• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help with Band Questions please.

baby jayne

Hi
Could anyone who has had a band help me with a few questions please?
1) Did you ever feel hungry when you first had surgery and if so when did you start wanting food? I ask this because I am never hungry since surgery, is this normal?

2)When did you go the loo for number 2? I haven't been yet although I don't feel the need to go, I was always regular everyday before so it seems strange.

3)I feel tired all the time and am trying to eat and drink more but as I have no appetite it is hard, calorie wise I am not managing more than 700 per day (maybe not even that). Any advice?

4)I can have mushy stage now, any ideas?

5)I have read a few threads on finding your sweet spot for restriction, if you reach your sweet spot do you ever get hungry, or would it be similar to me now with no appetite and on mostly liquids/mushy. The reason I say that is if the band closes with each fill I have it in mind that it would start to go back towards what mine must be like now??? Maybe I have it wrong, but could someone explain please?

6)What recomendations do you have for protein supplements?

7)Was you scared to eat mushy from liquids? I am and as I am not hungry to start with, how will I know when to stop eating? I can eat a whole tin of soup at the mo, but then again it is only liquid isn't it?

Help please all you experienced banders as I am a bit confused at the momment and I would rather have your advice as you have been there and bought the T-shirt than get in touch with the Super Slim Nutritialist ha.:thankyou:

Thanks Guys xx

Hi
Could anyone who has had a band help me with a few questions please?
1) Did you ever feel hungry when you first had surgery and if so when did you start wanting food? I ask this because I am never hungry since surgery, is this normal?

i wasnt hungry at first, the hunger came back when the swelling went away at approx week 3-4 after surgery and the normal desire to eat returned.

2)When did you go the loo for number 2? I haven't been yet although I don't feel the need to go, I was always regular everyday before so it seems strange.

because there isnt alot being put in and usually liquids only it takes a while to make a no2 lol. my 1st one was at approx 10 days after and also the painkillers can cause constipation. also not drinking enough water can cause problems as well make sure you keep your fluid intake up.
3)I feel tired all the time and am trying to eat and drink more but as I have no appetite it is hard, calorie wise I am not managing more than 700 per day (maybe not even that). Any advice?

feeling tired is normal as your recovering from major surgery and the body is taking the little nutrition thats going in to heal itself, when you need to sleep than sleep. it does get better as you get better. please try to remember a daily multi vitamin.
4)I can have mushy stage now, any ideas?

standard mash and gravy, cheesy mash just mash in dairy lee light, fish pie is a banders best friend, i still love it now. or shepherds pie add extra gravy if needed.

5)I have read a few threads on finding your sweet spot for restriction, if you reach your sweet spot do you ever get hungry, or would it be similar to me now with no appetite and on mostly liquids/mushy. The reason I say that is if the band closes with each fill I have it in mind that it would start to go back towards what mine must be like now??? Maybe I have it wrong, but could someone explain please?

firstly your hunger will return soon so enjoy this time while its here as once the hunger comes back it will stay for good.
as the band gets tighter and you get closer to the sweet spot it will not stop the desire to eat, it will not stop food cravings thats the point where the will power comes in with a band and learning about the head hunger ect.

6)What recomendations do you have for protein supplements?

i dont take protien supliments, ive always only taken a 1 a day multi vit but please follow your surgeons advice.

7)Was you scared to eat mushy from liquids? I am and as I am not hungry to start with, how will I know when to stop eating? I can eat a whole tin of soup at the mo, but then again it is only liquid isn't it?

your mushies should be fine and you will have minimum restriction as the band is most likley to be empty at this point and the restriction at this point is only normally down to swelling from the op. mushies do not cause a problem for most just remember to take your time and not to rush your meal and you will be fine.

Help please all you experienced banders as I am a bit confused at the momment and I would rather have your advice as you have been there and bought the T-shirt than get in touch with the Super Slim Nutritialist ha.:thankyou:

Thanks Guys xx

i hope that helps a little

liz x

Oh Liz Thanks so much hun, that advice has really helped me.
By the way number 2 arrived today and feel better for it lol!
I have had some mashed potatoe with gravy and that was nice.
My surgeon put 3mls in at time of surgery so maybe that will give me a bit longer than the usual.
I will go shopping tomorrow for the items you mentioned which sound lovely.

Thanks again xx

hi liz, your very welcome, the 2 best fish pies i like is either the w/w one or the asda frozen good for you one.

enjoy !

oh and put mushy peas on the list if you like em ;)

liz x

Can't add much to what Liz has already said. I do use a protein supplement on days I know I'm not getting enough of it through my diet. I use Holland and Barrett soya based powder. It insists that it is "Vanilla Flavour". This is a lie. It tastes like brick dust. However, when mixed with fruit juice it is ok. x

Thanks everyone, I supose it is trial and error with it all. I still have no hunger and I am pleased to say its day 7 today and I have lost 7lb this week yeyyyy!! I had mash and gravy yesturday and am going to try fish pie later and some roast dinner tomorrow. The only problem I have is knowing how much to eat as I thought I would have to eat until felt full but as I have no hunger yet its hard to judge.
It does feel strange not eating what everyone else has but it hasn't bothered me at all. I have my tea usually before the others and then leave them to their large portions.
Today we are taking my mother-in-law out for lunch and will probably struggle at mushy stage to find anything but will try (can always have soup).
I feel so in control for the first time in my life yipppeeee!!!

Thanks everyone, I supose it is trial and error with it all. I still have no hunger and I am pleased to say its day 7 today and I have lost 7lb this week yeyyyy!! I had mash and gravy yesturday and am going to try fish pie later and some roast dinner tomorrow. The only problem I have is knowing how much to eat as I thought I would have to eat until felt full but as I have no hunger yet its hard to judge.
It does feel strange not eating what everyone else has but it hasn't bothered me at all. I have my tea usually before the others and then leave them to their large portions.
Today we are taking my mother-in-law out for lunch and will probably struggle at mushy stage to find anything but will try (can always have soup).
I feel so in control for the first time in my life yipppeeee!!!

hi liz, try buying a childs plate and bowl, this is what i have done and it helps alot when learning portion control, im glad your feeling in control its a great feeling.;)

liz x

Thanks Liz, I have bought a lovely little set for myself.
Can I ask you when you took your dressings as mine have been on 1 week. They feel a little bit itchy today but they look clean from the outside..mine are glued not stitched.
Also how much can you eat now say if you where eating salad? Can you eat bread and could you eat curry and rice?
Sorry if I am bombarding you with questions hun, but felt like I had read and learnt everything I needed to learn about this band..but its like when I passed my driving test its not until you are on the road on your own that you really learn to drive lol!!!

Thanks Liz, I have bought a lovely little set for myself.
Can I ask you when you took your dressings as mine have been on 1 week. They feel a little bit itchy today but they look clean from the outside..mine are glued not stitched.
Also how much can you eat now say if you where eating salad? Can you eat bread and could you eat curry and rice?
Sorry if I am bombarding you with questions hun, but felt like I had read and learnt everything I needed to learn about this band..but its like when I passed my driving test its not until you are on the road on your own that you really learn to drive lol!!!

if they are clean and dry you can take them off but shower only for now as laying in the bath softens the wounds,if there itchy then thats good it means there getting better.

when i have salad i just have a smaller portion on my childs plate, i use that as a guide, i do have a little salad cream with it or personally for me it sticks.

i cant eat bread of any type and it was the 1st food i completley gave up after banding, its not worth the pain for me as its to stodgy, all surgeons are different with if bread is allowed or not but mine tells us to not have itas it puts to much pressure on the band.

i can eat curry, but i cant manage rice i have it on its own no rice no nann bread, some people can manage rice & pasta up to a certain level of restriction, pasta is a no no for me at this stage as well.

i hope that helps explain, these answers are from my own experience but please remember my restriction level at the moment is tight and it has been built up over time with fills.

liz x

Back