• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Morbidly obese + back ache/pressure advice???

kirstyjade

I'm on the waiting list at derby for a bypass but I currently weigh a disgusting 28 stone and I'm having a problem with terrible back ache/pressure type pain when I walk I only have to walk a few meters before it starts or even if I stand to long....and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on a quick relief for this pain as I'm going away on Friday for a weekend shopping with a friend and I'm absolutly dreading walking around and being in so much pin and just wondered if any key had any quick/ temporary cures???

Doodoo

I can soooo relate. I am already walking further with no back pain and am only three weeks post surgery! But till your surgery....... what I used to do was take a couple of strong painkillers just before going out. Good luck with your surgery, when you can say goodbye to the backpain.

Paula Garner

Co codamol and neurofen every four hours, even if your not in pain. I can empathise with you Kirsty. I had terrible back pain pre op. take rests when you need to aswell xx

kirstyjade

Paula Lewis said:
Co codamol and neurofen every four hours, even if your not in pain. I can empathise with you Kirsty. I had terrible back pain pre op. take rests when you need to aswell xx

Do I take these both together Paula? Did this work for you? Normally I don't really leave the house at the moment and I'm really nervous about going out for so many reasons but the main being in pain it gets to the point where I litterally have to sit down till it eases off but then it's back within minutes.... I can't wait until these things are no longer a problem x

OOnion

Co codamol and Ibuprofen plus - you can take them together - but the pharmacist will tell you not to as they both have codeine in them, they will tell you to alternate them. They are fine to take together and give you about 30mg of codeine which is a safe dose and within the daily recommended dose. Good luck. x

robina

I just grit my teeth and bare it, i walk with a stick anyway. Did a shopping trip on saturday and im still stuck in bed now lol. I take co-codamol, extra codiene and naproxen thou no way near frequently enough to satisfy my doctor

kirstyjade

robina said:
I just grit my teeth and bare it, i walk with a stick anyway. Did a shopping trip on saturday and im still stuck in bed now lol. I take co-codamol, extra codiene and naproxen thou no way near frequently enough to satisfy my doctor

Do the pain killers not work for easing the pain if you take them before you go out? I'm really worried I'm thinking I might cancel :(

shelleymarie

Nothing touched mine I'm afraid but I didn't try taking them for a few days before so try that. You could go to your GP and ask for temporary pain relief for this event. I had Tramadol prescribed once which did take the edge off but I know not everyone would want to take that or not every GP will prescribe pain killers. If you've not tried pain killers for it before, then try the ones mentioned above, they should help. Try putting some heat on where you get the pain too, you can even get heat patches. Now for shopping you might not like this idea but I really struggled to walk because the pain was just too much so I use to go to the local shop mobilitly and high an electric wheel chair so I could still get out. It was a life saver in the end or I'd would of been completely immobile. Good news is within 8 weeks I was completely pain free in my back and now 5 months post op I can walk miles. Know you won't be in this pain forever I promise x

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
oh Kirsty i really feel for you :( I was the same too, i stopped going out in the end, i really wish you luck and hope you enjoy your day, bring on the surgery eh? :) xxx

amanda577

Kirsty I really sympathise with you, as I was just the same before my bypass.. But as everyone else is saying, you can look forward to being backpain free once the weight starts coming off. I can walk for miles now whereas before the op I was in agony just walking a few yards. I went out as little as possible and drove everywhere I could. I know you probably don't like the idea, but I think Shelleymaries idea about a mobility scooter hire for the shopping weekend is a really good one, as at least you will be able to get around the shops and keep up with your friend. Alternatively maybe explain to your friend about your back pain, and postpone a trip like that until you have had your surgery and lost a little weight?? Good luck xx

robina

I dont take em if im not in severe pain cos i worry bout becoming dependant and them not working anymore

robina

Oh and if im with my mates they make me hire a wheelchair to push me round in after having a bad fall. Its quicker and somewhat easier thou if its not electric then get one with big wheels, those small wheeled ones are a bugger to push

Paula Garner

robina said:
I dont take em if im not in severe pain cos i worry bout becoming dependant and them not working anymore

If you take pain relief regularly (if you need to for back pain) you won't be in severe pain, as it has had chance to build up in your system to give you continuous pain relief. If you only take them for severe pain, it will take at least 20 mins for them to work, and the effects only last for a few hours.

kirstyjade

Thanks guys, I'm going to try tAking codiene and neurofen I've started them today and will just take every four hours u till I get home on the Saturday evening, I started them this morning and have'nt noticed to much difference yet, but I've only been In and around the house so I'm going to walk my dog later and see if I can notice any difference, I really hope there is an improvement I've been panicking over this trip for the past week and really hope I don't embarrass myself by saying I need to go back to the hotel and rest,

In regards to the wheelchair I don't think that's for me I personsally would feel embarrassed and would rather just not go, my friend is slim and pretty and I would'nt want to embarrass her either, I just can't wait until I no longer have to worry about things like this,
This surgery just can't soon enough

Bellydancer57

All above good advice & I have found the heat pads from Boots or major supermarkets quite helpful. But to be honest my sciatica almost stopped me walking & I always hired a scooter for shopping National Federation of Shopmobility - Home these are nationwide give them a ring to see if they operate in the area you are going.
Good news is that after your op & weight loss you should see improvement. I was 22 1/2 stones & I lost 8 1/2 stones in 6 months & now pain free & can even run fast! Good luck.

kirstyjade

Well I've just been out to walk the dog and the pain killers did'nt even touch it I actually think that's the worst pain if been in while walking I'm absolutly gutted they didn't help so off I go back to the doctors tomorrow to see what else they can I do, I will ask if they can give me some tramadol and see if that's relieves it at all

HoneyAllen

I think if you are going to have the surgery soon, then you must not start with any kind of exercise right now. I don’t think this is advisable. You must first get your surgery done, recover fully and then start with your exercise. However, if the pain is unbearable then consult an orthopedic physician and get some suggestion how to reduce your back pain.

kirstyjade

Thanks for all your help and advice, after trying over the counter pain killers with no avail I went to my doctor last night and asked for tramadol as someone on here suggested and I took my 1st one today and it seems to have done the trick there is still abit of pressure/discomfort but its bearable so I think I shall give the weekend away ago and see how I get on, if I have problems then this will have to be the last one before my surgery
Thanks again guys x