• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hello

terri.c

just joined the site, thank god there are peope in a simiar situation to me!!
GP has written to NHS for surgery for myself. I have tried it all, reductil, diets galore etc. i have a BMI of 37 and had a smal heart attack 18 months ago and was diagnsoed with mild heart disease.
what are my chances of being accepted, does anyone know?? I live in Blackpool, Lancs. also how will i choose between band or bypass?
sorry to ask so many questions, i am just desperate and unhappy x

Welcome to the site Terri - I am having my op privately so cannot advise you on the guidelines for the NHS / PCT's but some of the other more experienced post-oppers will be along shortly to advise you. Your BMI is quite low so they may well go for the band..as for the heart problem - they will go through it at length with you.

You will find get loads of help & advice on here from lovely helpful folk!

Best of luck!

Hi Terri,

Still waiting for PCT funding myself so not really too sure how it all works myself, but wanted to say WELCOME, this is a fantastice site and everyone is so lovely. Sorry I can't give you the answers you need but there are ladies and gents on here who may be able to help you more.

love

Sue xx

Welcome to Minimins. I am so sorry to hear about your heart attack and heart disease. I couldn't find the guidelines for Blackpool on BOSPA but I am sure someone could help you with that. If they follow NICE guidelines, then you might be okay with your BMI and comorbidities. You can call your PCT and ask them to send you their guidelines for funding.

Hi Terri, your not alone and the more time you spend on this site the better, it has really helped me.

I am desperate and unhappy too but get such a boost to reading everyone elses stories. Its just good to know your not alone.

I am from Merseyside and my GP referred me for funding and luckily I was successful. Ive got my first appointment with an Endocronologist on Friday this week. I dont know what to expect or what happens next, I just pray its not too long before my op.

I want a bypass but will discuss all options with my Doctor.

One bit of advice, I waited nearky 1 year for my PCT approval which is not normal. They or my GP lost my details and only because I chased it up did I get an answer. I would suggest asking your GP to chase it up after say 2 months if you have heard nothing.

Good luck

Hello and welcome, hope you get some good news soon :)

Welcome!!!! I hope that you find the site useful! I have become an addict to the site now and cant stay away! Im sorry about the poor health you have suffered, do you know if you will be refereed to manchester for your surgery? I think the centre for the North West of England is at Salford Royal but I could be wrong thats just what my GP mentioned.
Dont worry about trying to figure out what type of surgery to have that is something to discuss with the weight loss team when you meet them (no matter where you go to for your surgery), they will ask you lots of questions about your lifestyle and your eating habits and they will discuss with you the best options so that you can make an informed decision.
I hope that helps a little, keep your chin up it can be a long process for some but you will get there eventually!!! Good luck! xxx

Hi Terri,
Just wanted to welcome you to minis,
Sorry I can't help with your question as I went private for my Op, but i couldn't help noticing your are the same height and weight i was before my Op and I had a Bypass and my BMI was 38, I chose the bypass because, I like you was fed up with dieting and yo yoing up and down and I wanted something to change my life forever.
What ever you decide i wish you the best of luck on your journey!!

hi and welcome, Im at the beginning of the road for WLS so not much help, but someone will be along to help I'm sure :)

Back