• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Driving Post Op

LowTofu

We were told to practice the emergency stop before driving and to call our insurance to get the all clear. I don't remember them giving us a timeframe. By day 9, I was crawling up the walls inside and really wanted some normalcy, so I checked my emergency stop but gave calling the insurance a miss (bad, I know). I found driving fine.

I had my By-Pass on Monday and drove home on Wednesday. No pain or problems. After my sleeve I was driving after 10 days. It depends on how you feel. As long as you can turn and twist without pain and do an emergency stop without a problem it should be fine.
Be guided by how you feel and have a little trial before going far.
If on doubt check with your surgeon and insurance company. We are all individuals and feel different levels of pain after an operation.

I started again at 2 weeks - just a mile down the road and steering was a bit painful. I did practice what an emergency stop felt like - this is the main insurance requirement. At 3 - 4 weeks I did a 120 mile round trip to meet my daughter who was emigrating to NZ to say goodbye. That was fine. It depends a lot on the type of roads you are driving on - I found motorways easier than country roads, and I am sure power steering helped.

Currently have been told with my knee op not to drive for 6 weeks because of insurance and it isn't a surgeon decision although my body apparently would cope with it sooner. If in doubt consult insurance company I think (as I will be doing in the next couple of weeks).

Back