• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calling All Vegetarians/vegans

Bellydancer57

I have always been rather intollerant to meat & poultry bordering on allergic. Since being sleeved I can't manage it at all. I find even meat substitutes such as Quorn difficult. I have really struggled to get my daily protein as vegetarian sources although good, require me to eat a volume that I find difficult.
I do take protein shakes that I make up with fruit & milk. Also high protein soups.
I find I can only manage about 2 - 3 spoonfuls of lentils, chickpeas, soya beans, tofu etc. then I feel full. Last night I had 3 small pieces of paneer in a tomato sauce & felt so full. Heeeelp!
I would like to chat to vegetarians & vegans who have been sleeved or had a bypass about their weight loss journey & food choices.
I have done a bit of research on the Internet but not a great deal to there even on the US sites.
Thanks.

Quinoa is an excellent source of protein. It can be used in soups, or a replacement for rice, pasta or cous cous.

What about pulses hun? Although not vegan nor vegetarian, I do follow some vegan cooking sites as they use lactose free products only. Also soya milks are higher in protein than cows milk

I'm a vegetarian, not sure how I'd cope with the bypass if I'd been vegan as I use eggs and dairy for protein as well as other food sources. I agree that the 'bulk' is sometimes problematic with veggie protein so my two little standby saviours are a pot of 0% fage - about 16g of protein, and a skinny latte which is about the same.

I'm ok with Quorn products but my pouch isn't keen on soya and I often feel (or am) sick if I try. I know we are encouraged to keep trying various foods as they wont always have the same effect - but the pouch is adamant, no soya for me!

An issue I had was the prescribed vitamins and iron because neither are suitable for vegetarians, I purchase liquid vitamins from biocare and so far my blood results are all in the normal range. I had my op in January and have been discharged from the care of both the hospital and dietician (unless I ever need them) The hospital are currently researching veggie bariatric vitamins as it is something that might come up again for others.

Depending on your protien target the fage and latte tricks might get you close. Good luck.

Thx everyone. The main problem is actually having the quantity. I am very au fait with all types of veggie alternatives but in order to get adequate amounts the volume is to much for me to comfortable consume as a portion. Fage yogurt & skinny lattes are great but pretty limiting. Most of the veggie protein require a cup in volume to get anywhere near a decent protein portion. I can't manage this at all even cooked in recipes. I try little & often but then find I can't fit in my fluids. I seem to be in constant eating or drinking mode just to fit in the requirements. Coupled with I am never hungry anyway I find it overwhelming. Scared though tht I miss out nutritionally if I don't try hard. Anyone else out there experiencing the same?

Whilst I agree that fage and skinny lattes are limiting they are a good way of bumping your amounts up easily. The latte has the double bonus of counting towards your liquid too!

I don't think I realised just how much I'd have to concentrate post op. Food choices now relate to which has the best protein level rather than what your head fancies. Still v happy despite the occasional gripe about it

Anyone else out there experiencing the same?

I'm not a vegetarian, so haven't had the issue of protein intake longer term - all I can say is in the first few weeks post op I was v.worried that I wasn't going to get enough protein in me, especially during the recovery stage, so took a "protein shot" each day for the first 24 days (e.g. MET-Rx Super Whey Protein Shots).

On average these give you (as you prob know already) 26 / 27 grams of protein a day in less than 90ml of liquid. Down side is they are not cheap.

Others make up whey protein drinks, which works out cheaper than these shots.

I've also heard of people getting some supplement protein powder that they sprinkle on their food.

All not great options on the food front, but would prob help boost what good food protein choices you already make.

Thx for that. I will give them a try when I get home. Sitting here in sunny Bermuda sipping a vanilla protein milkshake that I added some coffee to (40g protein). Tastes like a creamy cafe latte milk shake so gonna do this when I get home too. Yum!

Back