• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I need ideas on what to eat 4 months post op please

Thaialina

Hi,
I had a fairly uneventful 3 months post op, but I keep feeling ill, tires, hot and bloated when I eat in the day (usually not in the evening). I'm a vegetarian and find it hard to eat the following things during the day:
Bread (brown and white)
Pasta/Rice/Noodles
Eggs
Yoghurt
Cereal
Jam
Pastry
Quorn
Tofu

The only things that don't seem to make me feel bad during the day are:
Crispbread
Melted cheese
Puffy crisps
Veg
Potato

I am worried that most of the things that I can eat are bad for me, especially for my weight loss which has slowed down a lot. I am also fed up of the crispbread and have difficulty eating veg, potato and melted cheese (I don't like cold cheese) during the day when I'm out working. I don't eat fish or meat and am really running out of ideas. Some days I just put off eating as long as I can because I don't fancy it or because I don't want to feel bad after it. I'm not a big tomatoor salad person, so really need your help please.

are you banded or bypassed ?

Hi there chuck, its must be double difficult for you been a veggie, I have a few recipies for some really nice soups - yeah boring I know but they do taste lovely and can be easily taken into work if required, shout out if you want to know them!
One over thing I have noticed is that sandwich wraps are a lot easier to eat than your run of the mill sliced loaf,have you tried them?

soups a good idea, as you can have a million varietys and not get bored. Get yourself a small flask (wilkos do a wide necked one with a spoon in it) so when you're on the go you can still have hot soup. You could then make up things like curries, chillis and ratatouilles to go in it sometimes if you like.

Thanks guys. I've tried wraps and they have an even worse effect on me than bread. As I'm quite mobile at work, I can't really hog a flask around as I already carry my laptop, sat nav etc and my bag is far too heavy as it is. Sorry to put a downer on everything. I only wish that I could take something as light and easy as a sandwich, but obviously I can't. Liz,I a bypass.

Hiya

You will get over the sick or hard to eat period. But in the mean time try not to worry . jacket potatoes with cheese are ok potatoes have the good carbs in,
Just try and keep your protein up and have a little boiled veg and you will be fine.

Are you felling very hungry or just really worries about not eating.

My mates friend had the bypass and she cannot tolerate any bread, rice or pasta so it may be that its just not for you. I agree nice healthy soup. You could make some with lentils as they are nice and healthy and fill you up. What about brothy type ones with barley? I am hoping I can still eat those two items if I ever get the bypass because they are warm, filling and healthy....you could always ask a dietician as well, if I remember right you went private but surely your GP can put you in touch with a dietician at a local clinic as its in their best interest you make the most of your bypass and stay healthy. Hope this helps....sorry if I seem to put my two peneth in when I have not had any surgery....Linda x

Hi Sara, i'm about the same stage as you post bypass. i still can't manage bread or pasta at all but have been fine with quorn chilli and veggie homemade curries with a tiny amount of rice. Salad goes down ok too and tend to have that a lunchtime. Eating first thing is still a no go as i have that horrible morning sickness feeling but i seem to do better as the day goes on. Keep positive hun i think it's a case of testing and see how things work for you. take care x

Hi Tammy,
I miss my quorn! I used to be able to eat the hot dog sausages and bolognese but now they're a big no no for some reason. My body just reacts to them. I'm fine with salad, but all I like is lettuce and onion, so it's not very exciting for lunch. I am being positive and try new things as much as I can.

Good luck with it sara it must be so hard if you are restricted by what you can eat. i haven't tried to quorn sausages or that as tend to find lumpier food is still quite hard to digest. hope you manage to find new foods that agree with you x

Sara have you tried other leaves to make up a salad? Spinach, rocket, pea sprouts etc? Maybe you could make up a very small salad to atleast get you going at lunchtime. I'm similar with salads, don't like most of it, but I do like mixed leaves, grated carrot and sweetcorn.

Hi there, what about tuna mayo/philadelphia light/dairylea light on melba toasts/ryvitas or crackers, rather than crispbreads.

Hi Sara

I know the feeling hun.... I don't have breakfast as I really struggle.... so I have a glass of milk!!!

Then I have dinner usual crispbread! or ryvita.... or some fruit.... I struggle with bread, and wraps, I used to love wraps but can't eat them and for some reason bread has turned in to a no no aswell....

Although I am a fussy eater, and like you I loved pasta, lasagne and bolognes, but can't stomach any of these at moment....

I spoke to my dietician regarding my weightloss and eating foods, she suggested like you all the foods that i am not that keen on!!! but also said, it is a phase that you hit round about this time of the bypass......

SHe told me to just keep trying all the foods....

I tend to struggle to eat at night, as i find after I do it is really uncomfotable!

Do you get this?

Hi Mandy,
It's nice to know I'm not alone! My dietician and surgeon have never seen patients like this months after the op. I am exactly the same as you during the day, but can tolerate more variety at night. I'm glad the quorn bolognese went down Ok for a change last night.

Another option is rice-cakes or oat-cakes, topped with philly/hummus etc. Oooh Rakusens make a gorgeous 97% fat free cracker (they call it a matso cracker) and the garlic and herb one is nomnomnom yummy!

hey winky even after 16 months i still cant eat bread rice or pasta very good hun, just stick with it and things will ease, i dont know wot to suggest with u being a veggie hun take care, hows gordon xxx

Back