• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do you reach 1000 cals?

Wobbletogo

Likes to read
I'm just 4 days post op from gastric plication so I understand things are still swollen but today my intake so far...

3 sip of 2 cups of tea
half a small latte
1 omeprazole capsule
100ml water with forceval vitamin dissolved in
1 paracetamol,
6 5ml spoons of calpol (switched to calpol as tablet hurt)
1 duloxetine capsule
1 minestrone cup-a-soup strained of bits
half an actimel yoghurt
half a glass of apple juice

It looks like most my day has been meds, vitamins and painkiller led!! I have felt full all day and I think my total intake barely reaches 300cals and nowhere near 2litre of fluid.

Can anyone help me with what to add to increase the calories without producing lare volumes more fluid?

I've been having Slimfast and Tony ferguson sachets from Boots, 15g of protein each, but obviously the fluid in increased. You'll get there, its early days xx

I had a different op but I was the same 250-300 calories max in the early days. Don't worry too much, just do the best you can and eventually you will manage more. Protein and slimfast shakes will definitely increase your calories and of course the magic protein but of course they are more fluid. It will get easier to drink more as time goes on though x

Could you manage tinned soups with the bits strained out?
Cuppa soups have no nutritional value at all!
And what about those tiny Petit Filous fromage frais? They're nice and very easy on your stomach.
I know what you mean, I'm struggling to get cals and fluids in, but I suppose it all comes with practice.
Hope you're doing ok though.
Em xxxx

Shelley is right, dont worry for the first couple of weeks, then you will find you can eat more anyway. Then try to get as much protein in as possible, good luck :) xxx

I was worried like you as I was averaging 225 cals in my first few days in fact, Im now day 6 and I've not gotten over 300 cals on any day . . . and suffering if I had anything thicker than water LOL

When I spoke to my provider yesterday the nurse said its fine, to focus on keeping fluids in rather than thicker things. As such, because I was struggling with the fact that if I had some milk I was then full all day, I couldn't get anything else in. I've had to go to the point of removing dairy, milk, yoghurt etc and focus on juice, water, tea and coffee, and my stomach feels much better today :)

I explained to her I was concerned about the very small amount I was taking in calorie wise, and she advised me not to worry.

Last edited:
In the early days fluids first & protein if you can, leave worrying about calories until you are back on solids once everything has settled. To start with you have so little you'll stress out because you physically can't take in that much, heal first then start the calories/ protein levels count when on SIDS & even then it's more protein first cities second, it will all settle into a routine as you learn what works & what doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Lots of good advice, thanks. Must admit at 5 days post op you do worry if you can't take anything in then you're gonna get ill! Already discovered my system is not liking activia yoghurt! Back to water then :(

it is difficult indeed.

I had 100 mls of apple juice for breakfast and I've just poured another 100 mls of orange juice for lunch . . .may give a actimel a go later, but even the thought of flavoured thicker anything than water makes me go "blegh" lol

I drank loads of actimel in the early days!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using WLSurgery

well wobbletogo, don't know how I did it, but I am just 3 weeks out and I managed to go over a 1000 calories yesterday, and am shocked I could eat so much in truth. Here is what I had..

200gms Pureed tinned stew steak
350mls skimmed milk
muller lite yogurt
2 x laughing cow lite cheese triangles
100gms mash 50gms corned beef 1 tbsp of lite mayonaise pureed
1 x 500ml bottle whey protein water.

that little lot came to 1004 calories.. eeek!! shan't be doing that again in a hurry...

well wobbletogo, don't know how I did it, but I am just 3 weeks out and I managed to go over a 1000 calories yesterday, and am shocked I could eat so much in truth. Here is what I had..

200gms Pureed tinned stew steak
350mls skimmed milk
muller lite yogurt
2 x laughing cow lite cheese triangles
100gms mash 50gms corned beef 1 tbsp of lite mayonaise pureed
1 x 500ml bottle whey protein water.

that little lot came to 1004 calories.. eeek!! shan't be doing that again in a hurry...

I'm guessing that's the danger when you're concentrating more on pushing down the proteins, sometimes lots of calories come along with it!

It all sounds yummy though...as I sit here drinking my clear soup :p

lol!! sorry wobbletogo! not long before clear liquids will be just a faded memory xx

so sorry you are struggling, your tum is probably still really badly swollen. hopefully will get better in a short while. am thinking of you hune.

5 days post op and the most I've managed is 300 cals! Just a little soup and I'm stuffed!

its still very early days yet 67jax xx

I can remember I used to have a whole tin of soup with 3 slices of bread and still not be full, now I struggle to finish half a tin and no bread.....it's weird!

It sure does take some getting used to wobbletogo, but once you do there will be no stopping you Im sure xx

Back