• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Had my second fill today!!

Lesleydb

Bander
I get my first fill tomorrow and cant wait not feeling any restriction at all! Can anyone tell me do they give you an appointment for another fill straight away or do you have to wait and see how the first one goes and do they tell you how much they have put in the band?
Thanks
Lesley xx

Last edited:
yes they tell u how much u'll have and also how much is already in there ...i found out at my 1st fill that i had 2mls at the time of my op so they added another 2mls. I have my second fill on Sunday :) was only a week ago i had my 1st . But different surgerys, different procedures of course. I'm a private patient too . xxx

Thanks for that I dont have long to wait. I didnt realise there was already some in there I was under the impression that it was empty!!
Can I ask can you feel that they have put some more in and are you still on liquids at the moment.
xx

Not everyone has some in there from there op. Depends on the Surgeon. My first fill has made no difference to what i can eat if i'm honest with u. The only difference is that things get a bit stuck but after 2 mins go down . The restriction at the moment isn't the right amount. May take 3 or 4 to really get it going . But remember everyone is different so what doesn't work for me might work for u and vice versa. I can eat anything now. I don't eat like i used to but thats with Will power. I suppose the fill does make a slight difference but i want restriction that will mean i can only eat certain things and remove any temptation . Like tonight i had a bite of a sausage roll and i nearly was sick it was swallowing a Rock ha ha ....i forget to chew !!! But once my restriction is maximum i'll be scared of it again if u get my drift. Stop me just doing what i want . xxx

Thats what Im hoping for maximum restriction cos at the moment I havent found anything that I cant eat havent been sick at all so I keep panicking that it hasnt worked. To be honest with you I have only been seen once since my op and that was by dietician not surgeon and she told me to make the appointment for my fill and that they would see me again in 3 months so I am wondering what happens in between do I get another fill or have to wait 3 months till I have seen dietician again or what she didnt really explain, I had this on NHS but dont really think the aftercare is up to much I have found alot more information from the friendly people on here than I have from the hospital. Sorry if I appear to be moaning after all I didnt have to pay for it and dont want to seem ungrateful for that but they just dont seem to give much info on what happens next. I have however made an appointment for a support group so maybe will get to know a bit more from there.
Sorry to hear about your sausage roll incident I suppose it is a reminder of what we can and cant eat!!:eek:
Thanks again
Lesley xx

Good luck for your fill - tis easy I promise. Let us know how it goes x

hi lesley
i got my fill on the 29th sept and cant wait as i am hungry all time.
goodluck with yours and i hope you tell us all about it ..

Got my fill they have put 4mls in told me they err on side of caution for the first fill.
Allie it was just how you said and I couldn't believe how easy or painless it was.
My appointment was for 3pm arrived about 2.45 went in about 2.50 laid on a moveable bed they then used xray to locate the port and put in some local anasthetic which he said would feel a bit like a wasp sting but wasnt that bad. Next he put in a needle which he was going to use to put the liquid in then they tilted the bed up so I was standing on the foot of the bed I was then asked to drink some white liquid which they watched going through on the xray, he then inserted 2 mls I had another drink and he then inserted 2 more I drank again and they said they would leave it at that for now.
Tilted bed back removed the needle and that was it. I would say the whole process took no more than 20 minutes and was virtually painless.
I did feel full after drinking the drink but will see how it goes now over the next few days.
For anyone who has a fill coming up it really is an easy process and I felt absolutely fine and was back home (approx 20 minute drive ) before 4pm.
Hope this helps
Take Care
Luv Lesley xx

Hee Hee - told you it was simple!! Glad all went well :)

Band fill due 12th Sept

Hiya Allie
I am due to have my first band fill next Friday, 12th, at the moment I feel very little restriction and have to be quite disciplined to not over eat. I was just wondering as you have had your first fill, how you are doing and how the restriction is? Do you know how much you had put in on your first fill? I was told by the clinic that I could possibly have the band half filled almost this time. How long ago did you have your first fill? do you know when you are thinking of having a second fill? It seems from what I have read that most people get a second fill quickly after the first one, and I just wondered if anyone else has some input on this? If this is the case, why don't they put more in the first time? I can't really think that it is a money making thing, because it seems as though more and more people are having the band fitted. Any Ideas? Also to any others of you out there who are going to Dolan Park anytime in September be warned that one of the main roads used to get to Dolan Park is shut for roadworks for about 3-4 weeks and you will have to find another way in. Any advise on the first and second band fill and the lengths of rescriction you can expect with each fill would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
My New Life
By the way, I am down 13kg from pre-op, and had my discharge appointment with Mr Sigurdsson last week.

hi my newlife
i feel exactly like you with no restriction.. i am having fill 29th sept.
mr sig did my op too.. how long ago did you have op? and how did your appointment go with mr sig? did you have xray also? i am worrying now as havnt heard from thm about follow on appointments..
thanks emma

Hiya Allie
I am due to have my first band fill next Friday, 12th, at the moment I feel very little restriction and have to be quite disciplined to not over eat. I was just wondering as you have had your first fill, how you are doing and how the restriction is? Do you know how much you had put in on your first fill? I was told by the clinic that I could possibly have the band half filled almost this time. How long ago did you have your first fill? do you know when you are thinking of having a second fill? It seems from what I have read that most people get a second fill quickly after the first one, and I just wondered if anyone else has some input on this? If this is the case, why don't they put more in the first time? I can't really think that it is a money making thing, because it seems as though more and more people are having the band fitted. Any Ideas? Also to any others of you out there who are going to Dolan Park anytime in September be warned that one of the main roads used to get to Dolan Park is shut for roadworks for about 3-4 weeks and you will have to find another way in. Any advise on the first and second band fill and the lengths of rescriction you can expect with each fill would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
My New Life
By the way, I am down 13kg from pre-op, and had my discharge appointment with Mr Sigurdsson last week.

Hi MNL,
You will be feeling hungry at the moment - before your first fill don't forget that the band is just there and not really restricting you at all - the initial restriction you had was due to the swelling from the surgery! I had 6.5ml for my first fill and I have a 10ml band. I am feeling more restriction now after a week than I did for the first few days and have no hunger at all. I just need to educate myself over my portions and make them smaller, especially at tea time so as not to stretch my pouch. I have been told that I will not need a second fill for some time but I think that is because I had quite a big fill first time round and certainly dont feel like I need another one yet - I am still getting used to this one. Don't forget though we are all different and it will take us all different amounts of time to find the right restriction/fill balance to get to that sweet spot.
Good luck with your fill xx

Dear Egreen
I had my band fitted on July 18th. I got the xray and discharge appointment in the same letter, but it was later than I had expected. They were late getting the appointments out, I had the xray appointment four weeks after my surgery, and then got to see Mr Sig just a few days past 6 weeks post op. Mr Sig was really pleasant. He weighed me, and spent time asking how I was, how things were going with the band, any problems with the wounds etc. He said that he was really pleased with my weight loss so far, and that I was ready for a fill. I had a few questions for him, and he answered all my questions. I didn't feel rushed, and he listened to me. Hope your appointments come through soon.
Regards
MyNewLife

mnl
thanks for that information..
i cant get any answer at WGA at dolan park its either engaged or no answer..
goodluck again for your fill
where are you having that done ?
emma

Hi Emma when did you have your band fitted if you dont mind me asking were you private or NHS.
Take Care
Luv Lesley xx

stressing

Hiya
Well, I was really looking forward to having my first band fill done, which is this Friday (12th), but after reading Alice's horror story:sigh: I am starting to feel quite stressed. I don't know if you read about it or not, but she went to Dolan Park for her first fill, which is where I am going and she also had the Obesity Healthcare Group for the fill, like I do. But she had a nurse attempt 6 times to locate the port, and never ended up with a fill. The nurse had her arm in a plaster cast and could not feel Alice's port, and needless to say Alice ended up with 6 puncture wounds and no fill. I am really worried now:cry:. I am trying to convince my hubby to come along, as he will not allow that to happen to me, but I am not as agressive as him, and would let myself be treated like a human pin cushion. I hope they have sorted this nurse out before I go. I might phone them to make sure that this is not a problem. I dont want to go through the same traum as Alice and have someone with a plaster cast on try to use me as a dart board. Anyway, my appointment is after 3pm on Friday, so will post next weekend and let you know how things go. Keep your fingers and everything else crossed for me. catch you later. MNL

hi mnl
yes i have read alice experience and it was awfull..
if i was you i would phone them and ask about the nurse whom will be doing your procedure..
i have now gone with WLS so havnt experienced any fills with the hosp group.
takecare emma x

hi lesley
i had it fitted on the 21st august and pyed private for it.
how are you at the mo?
emma x
Hi Emma Im fine thankyou. Hope your ok.
I read about Alice on her thread it was awful for her. I had my fill done by xray so they found my port straight away as they could see it they could also see how the liquid was going down, but it seems this is not always the case and they are not all done using xray. I dont know why this is but I suppose its like the pre-op diet they all vary from surgeon to surgeon.
Yours will be here before you know it!
Take Care xx

Back