• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Cough and cold medications

pooh71

I'm struggling to find a medication I can take for coughs and colds that are bypass friendly and blood pressure medication friendly!! I'm taking sugar free liquid paracetamol but that's not having much impact. I've got a really sore throat (possibly tonsillitis) and have sugar free strepsils, but still no effect :(

Can anyone recommend anything? Otherwise I think I'll have to go to the docs if it doesn't clear up and see what they suggest, but they don't understand WLS! X

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Hi Hun nothing really helps try gargling with soluble paracetamol drink plenty of fluids broncho stop is good for coughs xx

I have been using Tyrozets for my throat - no noticable bypass-related consequence And am using now a chemist own brand chesty expectorant. On the forum there is a lot of understandable 'no NSAIDS' talk which of course after bypass is very true. But in very extreme circumstances I know from my team that just as a one off soluble anti-inflams are OK. What we must not do is take them regularly and in indiscriminate quantities. The dose must be taken with food. I had soluble Voltarol tabs in my discharge meds pack from the hospital. But 'no NSAIDS' is the rule to adhere to if you have a bypass and only take the one dose if all else fails is what I have been told, and they do help with a heavy cold x

Last edited:
Brill thanks. I know I can't have certain expectorants with my blood pressure meds, but will keep an eye out. My throat is a bit better today. It's just I know if it goes onto my chest I usually suffer quite badly so am getting prepared! xx

Honey, lemon and hot water is that aloud as it works

I'm not sure I'd be able to take the honey.....but maybe lemon brandy and hot water ?:) X

Back