• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Introducing New Foods

Bellydancer57

My challenge this week was to introduce some new foods, keep them down & conquer my fears.
Good news so far had prawns twice, poached fresh salmon, homemade chicken soup with a few noodles, mashed banana & a few raspberries (not good felt uncomfortable but kept them down). Tiny portions but giant steps for me even treated myself to a very small glass of red wine (not had since before christmas) to toast the Queens Jubilee.
Feeling like the cats pyjamas.:p

I seem to be able to eat normal foods just 2 weeks pre op!
I obviously have small amounts but I just can't face pureed foods any more.
Today I enjoyed a delicious ham,cheese & spring onion omelette and it went down a treat :D

I would be very careful with solid foods at 2 weeks post op. I understand feeling fed up, but you are most at risk of damaging your pouch right now as you won't get many of its signals yet.

I would be very careful with solid foods at 2 weeks post op. I understand feeling fed up, but you are most at risk of damaging your pouch right now as you won't get many of its signals yet.
Yeah you're right, I don't know what I've been thinking! In my mind chewing things very well, and blending them was the same thing but maybe I'm fooling myself. :sigh:
Anyway, I've decided to stick to soup for 2 weeks as I can't face pureed food and I don't want to start my new tummy off badly.

Fading Grace... i so dont want to sound a nag...but the liquids then pureed, soft foods etc are in stages for a reason... i had to do 10 days of liquids... 4 weeks of pureed and 6 weeks of soft before going on normal foods.... its isnt pleasant... my Christmas Dinner was pureed! lol... but although you are feeling ok... it takes a while for your insides to heal and your body to adjust to eating again. I know its a long slog and pureed is very boring... but please dont rush the stages as you dont want to do any damage. Hope i dont sound like a nag but just felt i needed to say xxx

I tried an omelette with cheese yesterday I thought it would class as a soft food and I mashed it all up... Unfortunately it didn't fair well in my tummy so I'm leaving that for a few weeks... I'm 2 weeks post op so on the mushy stage I don't have a blender so I'm mashing everything :)

Please be careful jumping stages! They are that way for a reason with this you gave to learn to live with the changes and jumping steps is failing to do that from day one! The steps allow your body and your mind to adjust x

Fading Grace... i so dont want to sound a nag...but the liquids then pureed, soft foods etc are in stages for a reason... i had to do 10 days of liquids... 4 weeks of pureed and 6 weeks of soft before going on normal foods.... its isnt pleasant... my Christmas Dinner was pureed! lol... but although you are feeling ok... it takes a while for your insides to heal and your body to adjust to eating again. I know its a long slog and pureed is very boring... but please dont rush the stages as you dont want to do any damage. Hope i dont sound like a nag but just felt i needed to say xxx
This is the problem with WLS I feel. 1 day after my op in hospital I was given pureed food to eat, so my hospital did not start me on a liquid diet like some others do. I was given my diet plan and it says 1-4 pureed consistency so I was living off yogurts mainly, when I tried to puree a meal it just made me feel ill and I couldn't face it. (the textue in my mouth makes me gag)
I know an omelette isn't pureed but I assumed as it's very soft, and once chewed it would be classed as much. It's hard to know what food is right/wrong as so many different hospitals have different post op diets. :sigh:
I'm going to do 2 solid weeks on soups/yogurts because I know that I cannot face pureed foods, I'm gagging before I dip my spoon in!
After this 2 weeks I'll be on the week 4-8 menu which have foods like scrambled egg on toast, baked beans, couscous and ravioli, macaroni cheese etc.. these foods I will be able to face. :D
Thanks for all your advice it's much appreciated, and you'll be happy to know that I am back on track. I still wish that ALL hospitals stuck with the same post op diet then there would be less confusion about the best route to take :mad:

i totally agree with you...each hospital/clinic has there own guideline.. then its hard to get support from them after so you have to rely on coming here or other forums/groups for advise... but then you face the challenge of everyones advise is different.
You will find what is right for you...mini steps and taking each day as it comes... you will get there xx

I would contact your dietician and ask for some advice as your team are best placed to advise you. Remember its not just you that has to adapt, but your entire digestion system must. Think of it as a baby's stomach - it has to learn how to digest with a much smaller area hence the start on liquids.

Yep, I will also admit to going to fast. I'm on the soft stage according to my paperwork/ advice sheet and I too have thought as long as I chew sufficiently then it's virtually purreed.
Thanks for the kick up the backside xx

I am having to go to bed after every meal... Sounds weird but after a meal I feel so drained its unreal.. I've just started mushy food and this was after scrambled eggs :(

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

we all have problems with food this is the reason weve all had our ops,our probs dont disapear when the op is over..i too slipped up on the liquid stage when i shouldnt have,im on the puree/soft foods now and im really enjoying it,i cant tollerate most foods in small ammounts xx

My pureed stage consisted of pureed soup, bought and homemade, vegetables with blended chicken, fish pie anyhting like that, fruit pureed, yoghurts, custard, milk I dont think i really struggled with it just felt like iw as constantly eating and drinking without time to fit anything else in. I was pleased to go back to work 2 weeks later cos it forced me to get some control over it. Had to plan thoroughly and get my head in gear so that I took the right foods and quantities with me and had stuff ready to come home to. Always have tubs in freeza with meals in for a change, if i fancy something different. Eggs were further down the line bout 6 weeks i think, then they were scrambled don't think i had an omelette till bout 10 weeks out they are classed as more solid foods on my list, Think I was bout 6 months post before I tried bread un toasted, don't have it often but its nice just to have a one slice sandwich sometimes. xx

i dont understand why every hospital is different,eggs are classed as puree/soft at my hospital so ive been eating scrambled eggs n beans a few times a week and its going down a treat,very filling too xx

Well I agree all hospitals are different & have different approaches depending which surgery you've had. Then o add to this we are all different so will tolerate different things at different rates.
I feel I have started to turn a corner now & slowly introducing new foods & textures under my dietician's guidance. Managed 3 spoons of Mum's bolognese sauce & a spoon of well cooked spaghetti. Took it very slowly & chewed & chewed & had no problems. Had it with friends & I felt quite normal. No one made any comments etc. had a lovely evening.

Back