• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating habits & lifestyle prior to surgery

pink bubbles

Hello all
I'm Sorry to be asking what may seem like silly questions but I'm trying to find out as much as possible before I go see the surgeon & wondered if anyone could tell me what their eating habits & lifestyle was before either bypass or banding surgery & the reasons why you chose/were advised to have either the bypass or the band?

I will obviously be guided by what the surgeon advises for me as we are all so different but as you have actually gone through it & live with it everyday I really value your opinions & will be such a happy bunny if I can get a bit of a clearer picture in my head before I go.

Is it that in general the bypass is better for people who eat big portions & the band better for people who snack often & have a sweet tooth or vice versa? (crikey I do both! Some days not a lot but big portions & some days lots of snacks! - oh dear I am doomed!!)
I know both must be used as a tool & I know about the vitamins & injections & fills & dumping etc etc

My eating habits are erratic to say the least lol I spent many many years not eating anything throughout the day just drinking what must've been gallons of sugary coffee, then having a large tea with the kids & then a supper with chocolate bars & crisps in between - not good I know!
Then when I was 18 stone I was prescribed xenical, & began using sweeteners instead of sugar, I used semi skimmed milk , never ever ate any fried foods or visible fat, eating only a salad sandwich & an Iceland chicken dinner each & every day I lost weight but it was SO difficult & SO boring so I tried adding & chopping & changing a few things but pow! Within a short space of time back the weight flew!

I also tried to listen to my body only eating when I was hungry, the trouble is when I did & still do eat, I can't stop at a tiny (normal) amount, oh no I have to go the whole hog until I feel full.

My husband eats much (& I mean much) more than me & is so slim it's unbelievable! We look like Jack spratt & his wife! Lol
I know a lot of it boils down to exercise but I simply can't manage it anymore as my tummy measures 55 inches, & as I have small hips & relatively slim legs I get terrible backache etc,( I'm like a weeble wobbling but not falling down !!)

It would be great if you could advise!
Many thanks
Xx

alliecat

frustrated bander!
Hi!! Well, before the op I had had appaulling eating habits for many years!! I had trained myself to be able to eat huge quantities, and mainly sweet things too - most days I would have 0 out of my 5 a day!! Life was a round of sweets, crisps, takeaways, ready meals, ice cream, chocolate, more chocolate and a bit more chocolate if you get what I mean. I was a size 22 when I left school at 16 and for almost 20 years yo-yoed between around 14 and 19 stone.
When I went for my consultation with my surgeon I was around 18 and a half stone and I am about 5ft 6. By the time I started my pre-op diet I was just over 19 stone - I thought I may as well make the most of the last opportunities!! (My BMI was around 43 when I started the pre-op diet and 41.5 on the day of the op)
I was very unsure as to which procedure to have. From my reading I thought probably the bypass was better for me as I have such a sweet tooth and ate such huge quantities but after talking to my surgeon, discussing my lifestyle and considering my age (35) and starting BMI I ended up opting for the band.
I had my op on Monday, have felt great and have no regrets so far!! If there is anything else you would like to know just shout and I will try and help - I know how much i was helped by the advice and support of others here. Good luck xx