1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!
    Dismiss Notice

Homerton Newbie Here!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by MariaMaria83, Jul 12, 2018.

1. MariaMaria83

MariaMaria83 Active Member

Hey guys and girls!!
    I’m at the very very start of my journey, infact only just received my appointment letters today. I have my bariatric assessment appointment and my bariatric consultant appointment both on the same day, 14th September.
    I’m very excited about the whole thing as it’s not something I’d ever thought I’d be given the opportunity to pursue on the NHS!
    From the reading I’ve been doing, am I right in thinking that my ‘starting weight’ will be recorded as what it is at my assessment? I’m asking this as I’m currently following Slimming World (again!) The weight is coming off and since my doctor referred me, a little over a month ago, I’ve lost just over a stone. Will losing more weight before my assessment, and consequently lowering my BMI, lower my chances of being accepted? My BMI was 51 at the time of my GP’s referral.
    Or am I over thinking it at this early stage!?
    Hope to hear some words of wisdom soon!! xx

Bek_42r likes this.
  2. starryeyed

starryeyed Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    31st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st4lb
    Lost(%):
    17st6lb(54.71%)
    Surgery Type:
    Gastric sleeve 25/04/2016
    Funding Type:
    NHS
    Surgery Date::
    25/04/2016
    Your start weight is counted at your first assessment but they’ll have a referral from your gp recording your highest.x

Parsnip, Bek_42r and MariaMaria83 like this.
  3. Irene44

Irene44 Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st3lb(15.27%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    Hi and welcome

Mine was first consultation with surgeon xx

4. MariaMaria83

Thank you for your reply.
    Oh ok so was there no reference to your weight recorded previous to that? Assuming that was heavier? x

5. Irene44

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st3lb(15.27%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    I went private for mine as with my heart problems and other health issues I didn’t want to wait to be hitting 60 and I would just of continued to gain more weight. I have been saving for ages sold some bits n bobs to scrape the money together My BMI was 37.4 when I had my consultation and was a few pounds heavier than I am now I didn’t know at that time that my surgeon wouldn’t be weighing me again! So was scared to drop below 35 so just maintaining. I was actually heavier but did lose nearly a stone before I referred to Spire group. Hoping milk diet will shift a few more pounds before bypass.

My Dietitian who is tiny said she tried LRD to see what it was like so she could empathise with her clients. Lost a stone god love her I’m guessing they will weigh me again before the op though Blingbabe also nearly went below her 35. She’s very wise on this subject Obie-one-canobi “sorry for spelling!! “ Of WLS So many many people on these forums that will help and support you Maria Keep posting and keep asking. Looking forward to following your journey xx

Emma1504 and MariaMaria83 like this.
  6. MariaMaria83

I didn’t even go to my GP to ask for WLS, I went for an asthma review, he weighed and measured me as per and saw that my weight was 10kg more than the last time (although I was already losing with SW), he asked if I’d ever thought about WLS? I said I had but could never afford it, he told me I ticked all the boxes for him so he would refer me.
    I can lose weight and I will continue to lose weight before my appointments but I don’t want anybody to be under any illusions that I can do it and maintain on my own. I can lose about 5st on my own, plateau then it goes back on again.
    Just worried they’ll think if I can do it independently through SW I don’t need surgical help :(

Irene44 likes this.
  7. Bling Babe

Bling Babe Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    16st7.0lb
    Current Weight:
    10st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st2lb(37.23%)
    Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Funding Type:
    NHS
    Consultant:
    MrJain
    5th April 2018
    Hi and a warm welcome to you, I always advice using the nhs waiting time to research research research so you know as much as possible about your surgery and living with your weight loss tool.
    I was told at first that if I went below a BMI of 35 I would no longer be eligible and I very nearly went below, however I was later told that they went by your start weight/BMI but after this confusion I didn’t believe them so made sure I stayed above.
    Good luck with your journey try to keep us posted xxx

MariaMaria83, Emma1504 and Irene44 like this.
  8. starryeyed

starryeyed Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    31st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st4lb
    Lost(%):
    17st6lb(54.71%)
    Surgery Type:
    Gastric sleeve 25/04/2016
    Funding Type:
    NHS
    25/04/2016
    I was at homerton. They use your starting point reference as when they first weigh you AT the hospital.

Irene44, Emma1504 and MariaMaria83 like this.
  9. MariaMaria83

Than
    i will definitely keep you posted and I will, without a doubt, have more questions....if that’s ok?
    My BMI has gone from 51 to 48 in a month so it won’t be going anywhere near too low before my assessment date, although there’s 9 weeks yet so maybe I should concentrate on maintaining rather than losing? I plan on doing lots of reading and gathering information, it’s all very boggling at the moment!! :)

Emma1504 and Irene44 like this.
  10. Bling Babe

Bling Babe Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    16st7.0lb
    Current Weight:
    10st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st2lb(37.23%)
    Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Funding Type:
    NHS
    Consultant:
    MrJain
    5th April 2018
    Of course you can ask questions, we will always try to answer them.
    Yea there is sooooooo much information to retain and I’m still learning more day by day xxx

Emma1504, MariaMaria83 and Irene44 like this.
  11. Sandra Carter

Sandra Carter Well-Known Member

Start Weight:
    31st0lb
    Current Weight:
    24st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st1lb(19.59%)
    Funding Type:
    NHS
    Hi, I'm at Luton & Dunstable hospital, they weigh you on your first visit and that is your starting weight and BMI, after that they told me they are happy for you to lose as much weight as you can because its better when you have surgery. I think you should call your hospital up and clarify whether its wise for you to lose weight at this point as you don't want to ruin your chance of getting surgery if your BMI went below that required for NHS surgery, but I can't really imagine any health team putting you off losing weight, when ultimately it makes surgery safer. Good luck with your journey x

MariaMaria83 and Emma1504 like this.
  12. MariaMaria83

So I emailed the team at homerton who basically said they’d never discourage anybody from losing weight at any point, which is what I thought they’d say. But I think rather than go full throttle at Slimming World, I’m going to try to maintain where I am with my weight but definitely not lose more than lb a week until my initial weigh in, think that’s probably my best bet....8 weeks today!!! Not counting or anything!!
    Hope everybody is well, xx

Emma1504, Sandra Carter and Irene44 like this.
  13. Irene44

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4.0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st3lb(15.27%)
    Surgery Type:
    Bypass
    Funding Type:
    Private
    Consultant:
    Mr carr
    July
    Hi Maria fab no worries now then. Those 8 weeks will fly Hope your feeling well xx

Emma1504 and MariaMaria83 like this.
  14. MariaMaria83

Well I’m not too sure how it’s happened but by not over thinking it I’ve managed to lose 8 lb in 2 weeks! So much for maintaining!
    Maybe I’ll treat myself to a takeaway a week! :)

15. 12lizzie12

12lizzie12 Member

Hi Maria,

How long did it take you to receive an appointment after GP referral. I got referred to Homerton by my Gp on Monday and he said if I don’t hear anything in two weeks to give the Gp a call x

16. MariaMaria83

Hi Lizzie, it took 3-4 weeks. You can always email the team at Homerton, including your NHS number, ask if they’ve received your referral. I contacted them after 2 weeks and they said hadn’t received anything? Yet a week and a half later I got my letter offering me my first appointments.
    It’s sooo hard to be patient!!!
    Let me know how you get on,
    x

Emma1504 likes this.
  17. 12lizzie12

12lizzie12 Member

Hi Maria,

Thank you so much for replying to me!
    I’m so impatient haha! I think it’s because I tried so hard to loose weight to even get the referral. Did you have to go on a weight management programme? Or does the referral mean I don’t have to go through that. I will definitely let you know how I get on! How are you getting on? X

Kelly Hunting and Emma1504 like this.
  18. MariaMaria83

I haven’t done a weight management programme though the gp but my gp knows I do go to a Slimming World group every week, and have done for more or less 2 years. I’ve had numerous ‘blips’ along the way where I’ve fallen off the wagon and gained massively one those times was recently and the doctor basically said enough is enough, he knows I go to the groups and if it’s something I’d ever thought about and was happy to learn more about then he’d refer me. To be honest, it was a bit of a mind blown moment, I went in for an asthma review and came out with a bariatric referral!!
    When I said earlier that homerton said they hadn’t received my referral, I went into the doctors to query it with the lady who done the referral in the first place, the nurse happened to over hear my convo (as they do) and she basically dashed all my hopes. She said she was the only one who was allowed to do bariatric referrals and I needed to follow a MoreLife weight management 12 week course first.
    But it turns out, because my BMI was over 50, she didn’t know what she was talking about and I got the appointment letter not long after.

Have you done any kind of weight management?

Sorry for the essay lol!! x

Emma1504 likes this.
  19. 12lizzie12

12lizzie12 Member

Omg it’s so annoying when someone just swoops in and tries to ruin everything. I’m glad you’ve finally recieved your appointment, have you seen them yet?

A bit of a background about me, I’ve been overweight my whole life and after having 2 kids I just but on more and more weight. I have tried every diet Atkins, slimfast etc I would loose weight only to put it back on and more.

I went to see my GP in February this year and weighed me and told me my bmi was 45 I’m (5’2 btw) and he told me I should loose some weight and he will put me orlistat. I’ve tried so hard since then to loose weight myself. This Monday I went to my Gp and he told me my bmi was 40.6. As he was about to prescribe me orlistat a warning sign popped up on the computer screen, warning that it would have an interaction with medication I take now. So he said he would just refer me to the bariatric team. So after doing research I’ve seen people have to go on weight loss management programmes but he didn’t say anything about that to me. I have seen a nutritionist before in 2016. So I don’t know if I still have to go through a weight management programme or if I’ve skipped all that because he’s referred me. All the posts on here seem to say Homerton are amazing so hopefully I here back soon I can’t wait to be a healthy me again. Do you know which surgery you would like? X

Emma1504 and Irene44 like this.
  20. MariaMaria83

No not seen anybody yet, I’ve got both my assessment and consultant appointment on 14th September, seems ages away but times going real quickly. I know you can bybass the weight management if your BMI is 50+ I’m not sure if the hospital wouldrefer you back though once your there? I’m sure your gp would know what they’re doing? Have you asked the GP?
    Homerton do seem to be really proactive. All my emails have been responded to that hour, I emailed on a Sunday and got a response 7.30 Monday morning!!

I’m still doing lots of reading of the surgeries, it’s very boggling!! A good friend of mine paid foe the sleeve privately about 18mths ago now and she’s doing amazingly! Do you have any idea? Do you know anyone who’s had surgeries? x

Emma1504 likes this.