• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Did you get a band or a sleeve?

Both and both were successful in terms of weight loss :D

I wasn't the largest of patients so didn't have as much as some to lose but things have changed a lot since I got my band in 2009, when it was a very popular choice for private patients. Although I had my band removed and converted to a sleeve through the nhs there are a lot more sleeve, bypasses and mini bypasses being done now. In 2009 the sleeve and mini bypass weren't options.

I did have issues with my health that having the band wasn't helping, so it had to go. Life is much simpler with 'my' sleeve as I no longer suffer from reflux (acid - very painful and food - very draining). Which is down to the treatment I was receiving after my band was removed. This included lots of vitamins as I had become deficient in a number from the sickness. I still take a multi vitamin plus a vitamin d with calcium twice a day - so the potential to become malnourished is not limited to any one surgery.

I would advise anyone to go to their consultation with an open mind but with some research behind them. Let the professionals guide you to the right option for you :D

Hi there, I had the sleeve a year ago and am very happy with my choice. The recovery was very smooth, and I was up and about (although still taking it easy) after a few days. I have now hit my goal, and am maintaining very well :)

I was thinking bypass because of my weight but my dietitian seemed to prefer the sleeve as he said it is easier to eat socially after. I am really not sure this is true and I am keeping an open mind but I am starting to hear a lot of positive stories about sleeves.

I went for the sleeve despite already having long term acid reflux (successfully controlled with medication both before and after) because the malabsorption of the bypass could cause issues with medication I'll be on for life (multiple none weight related disabilities). It's also a quicker op so less time under a general and I have bowel issues so colorectal didn't want me replumbed ;)
I was NHS not private and they don't offer the band any more because they said patients had a lot of issues and some cheated (but if you want to you can get round any type of WLS). There's plenty of successful banders here though. You need to keep doing your research, figure out what you need from WLS and what will work. Some people want the threat of dumping from a bypass if they eat too much sugar, others prefer the fact the band is only going to restrict how much you can eat. I was ready for irreversible surgery but the band can be removed. My BMI was the same as yours and so far I've lost 106.6% of my excess weight according to my team so I'm definitely all about the sleeve ;)

I went for the sleeve despite already having long term acid reflux (successfully controlled with medication both before and after) because the malabsorption of the bypass could cause issues with medication I'll be on for life (multiple none weight related disabilities). It's also a quicker op so less time under a general and I have bowel issues so colorectal didn't want me replumbed ;)
I was NHS not private and they don't offer the band any more because they said patients had a lot of issues and some cheated (but if you want to you can get round any type of WLS). There's plenty of successful banders here though. You need to keep doing your research, figure out what you need from WLS and what will work. Some people want the threat of dumping from a bypass if they eat too much sugar, others prefer the fact the band is only going to restrict how much you can eat. I was ready for irreversible surgery but the band can be removed. My BMI was the same as yours and so far I've lost 106.6% of my excess weight according to my team so I'm definitely all about the sleeve ;)

It is so tricky. I hadn't even thought about ability to absorb medication! I am not considering the band. I just don't have time for all the refills and I would probably find a way to cheat pretty quickly.

It should have been a year and because the tier 3 provider changed it was nearer 18 months but I always have it to contend with medically so that was ok :) Plus I needed the time to get my head around all the life changes I'd need to make and feel ready. In the end it meant when I was walking done to the theatre I was a bit nervous (I don't enjoy operations no matter how many I have) but equally I knew I was doing the right thing and was ready for it.

I was in HDU the first 24 hours as planned and was quite unwell but even at that point I had no regrets and remain confident it was the only choice I could have made :)

A lot has improved and most of all I feel stronger physically and emotionally which I need because as we all know weight loss doesn't necessarily cure everything :D It still feels unreal sometimes, I was so big for so long and I didn't hate my body either so it annoys me when other people assume I did. It's also been hard trying to cope with other people's reaction to me losing weight, not least assuming I want to talk about it all the time because I don't well except here :) WLS is a very private journey for me. That's why I am so glad I found this place where I'm really happy to talk about it all and compare stories x

can i ask what weight you were when you had it converted? and your so right anyone can get manlnourished if they do not choose to eat the right food so i will make sure i include all the food groups , my gut is saying sleeve is the best option , i do have one concern about it but i think it will be fine, thanks for your help

No problem. My stats show under my photo. If your viewing the site on your phone, you might have switch to landscape view to see them.

I think it would be worth you exploring the NHS route in your area, just to see how long you would have to wait. I am really glad I couldn't get it straight away as it gave me time to research and get my head around the drastic change in lifestyle. It also gave me the motivation to try and lose something by myself as my head just wouldn't do it before but I had to to qualify. I need the motivation, and being able to get my knee done was it. Now I am on the list I know the motivation has dropped and I need to get my head in gear again.

Think of all that money you could save and not be worrying about loan repayments! You say you are on DLA - what would happen when you get re-assessed for PIP? I am expecting to be reassessed in the next 12 months, and am worried I won't get PIP and lose my benefits and my car...

Back