1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!
    Dismiss Notice

Hello I’m new. I’m just starting the journey

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Irene44, May 17, 2018.

1. Irene44

Irene44 Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    Surgery Date::
    July
    hoping to meet some friends on this site Just starting out on this journey. Have had first appointment with consultant. Going to see dietitian tomorrow. Surgery date will be July 2018 Be lovely to chat about everyone else’s experiences

Jonicorn and los in it like this.
  2. Mazza

Mazza Administrator Staff Member

Start Weight:
    118kg
    Current Weight:
    93kg
    Goal Weight:
    80kg
    Lost(%):
    25kg(21.18%)
    Surgery Type:
    Band - sleeve revision
    Funding Type:
    NHS
    Consultant:
    Vinod Menon
    April 09 (band) Jan 16 (band removal) 15th September 16 (sleeve)
    Hello and welcome!

Which op are you having?

We have plenty of members who can share their experiences. I'll start with mine, band fitted April 2009, removed January 2016, sleeved September 2016 :D x

3. Irene44

Start Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    Hi thank you for your kind welcome oh ouch two opps. has the sleeve worked for you.

I have been reading some of the posts So much good advice on here Everyone seems so friendly supportive and really helpful I’m having a bypass not got the actual day but it will be mid to end of July Would have loved it to be sooner but the surgeon is on holiday. So it’s dietitian tomorrow then hopefully get a date for gastronomy check xx

4. Emma1504

Emma1504 Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    24st8lb
    Current Weight:
    23st2.5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5.5lb(5.67%)
    Welcome
    This is a great place to get inspiration, advise & share your story. Good luck with your journey x

Irene44 likes this.
  5. Irene44

Start Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    Hi Emma thank you x I have been engrossed reading Slimkims diary so much to learn May I ask how far are you on your journey what are you having / had xx

slimkim and Emma1504 like this.
  6. Bling Babe

Bling Babe Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    16st7.0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st6.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st0.5lb(30.52%)
    Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Funding Type:
    NHS
    Consultant:
    MrJain
    5th April 2018
    Hi and welcome, which hospital are you with and have you had a long journey? I’m with Luton and Dunstable, a looooong 22 months from 1st appointment to surgery, a bypass 6 weeks ago, I agree Slimkim diary is really good be aware that Slimkim has had a sleeve which is obviously different to a bypass. There are many great people on here, it’s been so helpful to me, everyone is very supportive and there is so much great advice. Good luck and look forward to your updates xxx

Irene44 likes this.
  7. Irene44

Start Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    Hi and thank you for your welcome I’m with Washington hospital near Newcastle upon Tyne. Oh my goodness that’s a long time to wait but 6 weeks on that’s great how are you doing? With it all? I’m hoping my surgery will be mid to late July so any advice will be amazing. I’m loving this forum everyone seems to be supporting everyone. I have had the dietitian appointment this morning so just have to wait for gastric scope and also have to have a chat with psychologist but it’s all looking good.

8. Emma1504

Emma1504 Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    24st8lb
    Current Weight:
    23st2.5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5.5lb(5.67%)
    Not close to having date for operation.
    All hospitals/areas seem to be different. I have had a seminar & MDT so far. Next step is 12 week course (tbut don’t have a start date yet) then another MDT!
    So early days really
    How long have you been on this journey?

Irene44 likes this.
  9. Irene44

Start Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    Hi Hun. Oh that’s so frustrating the not knowing. I hope it works out for you When will you know x. Well I’ve took the plunge and gone self funding. I’m 57 and feel like I can’t hang about waiting I have yo-yo’d for the last 34 years I have some health problems to so I need this now I can’t say I’m happy about the cost but it should give me a longer life I’m such a weak willed person just pig out when I’m happy sad bored I fact I will just any time day or night xx

10. Maria61

Maria61 Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    19st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st12lb(35.16%)
    Surgery Type:
    Gastric bypass
    Funding Type:
    NHS
    Consultant:
    Mr Jain Luton and Dunstable
    19th September 2017
    Hello and welcome x

11. Irene44

Start Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    Hi Maria thank you xx

12. sandra overton

sandra overton Active Member

Start Weight:
    15st6lb
    Current Weight:
    11st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    3st12lb(25%)
    Surgery Type:
    Sleeve
    Funding Type:
    NHS
    Consultant:
    Al_taan
    26th april2018
    hello and welcome I had a gastric sleeve just over 3 weeks ago and recovered well I wish you good luck with your surgery I was down for bypass but they said it would be to risky because I had lots of scar tissue from previous surgeries so got sleeved instead I'm quite happy and doing well I'm nearly ready for soft food well I'm in between pureed and soft haven't had any problems and lost a stone between pre op and this 3 weeksx

Irene44 and Maria61 like this.
  13. Irene44

Start Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    Hi and thank you x. Oh wow well done thats fab progress. Did you do the milk diet first? I have been told I will have to do 10 days so not so bad So nice to hear so many positive people on there surgery xx

14. slimkim

slimkim Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    246.5lb
    Current Weight:
    191.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    121.3lb
    Lost(%):
    54.9lb(22.27%)
    Surgery Type:
    VSG
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Dr Chris de Bruyne
    14/02/2018
    Hiya @Irene44 I'm glad my diary is interesting for you. I read so many diary's in prep for my surgery that I wanted to give back and post as much as possible. I also keep a private journal of everything that is happening daily as the time goes so quickly. Everyone is different in how they deal with bariatric surgery. Even people who have the same surgery have different experiences. Reading a lot of diaries will help you to see how different people are and how their weight loss, emotions, dealing with food is all so varied.

Have you thought about starting your own diary? You might find it helpful to read when you have been post op for a long time. Just as a reminder of all you went through and how far you've come.

15. Irene44

Start Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    Hi Slimkim. Thank you, Yes your diary is so interesting and so encouraging. The things you deal are very relevant to anyone wanting to have WLS.

I’m reading lots of other threads as you say it gives you strategies and answers questions that I had not even thought of yet

I will try and do a diary once I have my dates confirmed and start the milk diet The dietitian works at Sunderland bariatric unit but does private work with Spire she told me to look on the NHS website to get the diet So at least I know what’s coming I keep telling myself only 10 days on it lol

I’m very excited about finally having the opp I would happily have it now! Just got to be patient I guess like everyone else waiting

I was shopping in Morrison’s today checking out some of things I’ve seen on diaries so trying to be prepared for afterwards. I still have an awful lot of reading to do I think

Really well done you should be very proud of yourself as should all the ladies who’ve taken this journey or about to embark on it It’s not an easy option it’s hard and torturous for anyone who loves food or has food demons to conquer People don’t understand at all what’s involved and how it effects you

Having said that I can’t wait to conquer my demons and get healthy again

Bling Babe and slimkim like this.
  16. Irene44

Start Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    Well I have had a dreadful day to day. My family were out. So left to my own devices 6 wheatabix for breakfast feel like a pig! Take myself off to Matalan to get some new PJs for hospital. Whilst there at least half a dozen lovely ladies with amazing figures strutting about and I just felt shit!! I grabbed my size 20-22 and ran

But not content came home and demolished a tub of quorn cocktail sausages then 3 bags of crisps then huge dish of ice cream with chocolate wafers. Family came back and we had Sunday dinner I ate all of that too! Plus 2 large glasses of wine! What the hell!!

Beginning to think it’s not a bypass I need it’s a frontal lobotomy

Emma1504 likes this.
  17. slimkim

slimkim Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    246.5lb
    Current Weight:
    191.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    121.3lb
    Lost(%):
    54.9lb(22.27%)
    Surgery Type:
    VSG
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Dr Chris de Bruyne
    14/02/2018
    Sounds like you've had a rough day. Do you know what triggered the food cravings & eventual consumption? Drawing a line under the past food overload & taking tomorrow as a new day is a good strategy. Trying to work through why you reached for the food also helps. The desire to stuff food won't go away so you'll need to think of strategies to work through the issues. The fear of damaging your stomach in the beginning might help to stop you but once you get comfortable with your new digestive system if you don't have a good strategy you'll fall into old habits.

Thank you for sharing. It really helps readers identify with you. I'm sure lots of us have had days just like this. I know I have.

Irene44 likes this.
  18. Irene44

Start Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    Thank you Slimkim I don’t really know why I’m just a pig maybe. I was excited yesterday i bought a second hand treadmill going to pick that up tomorrow. I even looked up the milk diet that I would be on and getting ideas for afterwards. I have been watching all the back tv programs for weight loss surgery taking in as much info as I can

I just don’t know why I do it I was a bit down this morning so might have been it I just gotta give myself a huge kick up the behind I think I want this surgery so badly to get me sorted out I know I’m going to have sort out the triggers or it will all go pear shaped

Had a few tears and told myself off this evening not to going to let this beat me no way

slimkim likes this.
  19. Maria61

Maria61 Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    19st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st12lb(35.16%)
    Surgery Type:
    Gastric bypass
    Funding Type:
    NHS
    Consultant:
    Mr Jain Luton and Dunstable
    19th September 2017
    Don’t beat yourself up Irene and thank you for sharing. I could easily do that before surgery and eat more and have 4 glasses of wine. To admit to the problem is the best thing you can do and I wish I had been more honest with myself years ago. You will do this and we are all here to help you. Love and hugs xx

slimkim and Irene44 like this.
  20. Irene44

Start Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    Thank you Maria so much for those kind words

Well if anything it’s taught me that I don’t like cheating myself! It’s weird I feel bad for the thin me trying to get out. If that makes any sense I really feel as though I have upset someone by my actions yesterday. Maybe it’s because for the first time in 40 years I have been honest about my eating I don’t need to justify it to anyone or smooth it over just me! I feel amazingly stuffed this morning too

I can still feel all the food banked up in my stomach. Don’t think I will be eating till much later on Will pick my treadmill up later and focus on the big journey in front me Most importantly I have to remember how I feel right now at this moment .