• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering Lap Band Surgery!

Lori1964

Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and have been reading how helpful everyone so hoped you could help me make up my mind. I am thinking about having Lap Band surgery as I have about 9 stone to lose, and was wondering if anyone out there who has already had the surgery can answer a few questions for me.

1. Is the recovery time as little as 1 week before returning too work.
2. Post op is it very difficult to stick to the liquid only then soft food diet for the first few weeks.
4. Do you really find it difficult to eat too much and do you ever feel hungry.
3. Does this operation stop you enjoying a good social life in that you can never eat out again or have a drink.
4. Can you feel the fill point under your skin.
5. How quick is the weight loss over the first few months.
6. Finally do you think it is worth it or do you regret having the op.

I would appreciate all your replies and any other info you think would be useful.

Many thanks
Lori:)

sorry dont know any of the answers as im pre-op waiting for my band to be done in a couple of weeks! just welcome to the forum i have found it a great help and everone is very welcoming im sure you will get an answer to your ?'s soon. x

id personally take 2 weeks just to give yourself time but if you have a non physical job im sure a week would be ok we all heal differently tho

2. Post op is it very difficult to stick to the liquid only then soft food diet for the first few weeks.

no its alot easier than you think because there isnt the hunger there was i was glad however on week 3 to go back to normal food

i still get hunger but cant eat more than i should or i throw up or it hurts some foods do go thru the band easily tho so they should be avoided
3. Does this operation stop you enjoying a good social life in that you can never eat out again or have a drink.

no you can still drink eating out iv not done yet but have eaten at friends and i just eat less
yes i can feel mine its sore for about the first 6wks then not at all

be prepared preop diet you lose a bit then for first few weeks also but then you have to wait to your fills for restriction so the weightloss is slower than with bypass iv constantly lost 1-2lbs a week since op which is about whats expected. with the band its slow steady progress not big drops in weight

i wish id had my band sooner it is the best choice i ever made and i never want to be without it. it does take work and isnt an easy option but in my opinion its worth it

1. Is the recovery time as little as 1 week before returning too work. Im one week post op today and I guess it depends what you do for a living...Im off for 3 weeks as I drive and operate a large lorry/mobile library so I cant get iin the cab and stand all day but if I was back in the office yes could face work on monday but would probably be very tired.
2. Post op is it very difficult to stick to the liquid only then soft food diet for the first few weeks. Im not finding it hard at all this week I did 12 days pre-op liquid and its not been hard at all so far...and considering its easter thats hard for many but not for me right now and I used to be the worlds worst lol
4. Do you really find it difficult to eat too much and do you ever feel hungry. Im not finding it all hard to limit my liqiud meals as I just cant eat (physically cant) more than I should
3. Does this operation stop you enjoying a good social life in that you can never eat out again or have a drink. I bloody hope not lol...when i did my research this was one reason (of MANY!) I went for this surgery rather than others...it will be a case of all things IN MODERATION!
4. Can you feel the fill point under your skin. I can but it feels no differetnt to feeling a bone like a rib or somthing not at all freaky
5. How quick is the weight loss over the first few months. ive lost 20lbs since mothers day
Im only one week post op but I believe so far this is the best thing I have ever ever done for myself...even when I felt like death in the first few hours after surgery I was so glad I hd done it xxx

Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and have been reading how helpful everyone so hoped you could help me make up my mind. I am thinking about having Lap Band surgery as I have about 9 stone to lose, and was wondering if anyone out there who has already had the surgery can answer a few questions for me.

id recommend 2 weeks to allow healing and getting used to the band.

no, this isnt difficult at all as the initial restriction felt after the op is due to swelling this takes away the hunger.

portion control is learnt over time with a band, if you over eat on the wrong types of food you will vomit, just a tip try using a childs size plate and cereal bowl as this helps keep the portions under control.
i feel hunger now just as i did prevous to banding.

eating out is ok for me if i plan ahead, i always check menues first and see if theres band friendly food on them, alcohol can be consumed the same but yiu have to be aware of the hidden calories it contains.

my port is in my chest on the breast bone i can feel it but in time you just learn to ignore it.

1-3llbs a week is achieveable if the effort is put in.

i have no regrets, the only regret is that i didnt do it sooner.

I would appreciate all your replies and any other info you think would be useful.

other info.... the band is only a tool to aid weight loss, you must use will power with sweet foods when banded as the band will not stop the quantity of chocolate and ice cream that can be cosumed. work with the band rules and the long term rewards are there for you.

Many thanks
Lori:)

hope that helps

liz x

I am also pre op but found the answers fab thanks xxx

Many thanks everyone for the wonderful replies. The band does seem to have more pros than cons and its great to see how you are all coping so well with it and losing so much weight. Can I just ask what your diet now consists of post op.

Many thanks
Lori x

Many thanks everyone for the wonderful replies. The band does seem to have more pros than cons and its great to see how you are all coping so well with it and losing so much weight. Can I just ask what your diet now consists of post op.

Many thanks
Lori x

hi lori, a typical day of eating would be a baby bowl of cornflakes or branflakes with skimmed milk.

for lunch i will have something like a small peice of chicken, a scoop of mash and mixed veg, or salmon i do like salmon with a few new potoes and a sprig of brockli.

in the evening i either have just soup, (no bread) i have that most evenings
or a small jacket potato with either baked beans or tuna/low fat mayo as fillings, i love jackets as theres so many choices of filling so i dont get bored with them.

drinking plenty of water through the day is also very important.

portion control is the key to success.

liz x

Thanks Liz,

It is good to know that you are still able to eat good healthy meals, albeit smaller amounts, all my friends have been telling me all sorts of stories about what your diet consists of after the op and I am pleased to see they are wrong...lol.
I live near Newcastle so not too far from you. Can I ask where you had your surgery and who did it.

Cheers
Lori x

i was nhs banded at sunderland hospital by mr small. where abouts are you located ?

Liz im in Cramlington. My GP is not helpful at all so I will be going private if I decide to go ahead.

im just on the otherside of the tunnel, so not far at all, see another gp hun everyone has the right of a referal if they fit the criteria.

Thanks Liz that is good advice and I might just do it, how long do you generally have to wait on the NHS, do you know?

in our area its approx 6-8 months from meeting the surgeon, it depends where you get refered to, its always worth an ask with the nhs, i was prepared to wait that little bit longer as i simply could not afford the op or the lifelong after care a band needs.

Well Liz I think I will have a ring around of GP's in the area next week and let you know how I get on if I do. Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated.

Lori

no probs... a few of us in the chat room atm, come and join us ?

Hiya.
If you can take the two weeks off, do that.
As your only on liquids, you don't have the energy to do much. Plus your bruised and battered

No, its not difficult. You can't do much else as your sore. But by the time soft food comes round, your ready for scrambled egg.

Don't feel hungry any more as I try and eat every 4-5 hours, whether 3 meals then just fruit or crackers in between. Yes its difficult to eat too much, by about 9-10pm just can't anymore, too uncomfortable and in pain and you really know you shouldn't have eaten that and need to walk about and breathe. Eyes too big. lol. You learn about yourself.

No it doesn't stop you having a social life, just when we go out, looks like we're tight now and just have enough money for one meal. Heehee.(Or thats what I think they must be thinking) Its pointless buying a meal for yourself its just a waste, (OH ends up eating it, plus his own) So just be careful choosing off the menu, I get a starter for my main meal.

Yes, sometime its feels tender but you get use to it.

For me, it was quick. Few stone by my 1st fill.

Totally worth it. Its taken over our lives this past year and thats all the dinner conversations with family and friends is about. My eating!!. But wish I had done it years ago.

All the Best

Back