you dont go back to bad habits following this period.

what vitamins do you use

I use a multi vitamin and also take selenium with zinc (for hairloss) and calcium, your dietician and surgeon will advise you of what you need to have when you see them.

do i have to take protein powder

I was advised that my protein intake should be 80g per day, I do use protein shakes (powder) however, do be careful as some of these can make you dump. I use Body Fortress Whey Protein which I got from Holland and Barrett, I have not experianced any dumping on this, but as i said before everybody reacts differently to foods.

has any one lost there hair after surgery

Some people do and some people dont, but have to admit that most of the post bypass people I know have had some degree of hairloss. I for one have had alot of hairloss, I dont have any bald spots or anything but my hair is very thin. I have noticed that it is starting to grow back (thank god) so it doesn;t last forever.

how long after surgery befor i will be able to do thing like pick my kids up and do normal things (eg house work)

Everyone is different (seems I have said this alot, sorry) I personally was ok after 2 weeks, but have known people to take alot longer....I was swimming by week 4, this maybe a bit too soon for some but it really does depend on how you feel, only you know how you are....if you feel up to it then try it, if you dont then wait a while until you do.

I hope this gives you some insight into what to expect with the bypass, it is not an easy choice to make and alot of people make the choice without properly thinking things through, but in saying that....I have not heard many people say, i wished I hadn't had it done...more like they wished they had it done sooner......im one of them!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide and if you have anymore questions fire away, there are plenty of people on here that are more then happy to answer them for you.

Mandy x

girly girl

Hi
thank you for all your help just want find out all i can so i know what im getting into dont want any big shocks later thanks again,

tendersage

Hi and welcome, as has been said everyone is different.

I am 1 week post op and as yet have not 'dumped', my energy levels are slowly building and although my children are now adults i couldnt see me lifting one for a while.

I was advised to have 3 protien shakes a day plus to take the calcium and multivits + minerals in chewable form - Bassetts active health was recommended from the start, and i actually started them a month beforehand to help build me up prior to the op.

As for hair loss its too early for me to know about that yet, however i understand that all those who lose a lot of weight have some but that its never really noticable, just a thinning in keeping with the slimmer you