• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Here I go... or as I like to call it, 'I'm officially turning into a Snack A Jack'

Olsbols

Sliced and diced!!!
Instead of taking over other threads with my ramblings and questions, I thought I would start my own little thread and leave you guys in peace!!! :D

Right, where do I start? I've always been overweight... even as a child, I was always the 'happy, chubby friend' who everyone could rely on.

My weight increased at an alarming rate, and despite being dragged to Dieticians and the like, it just kept on piling on. By the time I was 12 I couldn't squeeze into a size 16 skirt and Mum had to make my school uniform... humiliating :eek:

School was just one long bullyfest, and I only really felt free from bullies when I went to college - but after that, I was picked on at work due to my size and so I turned to my ever-present 'friend', food - which just made me fatter and more unhappy :(

In 1995 I went to live overseas in India and I lost a lot of weight from healthy eating (we don't eat the way the restaurants feed peeps over here!!!) and exercise... for once, I felt attractive and got some male attention!!! Had my first boyfriend and, even though he turned out to be a complete t*sspot, I gained lots of confidence in myself. I even started to sway my hips as I walked!!! :D

Then it all went downhill when I returned to the UK in 2000 to do my Nurse Training - I was sure I had an underactive Thyroid, but no-one listened to me. Actually, I'm rather annoyed as I got a print out of my records last year for my General Medicine Consultant (had to see him to be refered for a GB) to look at, and it showed that blood's taken after I returned from India showed my TSH to be over 7!!! Clear indication of an underactive Thyroid!!! Grrrr...

Anyhow, I ploughed on with my course at Barts and The Royal London, and continued to pile on weight, despite being on 3-4 12hr shifts a week!!! I went back to India for my elective placement, and it was there that my Doc friend took bloods and sent them off to a huge Thyroid lab in Mumbai - my results came back... 11.63 TSH!!! That's nearly three times the normal level!!! :eek:

Anyhow, I was so ill and overweight that I had to leave my course (I can go back if I want, but have to redo my second year as I have been gone for over 4 years) and was in hospital for a while as I became Type II Diabetic due - I'm insulin resistant due to the fat, so I am looking foward to getting rid of that soon after the bypass!!! :)

I've been on and off LL and CD, struggled with SW and generally been yo-yoing on diets since 2005... I started off over 215kgs (exact start weight unknown, as never left the house to go to Boots to weigh myself as I couldn't face the stares and laughs, and the Doc's scales only go up to the 20's!!!)

I have so far managed to get down to under 160kgs, and it feels great to be able to walk around, work and drive again... but I have another 12-14st to shift, so I have opted for a Gastric Bypass to help me not only lose the weight, but to address my eating issues and change the way/things I eat.

When I got the referral and met Mr Somers (gosh, what a nice man!!!), he said he was happy to go with whatever proceedure I wanted, and let me go home to think about it with all the printed info in my sweaty paws... it only took me a night to decided... bypass or nothing!!! :p

I have been given my pre-op for this Friday (4th) and his secretary said she will book me in for the op on the 17th!!!

I am really excited... but also nervous... not of the op itself, but of the psychological issues surrounding the loss I will suffer... my comfort blanket, food, will be changed forever :( How will I cope? :confused:

They offered me an appointment to speak to his brilliant Psychological team, but I think I have talked enough about my abusive and addictive relationship with food (I went to see a Psychotherapist in 2004/5 and just spent the time crying!!!) and just need to plough on and deal with it when it comes.

I have been reading your stories on here and it really has confirmed what I felt for a long time... this is the right thing to do, and I only have a slimmer, happier future to look forward to :)

Wishing you all the best...

Ollie x

Last edited:

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Lovely to meet you Ollie, you have an amazing story :)

Best of luck with the pre-op on Friday, although I'm sure you'll be fine and won't need it :D

Shel

mandy-1975

Hiya

Thank you for sharing your story with us, it was great to read.... I understand what you mean about the comfort I was a real comfort eater.. (24-48 packs of crisps in one sitting) and i am coping without it, i will admit it is hard but i am doing it.......

Good luck with your pre op appointment... we are all here to support you my msn is [email protected] if you ever want to chat

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ollie,

Mr Somers really sounds like a very nice man and I am delighted for you.

I am really excited... but also nervous... not of the op itself, but of the psychological issues surrounding the loss I will suffer... my comfort blanket, food, will be changed forever :( How will I cope? :confused:

Have you tried NLP or thought about it?

Here is a good description of what it is on this link
What is NLP?

Wishing you all the best:hug99:

Love Mini xxx

Last edited:

Alice

Loser :)
Hi Ollie,

I just wanted to say I was really touched by your story. Well done for fighting and pushing to get a thyroid diagnosis! And don't worry about your nurse training... once you've had the op and lost the weight, you can pick up where you left off - and your experiences will make you a fabulous nurse!

I also just wanted to say well done for the weight you've lost so far! Over 55kgs?! That's a huge amount - all power to you!

Good luck and stay strong.

Alice xx

alliecat

frustrated bander!
Welcome Ollie!
There are so many parts of your story I can relate to, so just wanted to say congratulations on getting your op date and here's to a brighter future!
There is soo much support here it is untrue, keep posting to let us all know how you are doing x

BellyFlop

Hi and Welcome!

I'm sure that Mr Somers is also performing WLS on another Miniminer the day before you?!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it's Wannafitonaplaneseat!

Small world!:)

Good Luck with it, and lots of happiness!

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hiya again

Great read hun and thanks for sharing it with us. You have done so well and will continue to suceed.

xxx

Trinaweena

Hi Ols and welcome to this great site:flowers::flowers::flowers:
Thank you for sharing you story with us, you have done brilliant with 55kg weight loss Well done:):girlpower::girlpower:
There are of lots of great people on here who will give you support and help should you need it.
Keep us up to date and Take care
Karina xx

Olsbols

Sliced and diced!!!
Hey!!!

Thanks sooooooooooooo much for all your lovely replies... :)

I am really excited... but nervous as well... Mr Somers asked me to lose some weight before the op and I haven't really managed it :banghead:

I lost just over half a stone, but it's all gone back on - two reasons, really... one, I have severe problems with my periods because of my thyroid and haven't seen it for about 11 weeks!!! :beam:

And the second is a distinct case of a 'stuffathon'!!! You know the one... you know you are having something to change your weight, so you stuff your face in anticipation... a bit like the night before you restart CD!!! :brainfart:

Anyhow, he did say it wouldn't stop the op, but he would like to see some loss - I am now doing the 'bring the boat' dance in the back garden to hope it brings about some cosmic change that kicks it into go!!! :vibes:

Someone slap me, please...!!! :whoopass:
x

PS In case you haven't noticed, I absolutely ADORE the smilies on here!!! LOL!!!

Olsbols

Sliced and diced!!!
Oooooooooh!!!

Hi and Welcome!

I'm sure that Mr Somers is also performing WLS on another Miniminer the day before you?!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it's Wannafitonaplaneseat!

Small world!:)

Oooh, I will keep a look out for her!!!

x

DQ

Minimins Admin
Heya Ols, chuffed you have an appointment and looking forward to supporting you through this. Now don't make me set McGuffty on you about that weight loss! :eek: :rotflmao:

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Hey Ols, don't worry to much about the weight loss. I thought I'd gained before my pre-op this week as had been on a stuffathon too but had actually lost a kilo (ok so not a huge amount lol). I lived off takeout and had a weekend away at a theme park!

The stress will take care of some loss I think. Mental attitude helps though. Try not to see this as your last chance to eat all your favourite foods. Chances are you will be able to eat nearly all of them again, but only one mouthful! I also spent a long time learning to listen to my stomach so I could stop eating before I got to feeling full. That helped a lot because although I was still eating the wrong food I was eating considerably less than usual.

Mr Somers seems like a great doc, and rather easy on the eye, you'll be in great hands :D

wannafitonplaneseat

emmatryingtogetthinner
:Dhello :D just a quicky as i wanted to say hi and good luck i also am under shaw somers and yes he is a lovely man :eek: i think someone mentioned me having op on 16th july no that is nic :) im waiting for my appointment to have op end of month as his secretary said he makes appointments 3 weeks in advance so anyday now i should hear.good luck with your op...sorry to anyone reading this wondering where i am as i said in earlier post ive just been promoted and am literally stacked with work right now and time is short.im hoping to come on again soon and update all and also read more posts.lots of love and hello nic if your reading this thanks for pm xxx
back soon

Olsbols

Sliced and diced!!!
Dare I say it...

Mr Somers seems like a great doc, and rather easy on the eye, you'll be in great hands :D

Hell, yeah!!! :eek:

I have all my girlfriends saying that they will come down to 'visit me'... probably around the time Mr Somers does his rounds, no doubt!!! :rolleyes: :D

x

Last edited:

Olsbols

Sliced and diced!!!
Hey!!!

:Dhello :D just a quicky as i wanted to say hi and good luck i also am under shaw somers

Oooooh... all the best for your dates coming through!!! Mr Somers and his team are soooooooooo nice, aren't they. I love the little suite just off the side of main outpatients - really nice and cosy, makes you feel taken care of!!!

BTW... wannafitonplaneseat is a bit of a mouthful... what is your name?!!! :p

Mine's Ollie... :)

x

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
lol ollie if it weren't so far and it weren't the day after mine I'd want to come visit too!

Olsbols

Sliced and diced!!!
Right, just online to get the directions to Chichester... feel nervous... I just hope they don't find anything that prevents my op :(

I'm sure they won't, but you can't help but worry, can you?!!!

x

alliecat

frustrated bander!
Good luck Ollie x Let us know how you get on