• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric balloon on the NHS?

DQ

Minimins Admin
Does anyone know if it's possible to be referred for a Gastric Balloon via the NHS? :)

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
yes they do it on the nhs but its a short term solution, usually kept in approx 6 months

DQ

Minimins Admin
Thanks Liz :thankyou:

Rising_Sun

Chugging along
Hi DQ,

Sorry to be a pooper but I read somewhere very recently that the balloon is harsh on the stomach and is not used in the NHS. I'm trying to see if I can find the web page and post it. I've not personally known anyone who has had the balloon on the NHS.
xxx

charliegirl

Blondemoment aka Di has just had the balloon fitted, I am sure she will be along soon and advise you. Di had originally gone for a bypass and it was not able to be done due to liver problems she was told to lose 5 stone before they would operate and gave her the balloon to assist in the weight loss. Di will advise you fully on this....xx

DQ

Minimins Admin
Hi DQ,

Sorry to be a pooper but I read somewhere very recently that the balloon is harsh on the stomach and is not used in the NHS. I'm trying to see if I can find the web page and post it. I've not personally known anyone who has had the balloon on the NHS.
xxx

No pooping - am just scoping around for info at the moment, so thank you :)

DQ

Minimins Admin
Blondemoment aka Di has just had the balloon fitted, I am sure she will be along soon and advise you. Di had originally gone for a bypass and it was not able to be done due to liver problems she was told to lose 5 stone before they would operate and gave her the balloon to assist in the weight loss. Di will advise you fully on this....xx

Thank you Charliegirl :thankyou:

BlondeMoment

Morning Linda,why did i sound like a train(be along soon)lol.only joking,love ya really xx

Hi DQ

I have had the balloon fitted on the NHS for the reasons Charliegirl said,i went for the bypass but my liver was too fatty for the op to be a success so it didnt happen,my diatric surgeon said i would have to loose 3-5st if i wanted the op again but he could fit the balloon to help me with this.
Just over 2 weeks ago i was admitted into Sheffield Hallamshire,i went in the afternoon before the proceedure to have the bloods taken,blood pressure etc,the following morning i went down to have it done,really easy proceedure it is.
I stayed in hospital for 3 days as i had to have the input and output monitored,and i will admit the output is far more than input as your stomach puts up a fight to get rid of this foriegn object.
But it soon settles down.
I will admit the web sites do say your in and out on the same day,but as you have just read this wasnt the case,may private patient do ?.

Hope this helps ,if you want to know anything else please ask.

Di
xx

DQ

Minimins Admin
So am I right in thinking it stays in for six months? And do you go on a liquid diet, or do you eat?

Thanks for sharing the info :)

Rising_Sun

Chugging along
DQ, this is the page off the BOSPA website I was referring to: http://www.bospa.org/Information.aspx?Page=8

The last paragraph reads as follows: "
As the intragastric balloon has not been incorporated in the NICE guidelines for the management of obesity, it is not widely available on the NHS. However, an increasing number of surgeons are now using it and if you think this could possibly be an appropriate treatment for you, look at our surgeon’s directory to locate a surgeon in your area who lists intragastric balloons on their procedures list. If you are considering this treatment privately, expect to pay between £4,000 and £8,000 for a package which comprises the balloon insertion and removal and six months of intervening care with the surgeon and/or dietitian/nutritionist."

I guess I was a fairly sweeping in my answer above.

BlondeMoment

Yeah it can only stay in your stomach for 6 months due to the stomach acids attacking it.
I started on liquids for a few days and then i felt brave enough to go onto sloppy foods,i am just over 2 weeks into my internal waterbed as charliegirl calls it and i am eating "normal" food of which i can eat a small side plate size .You do feel full i was very suprised as you eat with your eyes and looking at a small amount of food i did think "that isnt alot"but it is enough and stop when your full or you will be sick.
Oh and as i am finding out spicey food isnt a good idea this early on :sigh:

When i left hospital i was armed with soluble disprin,anti sickness pills and Omeprazole for the stomach acid.

The diet they tell you to follow is the same as WLS one.

e.green69

welldone di
i didnt realise you had the balloon fitted missed that 1 lol.
i do remember you saying about your liver being too fatty though..
takecare emma