• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding

Alia

Hi all

Just wanted to ask about all this funding stuff every one is talking about. This was n't my experience at all. I got referred to my surgeon by my GP, I saw him, then saw the dietician and was then given the ok for surgery, I did n't have to go through any complicated funding issues and was wondering if this was normal or have I just been lucky

Hi Alia,

I went private. I went a week between initial consultation with the coordinater, dietician and surgeon (all 1 after the other 1 day) until my surgery. I'm glad they could be so efficient and quick because I would'nt have coped well at all with the long waiting game I seem to read a lot about on here. Hats off to them all, they are doing so well and being so patient. Good things come to those who wait. Keep your chin up guys.
Kind regards R x

hi all

just wanted to ask about all this funding stuff every one is talking about. This was n't my experience at all. I got referred to my surgeon by my gp, i saw him, then saw the dietician and was then given the ok for surgery, i did n't have to go through any complicated funding issues and was wondering if this was normal or have i just been lucky

hi alia mine was the same simple process as yours.

liz x

Dead lucky you were. High BMI counts for ease of process. I notice yours was 64 at start. Mine's is 56 and should mean I pass through the funding hurdles with ease but sadly not so. Lots of miscommunication and misunderstanding btw hopsital, GP and PCT and I'm caught in the middle trying to get everyone to iron out the kinks. Hospital received my referral and following nice guidelines noted that I qualify for wls as a first option. They decided I didn't need to be seen for a first appointment but needed funding in place before referral. This after giving me an appointment to see the consultant within 3 weeks of GP referring me. I thought then it was too good to be true and sadly it was. Hospital bumped me back to GP but didn't expalin that I automatically qualified for wls because of super obesity. GP insists he can't apply for funding till I've been seen by consultant first. Consultant's secretary and everyone at hospital maintain I must have funding in place (as I have known all along). Explained that given my bmi and if I was sure wls is what I want then first appointment is not necessary. PCT woman, lovely on the phone but never returns my calls explains hospital (Salford Royal) have a pot of money in place to see bariatric patients and that funding applications will only be processed when consultant gives go ahead. It seems that they all talk to me but not to each other. More than 6 weeks later and I'm still waiting. GP finally (after much prodding and poking) sent new referral and application for funding simultaneously but I still can't tell you were I stand. It's not that I expect to have surgery within 6 weeks of referral but I just want to know that things are moving along even if I end up having surgery within the standard 6 months. Right now I'm stuck at square 1.

So yes, you had it easy and straightforward but that is not the norm. It should be.

Last edited:
Hi, My Experience was pretty much the same as yours and I know a fair few other people had the same as us..... It depends alot on where you are and what PCT you come under I think..... also on any other medical factors you have.....

So we are the lucky ones so to speak..... it is bloody awful the trouble some people are having trying to get funding!!!!!!!!

I was so lucky to have been left some money by a great-uncle to be able to go private, otherwise i would have had to go through that terrible process.
Going private is a totally different world to the NHS, it was so quick- i got to choose my op date which i wanted ASAP and the staff where totally brilliant.
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Dead lucky you were. High BMI counts for ease of process. I notice yours was 64 at start. Mine's is 56 and should mean I pass through the funding hurdles with ease but sadly not so. Lots of miscommunication and misunderstanding btw hopsital, GP and PCT and I'm caught in the middle trying to get everyone to iron out the kinks. Hospital received my referral and following nice guidelines noted that I qualify for wls as a first option. They decided I didn't need to be seen for a first appointment but needed funding in place before referral. This after giving me an appointment to see the consultant within 3 weeks of GP referring me. I thought then it was too good to be true and sadly it was. Hospital bumped me back to GP but didn't expalin that I automatically qualified for wls because of super obesity. GP insists he can't apply for funding till I've been seen by consultant first. Consultant's secretary and everyone at hospital maintain I must have funding in place (as I have known all along). Explained that given my bmi and if I was sure wls is what I want then first appointment is not necessary. PCT woman, lovely on the phone but never returns my calls explains hospital (Salford Royal) have a pot of money in place to see bariatric patients and that funding applications will only be processed when consultant gives go ahead. It seems that they all talk to me but not to each other. More than 6 weeks later and I'm still waiting. GP finally (after much prodding and poking) sent new referral and application for funding simultaneously but I still can't tell you were I stand. It's not that I expect to have surgery within 6 weeks of referral but I just want to know that things are moving along even if I end up having surgery within the standard 6 months. Right now I'm stuck at square 1.

So yes, you had it easy and straightforward but that is not the norm. It should be.

Wow I'm really shocked at the pain and trauma people are having to go through to get this life changing surgery.

I consider myself incredibly lucky especially is this was a revision of a failed stomach stapling op I had 10 years ago, so technically I've had 2 bites of the apple with no fuss what so ever. My first surgery was done at chelsea and westminster in London in 1999 and it was the experience from hell and led to ten years of suffering but I did n't need to have funding for that either, just a referal from the gp, saw the dietican and the shrink there and on to the waiting list which if I remember correctly was only a couple of months.

Its so said people are being denied the chance to have this life saving surgery because of red tape and money issues

I was so lucky to have been left some money by a great-uncle to be able to go private, otherwise i would have had to go through that terrible process.
Going private is a totally different world to the NHS, it was so quick- i got to choose my op date which i wanted ASAP and the staff where totally brilliant.
Xxx Lizzie xxX

I would love to go private and have had key hole surgery but with 6 children and me not working due to medical problems money is tight and I'd never have been able to afford it.

However even it being on the NHS it was a wonderful experience second time round, couldn't have asked for more caring doctors and nurses to look after me, I was treated like a princess, they were at my beck and call for everything

Chin up you guys that are fighting for it, I'm sure with your determination you will get there.

Does any one know if there is any one here who has tried and tried and been rejected every time and now has no way a trying for surgery any more

Hi Alia,

I went private. I went a week between initial consultation with the coordinater, dietician and surgeon (all 1 after the other 1 day) until my surgery. I'm glad they could be so efficient and quick because I would'nt have coped well at all with the long waiting game I seem to read a lot about on here. Hats off to them all, they are doing so well and being so patient. Good things come to those who wait. Keep your chin up guys.
Kind regards R x

Hi there
I'm hoping to get mine done privately the first week in Jan. Just wondered how you were finding your band and if it's living up to your expectations??
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Back