• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can i get advice if i qualify for Gastric Banding/Bypass on the NHS

Welshgog

Hi everyone,

My name is Annie, im 24 and new to the site. I have been reading and a bit worried i will be turned down banding on the NHS.

Im 24, 5ft 4in and have a BMI of 49. I have tried all sorts of dieting and pills like Adios and Reductil from mt DR. I dont know whats wrong with me but i cant seem to keep it up after a few weeks.

I was abused as a child and my father died when i was 19 and i find comfort in food. I feel so bad about myself that a while back i attempted an overdose, i feel like i cant live in my skin anymore, i cant even look in the mirror. This has affected my marriage, we even broke up for 6 months and my working life. I have to stand a lot in my work and have been offered a full time position in June and feel i just wont be able to do it, i feel really ashamed of myself that i have got to this point. Food is like a drug to me and i just cant stop, it's like an alcaholic or drug abuser, just my drug is food! ! !.

My mother went to my DR and talked to him without me knowing (we have the same DR) and he said he wanted to see me, that he could help.

He said i may qualify for Gastric Banding and i have now got a letter for an appointment with the surgeon. I have read up about this surgeon and it all says that there is a problem with obeisity here and that he will only consider extreme cases and that they only have funding for 12 a year.

I am now worried because i know this is my last hope of a happy life, what do you guys think my chances are???

All comments are welcome good or bad.

Annie
x x x :eek:)

hi annie ive heard funding is realy difficult to get in wales, its a long shot but worth a try and it may take a while and still get refused, most people in your area usually self pay as the nhs funding isnt there which is very unfair.

i wish you luck hun.

liz x

Hi Annie welcome to minims sorry you are having such a rough time
I know how hard it can be
Try not to worry wait and see what the surgeon has to say. Your GP must feel you have a good chance or he wouldnt have written and the surgeon wouldnt be seeing you if they didnt think you might qualify
Keep strong Iam sure it will be fine

Love n hugs Jay xx

Hi Annie:welcome2:, I'm sorry to hear you're so down sweetheart. Have you ever had councilling for the abuse and for the way you comfort eat??? If your weight is such a problem to cause your marriage break up then I really think some councilling would help. I hope things go well with the surgeon but be prepared for him suggesting councilling (pschyche assessment) as this is the norm with some surgeons. Please don't feel alone as you can talk to any of us on hear anytime. We may not always have the answers but we all have big hearts and broad shoulders. Take care and BIG HUGS to you. xxxGaynorxxx

Hi Annie, The first thing to remember is that IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT. You've been through a terrible time and your feelings and emotions must be so mixed up. I wish you all the luck in the world when you see your surgeon. If you can't get NHS funding some private organisations offer to spread costs. Weight issues bring our confidence down and you seem to be in a spiral of depression, comfort eating, weight gain, depression. WLS will help to break that spiral. Counselling would be a good idea - and some hospitals offer this to help you deal with the underlying issues which lead you to overeat. Good luck sweetheart - when is your appointment with the surgeon? Remember, even if the budget is used up for this year he could always put you on next years list! Big hug, Zxx

Hi Annie welcome to minims sorry you are having such a rough time
I know how hard it can be
Try not to worry wait and see what the surgeon has to say. Your GP must feel you have a good chance or he wouldnt have written and the surgeon wouldnt be seeing you if they didnt think you might qualify
Keep strong Iam sure it will be fine

Love n hugs Jay xx
Hi Annie - lovely to have you join us. I agree with all of the above i know it's hard and we have all experienced the same feelings as you sometime in our own lives. I don't know much about funding anywhere so i can't give you advice on that, but what fairyring said is true your GP wouldn't have referred you and the surgeon wouldn't have sent out an appointment if you didn't meet the initial criteria. We will all keep everything crossed for you and hope some lucky fairy dust comes your way so that you will have some luck!!! Don't ever feel alone someone (in fact loadz of us are always here), try and be positive and take it one minute at a time - big hugs to youx

Hi Annie, sorry that you are going through such a crisis at the moment. I think advice to go to counselling is a good idea.

Re. WLS and weight etc. do you live in Wales? Whereabouts?

Back