• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair loss after bypass?

candie

fabby not flabby :)
Has anyone experienced this?Any tips to avoid it?:eek::eek:

I've read that this can be due to a lack of protein, and or zinc. I've not eaten much meat, but i do drink a lot of milk, as for zinc, i don't know what foods to get that in, but i've not had any trouble other than the usual hair loss i've always had. I always thought i would have a problem with it, but surprisingly not. I'm looking forward to others' responses.

I have not yet expereinced this. I say yet because I have had hairloss every time I have managed to loose more than 40lbs. So I expect it to start any day now. It is common after any anesthesia. My surgeon prescribed zinc & selenium supplements to help with it and I have started them preventatively. Don't really know if that will work but the supplements do help with new growth. Also make sure your protein levels are high during the first few months.

HTH,
Nic;)

Yep i concure with PH (although i hate to admit it :D) - keep up your zinc levels and if it continues to fall out see your GP for some selinum.

My hairs been falling out for years so i'm not that worried about it really :D

Yep i concure with PH (although i hate to admit it :D) - keep up your zinc levels and if it continues to fall out see your GP for some selinum.

My hairs been falling out for years so i'm not that worried about it really :D
:eek::eek::eek:My hair's the only thing I like about myself, but i WILL keep up the zinc and selenium ;):D

My surgeon said the same thing about zinc and selenium so I will be rushing out to but some. How do you take tablets while you are still on the liquids phase? Or do you have to wait till you are eating proper food?

I got them on prescription from my surgeon. The zinc is dissolvable & the selenium is liquid. However, I was advised not to start my supplements until 2 weeks after surgery (the end of liquids only).

Oh, and CG is right Mr. Ammori says only 10% of his pateints have hairloss. I just know my body and how it reacts so I have prepared.

Thanks Phatgirl - must remember to ask!

Mine started about 3 months post op, and my hair has thinned significantly. However, my hair was so unmanageably thick beforehand that I quite like the thinning! I've started on selenium and zinc but I don't really want it to grow back lol.

Mine started about 3 months post op, and my hair has thinned significantly. However, my hair was so unmanageably thick beforehand that I quite like the thinning! I've started on selenium and zinc but I don't really want it to grow back lol.

o no mine is really thin to start with can't afford to lose any more!!

Mine's really think and curly :eek::eek:

You wont need to worry about vits until your through the liquid stage anyway by then you will be able to swallow solids.

The hair lose is apparently a temporary side effect of the bypass and does stop alledgedy, if not you can by some very nice wigs these days :D

The hair lose is apparently a temporary side effect of the bypass and does stop alledgedy, if not you can by some very nice wigs these days :D

Oh, you, don't scare her! Not one person has gone bald from hairloss after the bypass - it is absolutely temporary and your hair will be back to normal (if you even get hairloss) after about 6 months from when/if you start noticing it.

;)

You wont need to worry about vits until your through the liquid stage anyway by then you will be able to swallow solids.

Wicked man!!

:8855:

Back