• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Bypass story .... I'm getting married !!!!

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Wednesday 16th July 2008
Woke up after having about four hours sleep and drove to my parent’s house who was taking me into hospital. We arrived really early at the hospital (6.30am) but sat in the car for a while.
A nurse came down to reception to collect me and Shell and we were shown to our rooms. Well it was all go from there, I started unpacking my things and the nurse came in and said you need to get your gown, paper knickers and stockings on. Unfortunately for me I’d only started my period late on Monday evening so will still in full flow (I love to make things harder for myself lol). Was taken downstairs to get weighed and found I’d lost another 5lb on the pre-op diet so that was 22lbs in total. Got back to my room and both the consultant and anesthetist came to see me and asked if I had any questions. The nurse had already told me I was first on the list although it’s not what I had expected. Anyway literally straight after that I was told that they were waiting for me so I said a very quick goodbye to my parents (welled up at that point so just said I love you and I’ll see you later)!
I was walked to theatre and a nurse came and checked all my details then I went through and lay down on the table to be prepared for theatre. The anesthetist arrived and did the necessary and the theatre nurses were chatting to me about general things, my new car, job etc obviously just to keep you calm and your mind occupied so you really didn’t have time to think about what was happening!
……. Well that was the last I remembered until coming round in recovery and this nurse telling me I had to take two tablets but only to sip!! Clearly wasn’t with it at this point but could hear them saying “yes she’s ready to go back to the ward” and I was wheeled back to my room. Straight away my nurse appeared with 12 red roses that my boyfriend had sent in and she was showing me the card that came with it and to be honest I was still only half with it but was just saying “oh yes they are lovely”.
I went down to theatre at 8.00am and was back in my room at 11.20am. Yes I was in pain and uncomfortable but not as bad as I’d expected it to be. My back hurt but that’s normal after being on the operating table. I was given painkillers to ease the pain, Tramadol and IV Paracetomol This sent me back to sleep again. I heard the nurses ring my Mum to tell her everything was fine and that I was back on the ward. The rest of the afternoon just went by in a blur to be honest, was hooked up to a drip to ensure I didn’t get dehydrated whilst still Nil by mouth and had IV Paracetomol and Antibiotics. I also had “moon boots” on my legs which inflated all the time to ensure you didn’t get a DVT and had an Oxygen mask and a blood pressure monitor on which kept inflating every 10 mins (but then seemed to keep stopping working), oh and a monitor on my finger too to monitor oxygen levels. I was given ice cubes just to suck. The nurse also informed me that I had a catheter in.
My parents came back to see me around 5ish but didn’t stay too long as I was still groggy from the anesthetic etc.
Just a note here – my poor Mum was so busy. She is brilliant at flowers and a relative of ours was getting married on the 18th July and Mum and my Aunty had agreed to do all the wedding flowers between them and this was in Leeds, so Wednesday she had run around picking the flowers up etc etc bless her.
In the evening the nursing staff at night came to get me up just for a while and yes it hurt and was uncomfortable and immediately I went faint and felt sick so sat back down on the bed. They were then helping me get back in bed and I asked if I could put my own PJ’s on so they helped me with those and I felt a lot better. I asked how long I would have to keep the Oxygen mask on cos that was annoying me and she initially said overnight but then it was taken off me about 10pm as my obs were fine.
The evening passed without much sleep which I had expected and it’s not easy to sleep with the nurses coming in and out to check your obs and with your “moon boots” on and the blood pressure monitor going off all the time.

Last edited:

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Thursday 17th July
Was awake at 6am and had my catheter removed, inflatable boots and blood pressure monitor removed. The nurses continued to carry out obs but all were fine. Was given some more painkillers (IV Paracetomol) – what they gave you depended on how much pain you were in but I felt I was uncomfortable than pain.
Got up and had a strip wash and cleaned teeth etc whilst nurse changed my bed. Had to have a chair to sit down after a few minutes as again I went light headed, clammy and felt faint (reason why explained later)!! I texted my Mum to see what time she was coming as I really wasn’t feeling great.
Was advised that at 1pm I would be taken downstairs to X-Ray to check there were no leaks etc – not nice!
The physio called in to see me to give some breathing exercises and ankle exercises etc.

Mum and Aunty came to see me (on the way to Leeds to do the wedding flowers)! Mum gave me my heparin injection in my stomach as she would be doing them when I got home.

1pm – now the fun began (NOT!). Shell and I were taken down together for the Barium; I’d walked to the lift but again went all light headed and faint. We had been in the lift a couple of minutes awaiting one of the nurses and that was it for me. Mum and nurse asked if I was ok and I said “No”. They couldn’t find the wheelchair they have for Bariatric ward so a chair was got for me whilst they found it. Not sure who got this but it could have been Shell’s husband Terry (thanks Terrry)!
Shell walked and I was wheeled into the X-Ray area and we had to wait a while in there before I was taken in. I had to stand on this platform and was given this horrible drink which made me gag straight away – Aniseed and let’s just say I got very drunk on Pernod at 18 and can’t stand even the smell of it so having to drink it oh my god not nice when already feeling sick but knew it had to be done. Just standing there was making me faint. Also had to take a big swig and swallow when your told to sip everything lol! He said everything looked fine but I had to finish the cupful of liquid then sit back in the wheelchair. That was absolutely horrible and he said I’d done well and that he’d see me in an hour (which I really wasn’t looking forward to). Well started to feel very sick again at this point and unfortunately I was which was a mixture of the liquid and blood. Was told by the nurse to try not to be sick and not to worry about the blood.
Got back to my room and went to the loo and Mum and Aunty had to leave as they had to get to Leeds to do the flowers for the wedding – poor Mum hated leaving me like that but I said not to worry and I’d be fine. The nurse made me get back in bed and said it was half an hour before I had to go back to X-Ray to get it all checked again.
Went back down to X-Ray this time in the chair but felt a BIT better by this point. Fortunately enough liquid was still there and I didn’t have to have any more (phew!). Was taken back up to my room. Mum rang me as she has been really worried but I told her I was ok and not to worry. Was feeling a bit of a softie as I kept going faint but you will see the reasons later!
The RHO came in to take some blood from me, nice chap but he was Polish and he talked very quiet so it was difficult to understand what he was saying half the time and my nurse kept getting a bit annoyed with him lol.
My consultant also came in to see me to check how I was feeling etc and said that as long as I had some yoghurt on Friday morning I could go home.
Also heard that there were no leakages and my drip was removed, I could now drink and later that evening I would be on free fluid.
That night I had 3 visitors, all 3 came separately from work so it was lovely to see them. I’d got loads of card and flowers (really was spoilt)!
About 11pm I turned off the TV as I was very tired. Got a better night sleep but was still woken a lot and frequent visits to the loo due to diarrhea due to the lovely liquid!

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Friday 18th July
Obs were taken and the nurse put up another IV Paracetomol but no idea what happened but it wasn’t going through and after about half an hour the quiet Polish man came and he sorted it out for me. At this point my Consultant came in and told him I should be on Soluble Paracetomol now and he was a bit annoyed that I hadn’t been given any yoghurt.
The physio called in to see me again and I asked if I walked about which I had as I didn’t feel faint like I had on Thursday. She took me for a walk to check I could get up and downstairs so that I could be released.
Basically I was left to my own devices on Friday (different nurse at this point). They didn’t check on me very much at all and I only had one lot of paracetomol about 3pm in the afternoon.
Mr Brough called in again to see how I was and walked in the door and said “Hiya Slim” which made me laugh! He said I looked well and that he would see me next at my six week checkup as long as I had no complications.. I thanked him again for doing my op.
That afternoon was left totally on my own the whole time apart from one visit by the nurse at 3pm to give me soluble paracetomol. Was getting fed up and just wanted to go home but Mum was worried that my Dad wouldn’t know what do to do if I wasn’t well etc and she was at the wedding in Leeds so it was arranged that Dad would pick me up about 6ish.
I packed all my things up etc but was just so bored. I thought Shell had gone home but she called in to see my before she went.
The nurses came in about half four and changed my dressings and gave me all the medication I needed and said goodbye just in case nobody was about when my Dad came.
Unfortunately my Dad got stuck in a load of traffic so it was 7pm by the time he replied and I was more than ready to get home. I just wanted a cup of tea lol!
The journey itself took about 1 hour 15 but you feel every blooming pothole and bump. I started feeling really off again (weary really) and by the time I got home I was shaking and shivering. Fortunately Mum walked in 5 mins later and took over. I had some paracetomol and a drink and felt much better after about half an hour. I was just so cold but it was great to be home (well Mum & Dad’s house).

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Saturday 19th July
I had a bit of a lie in as sleeping was still uncomfortable really. I got up about 9.30am and then had an Actimel yoghurt and started drinking. Found the first day a bit difficult in getting all the medicines in and all the fluid etc you need to have but felt fine just a bit sore.
The lovely Mandy visited me with her family on Friday as did my other half (first time I’d seen him since the Wednesday morning !)
We had a lovely night and Mandy brought me lots of goodies.
My Mum had been busy making me loads of fresh soups and fruit ice cubes.
Sunday 20th July
Got up earlier and found it much easier drinking all the fluids necessary etc, I kept going for little walks but each time my heart kept racing then I’d feel awful and just seemed tired all the time. Mum said she thought I was anemic (great having a nurse as a Mum eh)!
My Mum and Dad were both looking after me so well (mainly Mum) bless her. I’ve always had a very close bond with my family but even I have realized that last week that my Mum is just the best she has made sure I’ve had fresh soups, fresh fruit ice, drinks galore and always been there for me (Thanks Mum).
Monday 21st July
Up at 8am and made an appointment to see the Dr as I needed to get a sick note for work and to tell her about my heard racing etc. She listened to my heart and said everything seemed fine but agreed that I was probably anemic so I had to book in for some blood tests. Felt so tired so had a sleep in the afternoon for 1.5 hrs
Got a delivery today of lovely Orchids. I work for an IT company and the Programme I am working on at the moment works very closely with our clients and they had sent these. Each day another get well card came through the door. I’m so lucky.

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Tuesday 22nd July
Up to Dr’s again for blood tests. Other half was having the final tests to be a prison officer. Mum shipped me off to bed again in the afternoon but I didn’t sleep just read for a bit then got up.
We went out in the afternoon to a garden centre just a change of scenery really and to drop my other half off at my house.
Wednesday 23rd July
Into a routine now and know what drinks to have when, which medication, when to eat etc so makes it a lot easier. The secretary at the Dr’s rang me at lunchtime and told me I was post op anemic (hence why I was feeling faint on the Thursday after my op) and that I had to have plenty of rest and continue to take the Iron tables. I have to go back in a couple of weeks to get them checked again but it was a relief I wasn’t being soft. Have always been brought up with that “oh your allright, just get on with it” attitude.
Thursday 24th July
Got up early again and felt great so we had a trip out to Lytham, had a nice walk (not too far) and then came back home.
Had a shower and Mum took out my staples (she used to be a theatre sister so more than used to doing this lol). Dr has said she was more than happy for Mum to do them. Unfortunately one of my wounds had opened slightly so Mum still had some steristrips and put those on. Made an appt to see the nurse on Friday.
Friday 25th July
Went to see Nurse and the open wound seems to of gelled together a bit thanks to the steristrips but it is leaking a bit so have to go back on Monday just to check it’s ok. I have to have the dressings changed daily but apart from that I’m doing fine so far.

Sorry it’s taken so long but more difficult to get online at my Mum’s.

mandy-1975

Hi Nic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to have you here..........

What a fantatsic read, even though i have spoke to you......... a great account, so pleased your consultant cheered you up tooo......

Keep resting

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Great story Nic. Do they know what made you anaemic? Sorry I'm no medical wizz!

Hey Sara

Just the fact of losing a lot of blood during the op and not having any replaced. Just been reading your thread lol, god it's gonna take me all weekend to get up to date and then I'm going back to Mum's on Monday lol xx

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi Nic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to have you here..........

What a fantatsic read, even though i have spoke to you......... a great account, so pleased your consultant cheered you up tooo......

Keep resting

Hey my good mate, I've honestly found all the staff at The Regency superb and no complaints at all xxx

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Well done on weight loss too hun, I've been good and not been on scales. Gonna try and wait until my six week appt! XX

alliecat

frustrated bander!
i'd put money on you not making it to six weeks before you sneak on the scales Nic!!!! I am having enough trouble staying off them for a week at a time. Great to read your story hun, you sound like you are doing really well xx

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Thanks you two

I just don't want to get disillusioned so gonna try thats for sure xx

Trinaweena

Hi Nic,
I'm so pleased that you are feeling better and that I have really enjoyed reading your journey from the beginning to the end. It doesn't seem 5 minutes ago that you were saying you were just starting the pre-op diet.
It was lucky shel's hubby was nearby with a wheelchair to catch you.
Take care and I can 't wait to see your next weight loss.
Trina xxxxxx

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi hun

They had to grab just a normal chair at first and not sure who that was but could of been Terry bless him, I remember him keeping the lift doors open xx

Gerry

Loved reading your diary Nic. So helpful and informative. Only thing that worries me is does everyone have to do the barium thing? There are a few medical procedures that I have lived in fear of my entire life, and that's one of them. My friend who originally got me interested in the op never mentioned it, but now I'm starting to panic. Does everyone have that?

You are so lucky to have such a loving helpful Mum.

I will have hubby taking care of me afterwards, plus four of my daughters, although mainly hubby.

Gerry
:)

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Loved reading your diary Nic. So helpful and informative. Only thing that worries me is does everyone have to do the barium thing? There are a few medical procedures that I have lived in fear of my entire life, and that's one of them. My friend who originally got me interested in the op never mentioned it, but now I'm starting to panic. Does everyone have that?

You are so lucky to have such a loving helpful Mum.

I will have hubby taking care of me afterwards, plus four of my daughters, although mainly hubby.

Gerry
:)

Hi Gerry

Different hospitals do things differently, I know Mandy didn't have the Barium but had dye or something so not everybody does. xx

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass