• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric bypass 4 weeks ago!!!! would like help and advice from those who have had op

tammy

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi all, i had a gastric bypass 4 weeks ago and feel totally alone in my experiences. Would really like to talk to people who have been through the same.

So far i have lost 2 stone but am struggling to eat at all. Feel sick alot of the time and am really only managing tiny amounts of soft food. Haven't even attempted chocloate or anything although the idea sounds like heaven!!

Can anyone give me meal ideas as there is only so many ways you can eat a potatoe!!!

Have had no support from the hospital and have no contact with anyone who has had the op. Feel quite down about the whole thing really and feel that i have no social life at all now. My previous life of meals out and booze just doesn't appeal at the moment. Am due to go out on Friday any suggestions on what I could eat and drink? (without having the stomach cramps and sickness)

look forward to hearing from you

Tammy x

lovebug

Official Lap Bander !!
Hello Tammy, Don't fret mate your not alone at all :). Someone will come along and help u. Its a bit quiet tonight those who have had bypass's aren't online..They will help u tho. If u look thru some of the posts there will be advice but someone will answer u for sure...this website is brilliant such great support . xx

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi Tammy welcome to the losing side, soz am not able to offer u much advice but have sent you an email with some links for to help u. Am sure there will be some experienced peeps along soon to help u.
Take care luv Roch x

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Hey Tammy :) I'm pre-op too sorry, but I have got a booklet upstairs which has meal ideas for post-op, if you want me to type it out let me know :D

Shel

mandy-1975

Hi all, i had a gastric bypass 4 weeks ago and feel totally alone in my experiences. Would really like to talk to people who have been through the same.

So far i have lost 2 stone but am struggling to eat at all. Feel sick alot of the time and am really only managing tiny amounts of soft food. Haven't even attempted chocloate or anything although the idea sounds like heaven!!

Can anyone give me meal ideas as there is only so many ways you can eat a potatoe!!!

Have had no support from the hospital and have no contact with anyone who has had the op. Feel quite down about the whole thing really and feel that i have no social life at all now. My previous life of meals out and booze just doesn't appeal at the moment. Am due to go out on Friday any suggestions on what I could eat and drink? (without having the stomach cramps and sickness)

Tammy x

Hi Tammy

I had my bypass 6 weeks ago today!!! an di have struggled, i am constantly sick i went back in and got it sorted but it only lasted a week and i am back to being sick!!!!!!! got the hospital today so hopefully will get some help and advice, i feel alot like you and spent hours crying last night....
If you ever want to email or msn me its [email protected]
I know the feeling on the food front, although everything i do eat comes back up and have run out of ideas on what to try!!!!!!!! nothing sounds remotely appealing.......

Chin up, we are all here for you

redfluffmonster

Hi Tammy
a good friend of mine had her op about the same time as you. I know she was told to stick to soft foods for several weeks to start off with. As far as I know she tries to cook normal meals and uses a hand held stick blender to soften it. Are yoghurts and fruit allowed too? I'll ring her and try and find out some more. As for the not feeling well, call your doctor/ hospital back and see somebody for post-op care and advice. They must have other patients who are in a similar situation x

Thaialina

Hi,
I was soory to hear that you've been sick..
I'm almost 4 weeks post op and haven't been sick at all. I liquidized everything -even veggie Korma - and it went down OK. I'm now on soft foods and chew everything loads before swalloing.Make sure your food's soft enough and drink plenty. Some people are sicker than others for some reason. I hope you manage to eat without being sick soon.

tammy

Post-op Gastric Bypass
WOW I'm not alone

Hi everyone thanks for all your kind words and support. I feel so much better knowing that what I am going through seems to be pretty normal!!!

Even managed some spag bol last night!!!! waited for the sickness but it never came maybe I have turned a corner.

Will keep fingers crossed anyway!!! thanks again xx

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
thats great tammy, well done! Fingers crossed this is the way its going to be from now on :)

georgina

hi tammy just wanted to say hi, just take things slow hun as u got to get used to ur new bypass, had mine done a year ago best thing i ever did its totally changed my life for the better take care xxx

Floella

Worried for my sis

You all sound so supportive! :)

My sis is on the waiting list (NHS) for bypass op and I'm so worried about her. She says she is fed up of dieting (she's 52) and has somehow managed to get funding for this despite having no health probs. She is about 17 stones and just over 5 ft tall.She has never had an op or been in hospital and I am frightened for her. I ask her questions about what's involved & she doesn't know much at all. She CAN lose weight because she's done it before but however much we try and help her she hates healthy food and loves all the junk in big helpings!:rolleyes: She says "this diet doesn't work" but she hardly ever follows one properly. She told the Dr that no diet has worked for her and it's a waste of time and then she lists them all and some of them she's only done for a day!!:cry:I worry that she'll die on the op table or that she'll get some horrible infection and I can't even think how she'll function once she can't eat what she wants. She has loads of friends and a great social life most of which revolves around eating and drinking.
I don't mean to offend anyone on here but since she's looked into this op she keeps coming out with things like "I will die from a heart attack or diabetes anyway if I don't have the op." WHY will she? She has no health probs. All she needs to do is eat less and take more exercise.

michelle7272

Tammy x
HI TAMMY
you sound just like me , my world was revolved around drink and eating out,takeaways etc. a treat or celebration was always food related.
i am 3weeks post op and too am getting so bored with soup.i just started on mashed food but i cant find much that does get stuck and cause me pain.
i can eat those frozen cheesy fish n mash pies,weetabix hot and sloppy.
i can't tollerate pototoe, feels like theres a knife in my back.
i too am hoping to have a night out but not until august when in fact i'm coming up to manchester for the weekend.
have you had a drink yet?
i had a glass of wine last night was fine, but i tried a malibu n orange through week and gave me terrible dumping syndrome, had to lay on sofa for 30 mins.
suppose it serves me right , lol.
im just about to try macaroni cheese for 1st time so shall keep you informed on my food experiences.
take care michelle7272

Thaialina

Hi Tammy,
Glad you seem to have turned a corner. I have been going through low fat quorn bolognese (homemade), mashed swere and carrots, scrambled egg, omlette, low fat custard and low fat rice pudding. They're my favourites at the mo. Went to a chinese buffet last week (great because nobody notices that you're only having a teensy bit and you feel like you have a nice meal out) and had the smallest serving of all the veggie dishes and they stayed down. I've had a glass of wine and brandy (in week 4) and it all goes down well. Worry not, I'm sure there's a social life after a bypass!!

tammy

Post-op Gastric Bypass
HI TAMMY
you sound just like me , my world was revolved around drink and eating out,takeaways etc. a treat or celebration was always food related.
i am 3weeks post op and too am getting so bored with soup.i just started on mashed food but i cant find much that does get stuck and cause me pain.
i can eat those frozen cheesy fish n mash pies,weetabix hot and sloppy.
i can't tollerate pototoe, feels like theres a knife in my back.
i too am hoping to have a night out but not until august when in fact i'm coming up to manchester for the weekend.
have you had a drink yet?
i had a glass of wine last night was fine, but i tried a malibu n orange through week and gave me terrible dumping syndrome, had to lay on sofa for 30 mins.
suppose it serves me right , lol.
im just about to try macaroni cheese for 1st time so shall keep you informed on my food experiences.
take care michelle7272
Oh no not had dumping syndrome yet think i too scared to try foods for fear of it happening. Have only tried a couple of glasses of wine and seemed ok do constantly worry though about what will make me ill!!!!!! Night out on friday was good drove so didn't drink but managed to eat a veggie starter as am still struggling with meat. Didn't feel out of place though and really enjoyed the night!!!! weight dropping off so got to be worth it. Stay positive and hope you macaroni cheese went ok x

tammy

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi Tammy,
Glad you seem to have turned a corner. I have been going through low fat quorn bolognese (homemade), mashed swere and carrots, scrambled egg, omlette, low fat custard and low fat rice pudding. They're my favourites at the mo. Went to a chinese buffet last week (great because nobody notices that you're only having a teensy bit and you feel like you have a nice meal out) and had the smallest serving of all the veggie dishes and they stayed down. I've had a glass of wine and brandy (in week 4) and it all goes down well. Worry not, I'm sure there's a social life after a bypass!!
Night out friday went ok had a veggie starter and didn't look out of place. Feel more positive really after speaking to people on this site. Will try some of you meal ideas thanks always looking for new things to try. x

tammy

Post-op Gastric Bypass
hi tammy just wanted to say hi, just take things slow hun as u got to get used to ur new bypass, had mine done a year ago best thing i ever did its totally changed my life for the better take care xxx
Thanks I'm sure I too have made the right decision. So glad to hear your op has changed your life for the better x

tammy

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi Tammy

I had my bypass 6 weeks ago today!!! an di have struggled, i am constantly sick i went back in and got it sorted but it only lasted a week and i am back to being sick!!!!!!! got the hospital today so hopefully will get some help and advice, i feel alot like you and spent hours crying last night....
If you ever want to email or msn me its [email protected]
I know the feeling on the food front, although everything i do eat comes back up and have run out of ideas on what to try!!!!!!!! nothing sounds remotely appealing.......

Chin up, we are all here for you
Only just figured out how you reply on this site sorry wasn't ignoring you. You have had it really rough hope the hospital were able to help you when you visited. Sure things will improve keep your chin up x