• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass, should I go for it???

Howie24

Hi Everyone,

Im new to the site so dont know if I am posting in the right section!! :confused:

Im 5ft 6 and weight 17 stone, I have tried every diet possible and every weight loss product on the market, like most of you here no doubt.

Ive started researching Gastric Bypass and have heard 2 success stories and 2 not so succesful.
I think I really want to get the surgery, Iam really concerned about the skin sagging afterwards .

Dont get me wrong to loose weight would be amazing but I dont want to have to then be concerned about having all the extra skin, the point being I still would not be able to wear a bathing suit for example.

I would love it if I could hear some success stories or if anyone can give me more information (was this a concern to you???)

Sorry if my entry is vague and confusing (just how I feel at the moment!!):cry:

Taz

Team FFF co-captain!
Hi Howie, I am a similar height to you and weighed almost a stone more than you when I was at my biggest. I got to the point where I thought nothing was going to help me lose weight and that I was destined to be fat forever. I was at the end of my rope and then my friend joined Slimming World. She had less will power than me so when she lost over a stone I was intrigued. Eventually I caved and went along to a meeting with her. I couldn't believe how well the plan suited me! Now 51lb later, although I'm only halfway through, I couldn't be happier.

I would suggest you try EVERYTHING before you consider invasive and uncomfortable surgery. I'm guessing that you don't actually have a high enough BMI to be considered for the surgery anyway. Take a look around here and see if there is any diet that takes your fancy. If you need any help or advice just ask x

Floella

Howie - I came on here a few weeks ago looking for much the same info for my sister.

Someone (not me!;)) suggested reading this
The psychological effects of gastric bands and stomach stapling - Times Online
which you will see further down on the thread and which is now locked.

I was dismayed to find that, although I had been polite and truthful in my posts some people disliked this as they only like hearing the good stuff about this major surgery.

Taz has also given you some sound advice and what needs to be remembered is that with any weight loss plan or diet you cannot go back to old ways of eating after you lose the weight. It is a lifetime commitment, as is a gastric bypass, which some people seem to lose sight of and you STILL have to eat healthily or you will stretch your stomach again and you will gain weight.

It's your choice but, as Taz says, make sure you find out all about it BEFORE you commit to it and remember that bypassers normally have to have vitamin injections and supplements for the rest of their lives and they CAN suffer lots of other difficult side effects which are not just post-op.

All the best whatever you decide.

Neen

WLS Moderator
HI, I agree that you really have to exhaust all other methods of weight loss before you consider surgical weight loss. I think at your weight , a gastric band would be the way to go rather than bypass, I have recently had a band fitted and I have 14 stone to lose. A band has less risks relating to the surgery itself and there is no mal-absorbtion...and its reversable. In any case , with the degree of pollution etc and other factors in food these days , a lot of people take vitamins for life daily anyway to ensure they have sufficient nutrients, even without bypass surgery...
Bypasses etc going wrong is not as common as newspapers would like us to believe either..and all operations carry some risk...you really have to look at your health as a whole to see how you will be affected...

I am sure that the people here who have had weight loss surgery will agree that its not the easy option and we are VERY much committed to changing our eating habits...in fact ,most surgeons wont consider going ahead with your op unless you fully understand the importance of totally changing the unhelpful habits that got you overweight in the first place. Its not an easy decision for most of us, and is very hard as a lot of people are negative and dismissive.
The very best way of finding out if this is route you should take , In my opinion, is to take time to read the posts of people here who have actually had the procedure...only they can really give you a real insight to the highs and lows and what it might mean for you. Naturally consult your doctor , and look up BOSPA online to get in touch with many hundreds more people who have been through this experience. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide. Love Neenx

mandy-1975

Hi

I had a gastric bypass 8 weeks ago, and whilst i have had some problems i don't regret having it one bit, i did my research and i have to say it was one of the hardest decissions i have had to make........

You will find that a majority of the people on here who have had this surgery have all researched it the good and the bad stories but have found it is the only option for them, or that for medical reasons it is for them........

Losing weight is very hard for anyone, and is a serious subject... minis gives you all aspects, and although some like to critise us for having it, you will find we will all help you and support you in your decision...........

Having a band or a bypass is not easy as some may think it is very very hard work, both with food and mentally...... if you would like to email me you are welcome to on [email protected]
I will try to help you further. and wish you all the best in your decision

xxxxxxxxx

alliecat

frustrated bander!
Good luck with whatever you decide Howie. My hardest decision was actually the decision to book a consultation - I ummed and arrhheed over that for ages but went to see my consultant without having made a firm decision as to which operation would be best for me (band or bypass) - all I knew was that for me it was the right decision to opt for surgery and I made sure I had done lots of research and was confident in my decision before I took the plunge.
Once I had seen the consultant I decided on a band - I started at just over 19stone at 5ft 6ish. For me once to decision to have surgery was made there has been no looking back, just excitement at what is to come but I would advise anyone considering weight loss surgery to do lots of their own research and come to the decision that is individually right for them.

Howie24

Thank you for all your warm replies they have been really helpful. :)

Im going on holiday this weekend and when I get back I am going to thoroughly research into both gastric bypass and the band, then decide which is best for me.

Fingers crossed I come to a decision that is best for me.

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
Howie - I came on here a few weeks ago looking for much the same info for my sister.

Someone (not me!;)) suggested reading this
The psychological effects of gastric bands and stomach stapling - Times Online
which you will see further down on the thread and which is now locked.

I was dismayed to find that, although I had been polite and truthful in my posts some people disliked this as they only like hearing the good stuff about this major surgery.

Taz has also given you some sound advice and what needs to be remembered is that with any weight loss plan or diet you cannot go back to old ways of eating after you lose the weight. It is a lifetime commitment, as is a gastric bypass, which some people seem to lose sight of and you STILL have to eat healthily or you will stretch your stomach again and you will gain weight.

It's your choice but, as Taz says, make sure you find out all about it BEFORE you commit to it and remember that bypassers normally have to have vitamin injections and supplements for the rest of their lives and they CAN suffer lots of other difficult side effects which are not just post-op.

All the best whatever you decide.

Hi Floelle,

In response to some of your comments.

Yes you came on here looking for information for your sister who wanted to have Weight Loss Surgery.

Our members reached out to you and gave you good advice and support and did make you feel very welcome and have been more than helpful and accommodating in your time of need.

Your sister according to you has now decided not to have her operation and you have got the outcome you first sought.

Your situation has been resolved and as you are anti Weight Loss Surgery I would ask you not to post in this forum in future as I can see no reason why you have further need to do so.

This forum is for support for those who are considering or have had Surgery.

Thanking you.

Admin.

DQ

Minimins Admin

Im going on holiday this weekend and when I get back I am going to thoroughly research into both gastric bypass and the band, then decide which is best for me.

Hi Howie, just to wish you a peaceful weekend, and looking forward to hearing the decision you make. :hug99:

mandy-1975

Hi Howie

You go away and have a great weekend.......... then when you are back, have a good research, there are lots of us on here who have either had or having one of the ops, so will be on hand to answer any questions you may have..........

Looking forward to find out what decision you make wether it is band, bypass or dieting.....

tammy

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi Everyone,

Im new to the site so dont know if I am posting in the right section!! :confused:

Im 5ft 6 and weight 17 stone, I have tried every diet possible and every weight loss product on the market, like most of you here no doubt.

Ive started researching Gastric Bypass and have heard 2 success stories and 2 not so succesful.
I think I really want to get the surgery, Iam really concerned about the skin sagging afterwards .

Dont get me wrong to loose weight would be amazing but I dont want to have to then be concerned about having all the extra skin, the point being I still would not be able to wear a bathing suit for example.

I would love it if I could hear some success stories or if anyone can give me more information (was this a concern to you???)

Sorry if my entry is vague and confusing (just how I feel at the moment!!):cry:
Hi I had my bypass done 7 weeks ago. i was 5ft 5 weighing over 18 stone and have successfully lost 3 stone since having it done. It's not been an easy ride but i have to say i don't regret my decision to have it done at all. I've joined a gym and even after 2 kids the sagging skin is going!!!!! I can also play at wacky and not get my backside stuck in the tunnels!!!!!! You have to do what feels right for you but i have to say my story is definately a sucees as are loads of others on this site. good luck x