• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone had an operation for GERD? (Acid reflux)

IslandBreeze

Castaway
Hello
Not exactly a surgical weight loss question but I couldn't work out where best to put the thread. I've had severe acid reflux problems for years, taken tons of pills, I avoid all the foods you're meant to for this problem, sleep sitting up and still nothing works. I wake up almost every night with stomach acid and food regurgitated up into my mouth. It's been happening since I was a child and happens no matter what weight I am (I've been underweight in the past and still had it then).
My GP has recently sent me for a surgical consultation and I had a gastroscopy today. This confirmed that the top of my stomach doesn't close and that is why food comes back up. Apparently surgery fixes this 95% of the time.

Given that I've tried all the lifestyle and drug options and they haven't worked I plan to have the surgery. My problem is I'm 36 and would like a second child soon. One surgeon tells me I should wait until I've finished having kids before getting the op done and another tells me it's very important that I have the op BEFORE getting pregnant again. I don't know which to believe. How am I supposed to know?

Has anyone else had this op? How long did it take you to recover? What was it like? Has it worked? Does anyone know if you can safely have kids after it?

Very confused so any info or advice would be much appreciated. :confused:

phatgirl

I'm sorry hun that you have suffered so, I did not have surgery so I have no real advice. I did however have GERD for many years combined with IBS so really didn't know if I was coming or going!!! I feel for you hun & did not want to read and run so I want to send you a (((hug))) and hope that surgery sorts you out.

I had gastric bypass 3 months ago tomorrow and all my GERD symtoms have vanished due to not having stomach acid in my new pouch & being on twice daily Lansoprazole.

Best of luck.

IslandBreeze

Castaway
Thanks for that. Hopefully the GERD op will work. Good to hear Lansoprazole works on you. They tried me on those types of drug recently and unfortunately they made my hair fall out. Am not bald (yet) but am losing handfuls of hair round the house all day long - very depressing - despite my best hoovering efforts my little boy keeps picking them up and waving them at me. And he;s still at the crawling stage so he gets covered in the hair although I hoover twice a day at the moment - he looks a bit wild covered in my fallout! The drugs worked about half the time but not enough and hairloss is a bit much to live with as a side-effect. Am hoping the drugs will soon be out of my system and my hair will return to normal.

I know I want the op but it's hard to decide on the timing when you're getting conflicting advice from the professionals.