• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do o decide which opp is right for you?

Suwiexx

I ya I wanted to know why everyone chose there specific opp? The drs have recommended I have a bypass but I don't know if that's the rit one for me as it's so final and irreversible it's scaring me a bit. So plz don't hold back why was your opp the right one for you? I have my 1st hospital app on fri at cx x

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Suwiexx said:
I ya I wanted to know why everyone chose there specific opp? The drs have recommended I have a bypass but I don't know if that's the rit one for me as it's so final and irreversible it's scaring me a bit. So plz don't hold back why was your opp the right one for you? I have my 1st hospital app on fri at cx x

It is sometimes based on your eating habits. Sometimes in the amount you have to lose.

Bypass is best for me because it's irreversible and I am a grazer who also would eat meals that are far to big for me :)

I choose the bypass, a few reasons not least that I wanted the control of dumping, which I'm lucky enough to do:)

It has the longest history as a successful op with alot of patients having had the treatment over 30 years ago, I don't have a huge appetitite but like lots of creamy high fat sauces etc and i felt that banding requires a lot of fill/defills and I wanted to have one op and heal and get on with life

Its a very personal choice and only you can decide. Get as much research in about all the options and I'm sure the right one for you will be obvious:)

I chose the bypass because it is forever. Can't think why I'd want to get fat and unhealthy again. I also chose it because when I attended the forum and slide show as my first appointment we were told that the band only last for 10 years then has to be replaced and I don't want to have to go through all this malarky again. I'm not sure if I dump yet but I sure hope I do. I'm not going to test it out. I'm also a grazer which is better for a bypass than a band.

I think it's down to personal choice. I do know that my only regret is that I didn't do this 15 years ago.

Kate x

The Dr chose bypass for me as I am diabetic and it gives the fastest resolution. I chose it BECAUSE it's not reversible. I never want to go through all this again, and once slim I never want to be like this again. I didn't want to take the chance that I would cheat the band, never find the "sweet spot" with fills and de fills. I am newly post op and had no problems so far. In 12 days I have lost a stone. I wish I had it done years and years ago.
Whatever you decide, I wish you luck. xxxxxxxxx

I choose to have a Gastric bypass as it was pointed out to me at the L&D that it may well improve or even get rid of the drugs I needed to control my Type II diabetes. They were correct as I no longer need to inject insulin and the amounts of tablets I take have been more than halved. In the not to distant future I have been told I might even be able to stop taking the remaining tablets along with the blood pressure tablets. Although the type II is still lurking inside me some ware it is the nearest thing I am likely to get to a cure.

Stavros:):)

Hi Suwiexx,

I found this place online with a lot of info and comparisons of all the surgeries (including diagramatic YouTube clips showing exactly what happens in each surgery):

Types of Bariatric Surgery - The 16 Primary Established & Experimental Procedures

It is a US site, so ignore all the $ dollar costs of the operations. Also it lists a LOT of options that probably are not available on the NHS.

Most NHS hospitals only offer 3 ops: (full) gastric bypass, gastric sleeve, or gastric band.

Back