• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dolan Park-Gastric Band-30 April- Where to stay after

wildthing

Hi
I'm off to Dolan Park for my Gastric Band on 30 April. I don't want anyone to know so I am driving early hours of morning from South Wales to get there by 7 and as they have said I can't drive for 24 hours was going to stay at the Ladybird htoel the next night before driving back to South Wales. Has anyone else done this and is the Ladybird hotel near the hospital, it appears to be only 10 mins away?

sorry chick, can't help but didn't want to just read and run

my first advice is take the train i couldnt push a trolly ride my bike or walk for more than half hour for fist week although the op isnt a bad one its not worth taking the chance even one day post op is too soon as to where to stay im not from that area but im sure someone will point you in right direction

hello, i had my op at dolan park and i couldnt drive for neally a week as it felt uncomfortable and as u have a long distance to go id take a train or ur best friend someone u trust not to tell anyone

I would definitely do the train...

After this op there is no way you will be able to drive, as for a start you will be on high dose pain medication which could make you drowsy and the fact you have had a general anaesthetic.

Also I can tell you you will be very uncomfortable, I had to put a pillow between me and the seatbealt and I could not twist to put that on.

For safety's sake, please do not atempt this drive.

Agreed - you won't want to drive. I had a 1 hour journey home from Dolan Park and even as a passenger, it wasn't fun. I didn't get behind the wheel myself for about a week. Even on the train, I would worry about walking and carrying bags. Is there no one you could trust to come pick you up??

As for the ladybird, I think it's the closest hotel to the hospital. I've not got any personal experience, but Ive heard it's fine...

Good luck!

I drive as part of my job and when I had a chat at my pre-op (for a band) I was told I should NOT drive for at least 4-5 days as the painkillers and anaesthetic is till strong in your blood stream and this makes it very dangerous to drive. not to mention as the others said you will be in pain etc.

its costing me £1000 more to have my surgery close to home as I could have saved that by going to Preston but the thought of sitting in a car (driven by hubby) for those hours ( I live close to London) just a day or 2 after my op made me spend the extra for my own comfort and peace of mind.

Please please reconsider how you will get home from Dolan Park

The Ladybird lodge is very near and very helpful comfortable etc. My husband stayed there when I had my op.

I stayed in the Hilton........must say it was very nice and not as expensive as I thought it would be. There is also a travelodge nearby if your on a budget. You wont be insured to drive for at least 5 days after having anesthetic and in fact the nurses at Dolan park advised a week. I couldn't have driven if i'd tried lol xx

I found this bit of info, just to back up our wishes for you not to attempt the drive and have someone with you.

You will be allowed to leave hospital when you are safe and well. As anaesthetic
drugs disappear rapidly from your body, these are likely to have little effect on
your recovery. However you are advised to take things easy for the first 24 hours
after an anaesthetic and should be accompanied by a responsible adult during this
time. You should not return to work, operate machinery or drink alcohol, for 24
hours after an anaesthetic. You must not drive a car for a minimum of 48 hours
after an anaesthetic. Your insurance will not be valid if you do.

Hi, I stayed in the ladybird lodge the night before my op at Dolan Park and found it to b really nice - it was prob less than 10 mins to the hospital from there and if u ask the staff at both the hospital and the hotel taxis can b arranged. Taxis were always outside the hospital anyway. I`d agree with the others regarding driving home though, I had a two hr journey home and I was a very uncomfortable passenger lol - wouldn`t have liked to drive home by myself. Hope this helps xxx

Thanks everyone, I have been looking at train times and am going to stay in the Ladybird hotel the night before and get a taxi to the train station the morning I'm discharged, its a 2 hour train journey so shouldn't be too bad.....Really don't want to tell anyone I'm doing this as I know they'll all try and talk me out of it cos of the expense and the fact I'm only 2 stone overweight and I could lose that by dieting blah blah blah! Can't face another 20 years of slimming clubs/pills/laxatives etc though. Wish me luck!

You should tell someone you are having an operation, as you really should have someone with you when you get discharged. I know my hospital would have kept me in overnight if I hadn't. You will be very very tired and I think for your own personal safety you should confide in a friend.

If they love you they will understand why you have taken this measure to prevent unhealthy weight gain in the future.

just to say Ladybird inn is lovely not far from hospital but take the others advice and have someone with you there must be someone you can trust , you will find that you need a friendly face honest, afterwards who cares what anyone thinks, if I lived nearer I would come and support you
Sandra :p

Back