• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band with the Hospital Group

SkinnyWannabe

Hey there!!! I'm new here :) I'm a 27 year old fatty and i think i just hited rock bottom. i am 5ft 4 and i weight 16 stones
i have tried a whole lot of diets and slimming clubs, but i lose about 10 kg and then gain it back and put some extra; i have tried Xenical and Reductil with the same results.

I am an emotional eater and on top of that we are all fat in my family, except for my sister that lives on tea and manages to look normal.

I have decided now that i will go for WLS as it seems to me my last resource, i haven't told anyone part from my husband, which he hated the idea at the beginning but i asked him to come with me to the consultation and now i count with all his support, I'm so glaaaaad that he kind of understands now.

Well i have been to consultation with the Hospital Group at Dolan Park, i haven't book my surgery date just yet as i have to take a loan and i need to wait until February next year, but i wanted to come here and ask if anyone here had been banded by Dr Super or with any other Dr with the Hospital Group and how was the experience as i have been reading about some bad ones, but all of them where about Breast Augmentation.

e.green69

hi i had my band done 15 weeks ago at dolan park with mr sig.. great place lovely staff and op went well also..
i went with why go abroad its same place and staff as hosp group just cheaper..
hope this helps
emma

SkinnyWannabe

Thank you!! i had my consultation with Dr Super, and he seems to be good, i asked my GP about him and he said hes good. but i guess is never enough when you read bad stuff online, so i need you guys to feel a bit more comfy! lol

Mynewlife

Hiya
had my band fitted by Mr Sig at The Hospital Group. I also, like Emma, had the basic package with no after care, and I got what was advertised. The surgery, the room for the night, the post op xray, and followup discharge appointment. To be honest I am glad that I did not pay for the full package, as they treat you like you are on a production line when you go in for surgery. I was 7th of 8 people being done on the day I had my op. I went down at 6:40pm, got back to my room around 8pm and was discharged at 7am next day with no instructions what so ever on how to care for my wounds, no dressings and no other advice whatsoever. I wish I had paid to go to belgium, at least I would have had a holiday out of it and it cost less. I would NOT have the surgery done at the Hospital Group if I had the decision to make all over. I had a great surgeon, one of the best, and would rate him highlty, but I would not rate the hospital group. I put in a complaint letter and never even got an acknowledgement for that. If you are prepared to accept shelling out that sort of money, knowing in advance that you dont get the service you would expect from a private facility, you will not be disappointed. They are like used car salesmen, once they have your money, they dont want to know about your problems. Sorry but you need to know what to expect.:wave_cry:
I will agree that SOME of the staff are nice enough.

MNL

SkinnyWannabe

Thanks Girls i highly appreciate it! i have seen on THG website that they have an offer on ALL gastric bands but.. i spoke to their consultant and she said that the offer did not apply to the "cheap" package even though it clearly states that is for ALL... hmm i have been trying to find another place to get it done, but seems like everywhere i look it costs more than £5000 and i just cant afford that :(

Mynewlife

Have you looked at the WLS website, they offer it abroad I think, for a bit less and you get the trip also. A lot of people rate the WLS group, so it might be worth looking at them.

good luck and make sure you do plenty of research and if you can, speak to someone who has had the op at the facility you are looking at because they will tell it like it is. Better yet, run it by this forum, someone will more than likely be able to tell you how they are and how they treat you.

MNL:)

SkinnyWannabe

Ive just check the prices and its around the same, so i dont know.. i really want to get it done by the end of next month or end of Feb.. my weight is not going down so, i dont want to waste more time.

Hi,
I didnt have my surgery with those ppl, just wanted to say good luck with your surgery. Heres to a lighter 2009. Take care of yourself. Kind regards R x

callysplace

hi I know that a few people on here have gone with their cheaper package and have regreted it in the long run, not due to the quality of care in hospital but with the lack of after care. You are responsable for your fills and have to pay for them, Im not sure if you get any dietry aftercare but Im sure someone will be able to tell you more.

The weight loss surgery group (I went with them) are a fantastic company and as someone on here has mentioned before have very competative rates and a two year aftercare package, which is so very important!
The other possibility is to go with the hospital group for the op and then pay for aftercare with wls group.

LancsLass2

Hi, I had my band fitted by dr super at the end of October. I found him to be very thorough and he def knows what he`s talking about. Scars r virtually none existant now. I also went with the why go abroad cheap package with no after care. I think it was about £4950. U can pay WLS group £699 for an aftercare package which includes fills, dietician and support but I haven`t gone for that. I`ve had one fill but not got the restriction I need yet but hoping the next one will take me a bit closer. Gonna book it for after xmas. If u need any more info just pm me xxx

SkinnyWannabe

Yes.. i think i will go for the cheap package with THG and after care with WLS as it sounds a better option for me. im waiting now for a friend to pay me back some money and i should be booking my surgery as soon as next week, i will let you guys know... and thank you again for the reply is sooooooooo nice to have people around that understand the situation... skinny people just dont get it! LOL!

i have just one more problem... I CANT STOP EATING! i dont know whats wrong with me! i just cant stop, i think about food all day! honest! and i just keep stuffing myself over and over again, i dont know if is the anticipation or what.. :(:(:(:(

kargar

Hi, I had my band fitted 3rd nov with National Obesity Surgery Centre. Prof Hakim - lovely man - google him He's V well known. My surgery was expensive compared to some of you, at 8K, butI have had fantastic aftercare, daily calls until I was confident enough, and now I have weekly support and I also have the Professors personal mobile number (given to me in the first week incase I needed it - wich I did). I can call the team and speak to my own private nurse any time which to me is invaluable. I would thoroughly recommend as the care is fab and nothing is too much trouble for them day or night. Good luck with who ever you decide to go with and we r all here to support each other, 24/7 which again is invaluable.

baby jayne

Hi

I am new to this site (first post), I am wanting to have a gastric band fitted A.S.A.P and wandered if you had any advice for me.
1) I am looking into who, where and how much at the moment so advice apreciated.
2) Advice on Healthier Weight as they seem to have a really good surgeon and seem really professional. (costs £7950)
3) We are due to go to America in March and I am debating having Operation before or after? Also advice on flying with a band? some advise to have band deflated for flights over 3 hours, others say it needs a small amount taken out?
4) Does Alcohol get you drunk on a small amount after surgery?
5) If you eat something that the band refuses and sickness happens is it instant or could you make it to the toilet?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Muppet

Baby Jayne in my experience, its not the same as vomiting, its called productive burping, and yes I had plenty of time to reach a bathroom.

Its sort of self-produced, not exactly sickness as the food has not had time to digest so it comes out (if you'll pardon the term)the same as it goes in. No nasty smell.

In my experience I had to make this happen by forcing a big burp, and then the food that wouldnt go through the band just came back out.
You do this because the of the uncomfortable feeling you have in your chest.

I'm sure other members will tell you of their experiences....good luck hunny xx

LancsLass2

Yeah, like Muppet says, its not really like being sick its not from the stomach somehow and u don`t get that nasty taste in your mouth either.

Go Go Girl

Mr Super

Hi,
I had Mr Super at Dolan Park on the "cheap & cheerful" pacakage (no after-care). He was great and I'm doing really well. Had my first fill on Wednesday and the weight is just dropping off!
We all know what we should and shouldn't eat really so I opted not to pay extra for the dietician and I'm sticking to it OK. Not sure when I'll have my 2nd fill, probably sometime in January but I'll just see how much restriction I get over the next few weeks.
Good luck with everything whatever you choose.
Sam xx

julieann

I had the cheap and cheerful package with wga and mr sigurdsson did the operation, i then took out an aftercare package with the wls group and even though it is expensive they are absolutely brilliant there. Best of luck with your surgery. x