• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

did other peoples "wounds" itch as they healed?

Mrs_CakeyBun

Joy's the best makeup :-)
OK so this may sound strange but my wounds from surgery (last Saturday) are itching like mad! now I suffer from CIU (Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria) and because of this my skin itches pretty much 24/7 (for the last 4 years) on and off but this is a different sort of itch. The nurse a few days ago (Wednesday) said itching and healing go hand in hand but I wondered if anyone else had suffered with this itching healing problem?

and if anyone else has Urticaria come say hello as I haven't met anyone else with it ever :confused:

Here is a link to more info about CIU Urticaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes! It means the skin and tissues are knitting. I can even feel my insides itching!

Hi Wanda - hope you are well, apart from the itching!

Yes, my scars itched like crazy. I have psoriasis which has tendency to form on broken skin so like you does not help! I bought some bio-oil from the chemist and I am finding that really soothing, perhaps try some and hopefully it will help.

x

Thank heavens begining to think I was going mad.....will get some Bio-oil to try on them....another question if you had like big butterfly/sterri-strips closing your wounds how long till you took them off? I would post a photo but scared of freaking people out...mine are closed with wide tapes and I wondered how long before they come off? I have adhesive melonin dressings covering those that I have changed every few days but the actuall sterri-strip stuff?

Thanks and sorry if this is freaking out squemish people:eek:

Hi wanda I know its my elbow but only just over 4 weeks post op, its itching like crazy I've been using Bio-oil twice a day. Its on offer at boots at mo 3-4-2

Ali

As i said it my elbow but had the sterri strips on for about two half weeks till they sorted stitches out dont know if that helps

Ali

from what I can see I dont have any actuall stiches just the strips...but rather than phone the nurse on a bandkholiday I thought I would ask here as your all so helpful :D

Will go get it while its on special then as it expensive stuff

have uploaded a photo of my port wound into my album so non-squemish people can see what I mean about tapes

Last edited:
Hi Wanda

I had stitches and had them removed 2 weeks after op but my port site started to open so had to have steri-strips put on to keep it together - yuk! I reckon they'll need to stay on for a few more days and perhaps then they can be replaced with smaller strips on the widest parts if necessary.

yep mine itched alot , its a good sign means your getting better.

I really hope so as they are starting to irritate my skin (cos of the ICU) and tho im good at not scratching and wear mittens in bed to stop me scratching my skin in my sleep its still rather wearing lol

I have a reaction to steristrips, my skin blisters underneath and they itch too! They leave awful scaring. Does your skin look red around the strips Wanda?

no not at all red so I don't think its actually irritation to the strips...I am very "Dermographic" my skin goes very red if it gets rubbed or irrittated and I'm not getting that from them however as I move around and they pull on my skin it does irritate the ICU and then it does go red and itch from that...the actually itching I'm getting is from the actual site of the wound so as the others say...if its not sore or angry and it seems well healed I will just tough it out and get a nurses appointment as soon as to get her to check and see what ones are safe to come off

Yep my scars itched and also Iwas told that the steristrips would just peel away on their own and thats usually a sign something is fully healed.

Bear with them a bit longer if you can....:)

Back