• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

i need help

iainrenicks

hi folks , I am a 42 year old male 5'10 with a BMI of 65ish , I have recently been watching a lot of progs on telly about gastric band surgery primarily the one about the surgeon Mr Super in Birmingham
I have been FAT since I was a little kid 5 or so, my Dad was a big guy too 30 stone plus at his biggest.
i lost my dad 3 1/2 years ago he had diabetes, and eventually his kidneys gave up
I always thought i had inherited the fat gene from him when i was young I dieted for my country but it does'nt matter what I do my weight goes up and down but never significantly . I am now plucked up enough courage to go and see my GP to see what he is saying.
I read in the papers about all these folk who have fry up's every morning, bacon rolls at elevenses , whole pizza for lunch, 4 cans of coke a day , indian takeaway for dinner , 6 pints of lager and a kebab on the way home.

it would kill me I have orange juice and 50g of cereal at 6.45
2 granary baps with ham and a small bag of walkers c&o at 10.45
dinner at 5 .30 which could be scampi and chips and a slice of bread and butter
and sometimes a couple of funsize sweets in the evening
i try and drink diet pop or water and i have i can of beer or cider at the weekend.
all my food is homemade we may have a chinese once a month
dont drink coffee only tea no sugar

I work 9 hour days in a butchers shop 6 days a week
and am always out and about on a sunday

where am i going wrong

opinions and advice very welcome

jjan3t

Hi and welcome to minimins. Sorry I can't help you with your query, did not want to read and run. Hopefully someone will be able to help. :)

LBD

Hi Iain and welcome to the site. This is an amazing place where you will find tons of information and support.

I'm not sure I am qualified to advise people about their diet etc. However I think speaking to your GP is certainly the first step in trying to get some help.

If you are interested in weight loss surgery I would advise you to research, research and research! If you look in the 'sticky' section of the surgery weight loss forum you will find lots of helpful threads.

Lisa J

CRYSTAL PALACE FC!
hi iain
im one of those that eat too much but have always managed to shift my weight through diet until i gave up smoking 2 1/2 years ago since then i put on 4 stone and couldnt budge a pound of it. i also come from a large family but we've always eaten large portions of food i think that's where alot of people go wrong. i recentley had a gastric bypass (13th may) and including the 2wk pre-op have lost 2lb short of 2 stone(in 4 wks). some people are just unlucky with 'the fat gene' and need some help i would recommend surgery every time, it isnt fun being fat so why live like that if you dont have to.
lisa j x

rambo

leicester tigers
hi ian
welcome to the club i to am almost identical to you even down to the butchering lol well i have the same bmi same hight same eating habbitts i have also been dignosed with type 2 diabetes tried all the diets been there done that lost seven stone it came back with vengence my consultant tells me the best way forward for me is a bypass to bring my weight down and help with the diabetes, have you been tested for diabetes buy your doc ? have u disscused the weight problem with him ? is surgery the route you want to go down? for me its a no brainer hope this helps we are a frindly lot here and full of support for you just ask
regards steve

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Hi Iain, welcome to Mini's.

I agree the first step is to speak to your GP. Find out what help is available in your area, do you know what PCT you come under? We can help you find out if NHS surgery is even an option for you.

If you are going to look at surgery, with your BMI I would strongly suggest you look at the gastric bypass as oppose to the band. That said, it's a personal decision.

:welcome2: Iain,

you've come to the right place. I am fairly new here too and already had some invaluable advise. I agree with Rambo, your first port of call is your GP. Like Rambo said they will be able to test for any under lying problems (such as diabetes). I was very lucky with my gp, he has been very supportive. Finger crossed yours is the same. xxxx

farzu

Hello Iain,
Welcome to the forum. I won't be able to help you as i'm also new here and didn't had the op yet but there are many helpfull people here who will be very happy to help.

yasmine-samara

Hi there,

Firstly, it takes a lot of courage to admit you need help in the first place and secondly, I admire your honesty and feel that if you go and see your GP and tell him/her exactly how you feel and how your weight is having a negative inpact on your life then I'm sure s/he will do all they can to help you.

I wish you all the luck in the world and stay strong!!

xxx

topsy

Hi Iain - and WELCOME to Minis. This is an amazing space and you will always have someone to answer any query you have to do with WLS also the natives are friendly

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
hi ian welcome to minis, as the others have said you need to make an app with the gp, bands suit volume eaters not grazers or sweet food lovers, you need to research both procedures and see which would be most suited to your eating habbits/lifestyle.

liz x

julia in bath

hi Ian,
Welcome. I am a newbie here too. Been to my drs 2 weeks ago to ask for wls. I am now waiting to hear back from my PCT re funding. This is a fantastic forum with very friendly and supportive members, there is always someone here to offer advice and post op members stories are very motivational.
All the very best of luck with your weight loss. I hope your GP is supportive. Personally I would say go for surgery, listening to others on here it is the start of a new life for those who have had it done and I can't wait for mine. I hope you stay here and share your journey with us. xx

tendersage

Hi Ian welcome to mini's and the begining of your journy, definately speak to your GP about how you are affected by your weight and ask about WLS. There is lots of information available as has been mentioned, look at the sticky section

iainrenicks

Can i firstly thank everyone ho replied to my thread , off to see my gp next week , here goes,i presume pct is primary care trust, i am in Dumfries in the south of scotland, one of my big fears is that if i have surgery and lose a lot of weight will i know how to be thin as i have always been fat, but i will get my head round that one , once again thanks to all . progress reports will be forthcoming , greetings to Rambo a fellow butcher.

julia in bath

yes Ian PCT=primary care trust. They are the ones who need to say 'yes' you can have the funding for surgery. Think you'll find there are a few members here from Scotland. Look forward to hearing how you get on xxxx

zetacatty

A loser at last!
:welcome: Hi, welcome to Minis. First of all, good luck with your visit to your GP. In the meantime you could visit the BOSPA site which will give you loads of information and tell you what your PCT's guidelines for surgery are. I was referred in January and I am waiting to hear about funding (which shouldn't be a problem) but I didn't get fat overnight so I can't really moan about waiting for surgery! It's not a quick solution, NHS, but worth the wait. You are in the best hands because private hospitals don't have intensive care and if anything went wrong you would end up in an NHS hospital anyway. I'd rather be there to start with. Good luck with your weight loss journey and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. Zxx

rambo

leicester tigers
hi iain
well you have taken the first step of your journey, it can be a tuff road to follow but if you want it bad enoungh you will get there, once you have been to the doc i,m sure you will have a clearer picture of what is involved and there is more support on here than you can shake a stick at. just do the research theres lots to take in and get your head around but you have started already otherwise you would not be here now,,, keep postin,,,all the best fellow butcher,,,,,
regards rambo.