• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm new here and on the pre-op diet!

Hi Guys,

I've been reading this forum for a while now and have finally decided to join!
I'm 22 and my initial weight was
22st 7lbs, I had my consultation on June 27th and my surgery is booked for 20.08.08 at Dolan Park with WGA, I was told at my consultation that I needed to get my BMI below 45 (otherwise they wanted me to pay more money!), my BMI was initially 47.9. So for the past 7 weeks I've adopted a whole new lifestyle and way of eating which was very hard as I love junk food and chocolate, I also had no portion control what so ever!I lost 1st 5lbs which I was happy with, Im now 12 days from surgery and am on the pre-op diet (mine is 2 pints of milk and 3 yoghurts a day), I really didn't think I would find it as hard as I have, having read other stories by people also on the pre-op diet, I feel like i'm the only one who is feeling utterly miserable! Everyone else on here seems really positive but i'm finding every day a struggle, I wake up hungry, I go to bed hungry, I spend all day starving, I have no energy, I know it sounds pathetic but I could cry!On the positive side, the pre-op diet seems to be working as I'm now 20st 3lbs (current BMI 41.5), giving me a total weightloss so far of 2st 4lbs which i think is a pretty good start to my banding journey. Is there anyone out there who is also finding the milk & yoghurt diet a truly soul destroying experience?:cry:

Hi and welcome to Minis. The pre-op diet will get easier but it is a killer at first - your energy will return I promise!! I had my band on July 14th and have no regrets at all! There are a couple of people on here who have either had or are due to have surgery at Dolan Park and I am sure they will be along soon to help.
Just take it one day at a time and keep the bigger picture in mind. You have done amazingly well so far, well done and keep going - it is worth it in the end xx

Hi that is fantastic weightloss so far!!!!!!! you are doing great....... I understand that the pre op diet is hard, i did find it hard but you will find the reason why people are happy is because they kno wit is a means to an end!!!!!!!!!

We are all here to support you!!!!!!!!!

Hi there,

Wow, well done on your weightloss so far! What an achievement - and it will make the surgery much safer for you.

I had my band at Dolan Park a few weeks ago... so let me know if I can answer any questions!

I did the same pre-op diet as you except I only did it for 7 days.

How long have you been doing it? I am guessing that if you are on it for 2 weeks and your op is the 20th, you've only been on the milk diet a couple of days?

I found the first 2-3 days hell on earth - I was constantly hungry and moody and sorry for myself. I had the worst headache ever - and nothing would touch it... I didn't know how I would get through a week of it. But it got much easier. By the end of the 7 days, I was in the swing of it and used to being hungry. I stopped craving food and was happier.

Try and hang in there. I froze some yoghurts and had those for variety. I also added an espresso to my milk once a day just for a change. Also, make sure you drink lots of fluids - aim for 2.5 litres on top of the milk you are drinking. You'll feel totally rubbish if you get dehydrated too.

Hope that helps. Hang in there - it will be worth it!

Alice xx

Hi and welcome
Congratulations on your weight loss that's fantastic news, I'm sorry your finding it hard on the pre op but just think of the final results in the end. sometimes when you feel hungry it sometimes isn't hunger but that you could be thristy, are you allowed to drink unlimited water?
If you are and you like water then everytime you feel hungry, drink a glass of water if your allowed. I'm afraid that's all help I can give as I don't have any experience with any gastric surgery or pre-op diet as I'm having a FTT in sept but I wish you well and take care
Trina xxx

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, it seems to be getting a bit easier as the days go by...only 10 days to go!

Keeping busy is helping and focusing on the end result makes it all worth it!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, it seems to be getting a bit easier as the days go by...only 10 days to go!

Keeping busy is helping and focusing on the end result makes it all worth it!

Hi :)

Well done on keeping yourself busy and distracted as it can't be easy.
I'm sure this 10 days will pass quickly now and you will be onto the next positive chapter in your life :):D

Best Wishes,

Lacey..xx :)

Hi There

It is very hard and i do feel for you.
You can do something about the hunger but not the hunger for junk foods etc.

When i was on a diet and was hungry morning and night is drink a pint of milk.

And to help with the choc monster you can add some no added sugar milkshake
or have a slimming hot chocolate.

And if your not on a liquids diet late at night fill up on some lettice with low cal salad cream it took the edge off for me.

But very well done so far only 10 days to go , It will be worth it even if you dont feel it now.

Best of luck

Hi

Your story sounds very similar to mine. I have been on the pre-op diet (3xslimfast) for about 10 days. I struggled the first few days, but then seemed to settle into it. Didn't feel particularly hungry, and not craving for anything, but suddenly, today, just hit a wall. All sense and strength deserted me, and had a bit of a binge. I wish I had logged on here this morning - I'm sure I would have gotten the inspiration and willpower I needed.

So I understand how you're feeling - but it's worth digging deep for the last few days, then hopefully the start of a new life...

It is worth sticking with it guys, the results are worth it in the end. Just take it one day at a time, an hour at a time if need be and make lots of water your best friend and all will be fine x

Hello
Just joined this group so a Big hello to you all
my doctor referred me a week ago for Gastric, how long do I have to wait before I hear anything ?? can any one tell me

Hi Sam, welcome to Mini's :D Each PCT is very different when it comes to time scales, so unless there is someone here from Hull too I doubt anyone will be able to tell you exactly!

Fingers crossed for you :D

hiya sam, i went to my doctor in may and had a phone call on the 15 th aug saying that my fuding application had been posted and takes 6 weeks, it takes about 13 weeks to hear first time

H and welcome to mini's well done on your great weight loss so far! the start of a long but well worth it journey! look forward to hearing how things go for you x

Hello
Just joined this group so a Big hello to you all
my doctor referred me a week ago for Gastric, how long do I have to wait before I hear anything ?? can any one tell me
Hi Sam and welcome. i went o my Gp at xmas and had my funding approved in Feb. I had my bypass sone in may so all in all quicker than i expected. The time you wait depends on your PCT. Which authority do you live in? x

Hy Hyacinth, welcome to Mini's :) Good luck with the funding ap.

Every area is different, mine only took 3-4 weeks from ap being submitted to getting approval.

wow thats quick, i am trying the milk diet at the moment as my gp said it would help me get my op quicker, i have lost 5 kg in 3 days and am starting to not think about food as much, how long was your pre op diet and what was it, thanks for taking the time to reply, i have 11 stone to lose so quite a journey x

hi hyacynth i was referred by gp last oct saw consultant in mrch and being banded saturday so been a while looks like alot of pct's are a bit quicker

Back