• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Going private, but not sure where or how much?

poogatch

Hi there,

Using my boyfriends account to post as ive forgotten my log in details! I'm Lauren 21, and ive known for years i want a gastric band im 5'7 with a BMI of 43

However its not looking hopeful i will get it on the NHS, Ive been yo-yo dieting since 14/15 i also have PCOS and nothing works for me, So the boyfriend has agreed reluctantly hehe, that I can have the banding done after ive had this baby, im tired of being "the fat mum" and i refuse to walk down the aisle at this size, i think that was the clincher :)

So if anybody is willing to share i'm really looking for recommendations of surgeons and ideas of the prices for a gastric banding... Is it worth going abroad to get it cheaper? or did you stay in the UK?

Thanks Lauren

Hi Lauren
Welcome to minis its a great place for support. There are quite a few peeps on here who have had a gastric band privately and i'm sure they will be along soon to help. I know when i looked at the band through Marcus Landauer cosmetic surgery it was £7000 but i opted for a bypass due to my sweet tooth and snacking habits which cost me £10k. I travelled from Glasgow to Manchester and had the very experienced and very lovely Mr Ammori. Good luck with your journey and it sounds like a fair deal you have struck up with your OH x

I am going private for a bypass and the cost is £10,500. I am using the same surgeon as Allie and I am travelling from near Peterborough to Manchester to have this particular surgeon.

I have heard lots of wonderful things about Mr. Paul Super in regards to gastric banding.

I had a gastric bypass through the weight loss surgery group, they do banding too. Google them and their website will come up.
Good luck
Rx

Hi Lauren

You say that you want a band, the first thing any surgeon will do private or NHS is to get you to be honest about your eating habbits so that they can advise which is the best option for you.

I had my band fitted by Weight Loss Surgery Group, they are based all over the place but dont do ops in the midlands. I had mine fitted in preston and I go to b'ham,london or wherever I am at the time to their clinics. My op cost £5950 and I get 3 years unlimited fills and defills for that.

Best advice I can give is research, research and research some more! make your choice on type of surgery and location of op and aftercare to suit you!

Good luck x

I had a band privately through BMI healthcare at the Thornbury in Sheffield. Dr/Mr Ackroyd was my surgeon. The aftercare is brill. I paid £6500 x

There are lots of choices for surgeons and hospitals in the UK honey so pick one that fits your requirements and your budget. I would not consider going out of the UK for WLS. The aftercare if available would cost the earth travelling to and from whatever country you choose, and UK clinics would be unlikely to offer aftercare for work done outside of the UK.

Good luck with your choice chuck x

hi i was banded by wlsgroup as well they are fabulous and there are alot of us on here who have gone with them their aftercare is second to none xxheather

Thanks guys & gals just had another thought, did you get finance through those companies, personal loan or pay for it all outright? I will need either finance or a loan which is poo :( but unless i win the lotto i dont have that much lying around somewhere... OUr household income has enough spare to easily cover the repayment costs but not enough to pay for it outright...

Hi

My mum paid some for me and the rest went on an interest free for a year credit card. Will be paying it back for a while but trying to pay as much as poss in the year!

Maz x

Yer i've just seen that thread... which has put a spanner in the works, i only spoke to them today and they are the closest operators to me :'( i cant afford to go to london for aftercare as i'm in norwich....

Dont do it they take your money and run.I am now going to make sure i can spread the word to anyone who will listen .Iknow i am not the only one there are lots out there i am sure.

Dont use hospital group really bad after care i mean really bad .

I totally agree with Easter Chick....if there's any way you can avoid going with those people then do so.

the surgery was fine but aftercare is non -existent....I urge you to be cautious...they can talk the talk but you will be disappointed with the aftercare, I promise :sigh:

I had my bypass with WLSG, and there are lots of banders who used them as well. :)

xxx

Back