• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Gastric band diary

jinkles

:)Hi all my name is Jenny and I was banded successfully on 2nd Jan 09. I am planning on doing some sort of a diary, how good it will be I don't know but hopefully it will help keep me on track and maybe help others on their wl journey.

I started the pre op diet on 20th dec 08 and on the day of surgery I had lost 13lbs!!! My surgeon was chuffed. I am now 2 days post-op and had a very uncomfortable night last night due to 'wind' pains and not being able to 'cutchy' down into my usual position. I decided to get up at 4am for pain relief which was a bit of a mistake as it woke my 2 girls up 4yrs and 23mths, needless to say I've had an awful day having to cope with my own discomfort and their tired whinging and their need for wanting my undivided attention, (hubby been really good tho).
I managed to get down 1/2 a weetabix for breakfast with several small drinks throughout the day then managed a low cal cuppa soup at 4pm. Am now drinking a small mug of low fat ovaltine. I don't feel hungry, how long this will last for I don't know.

I have had to change 2 of my waterproof dressings today as they are bleeding out a little, also the wound I have surrounding my port site is uneven and 'puckered' has any body else experienced this - did it get better???

I will try and post as often as possible will also log my weight (am too scared to weigh myself yet) x x x

Great stuff Jenny. Diarys are so good not just for other members at an earlier/similar stage, but also for yourself to work through your journey and to read back at a later stage.

Keep it up :clap:

Hi Jenny
Great first diary entry - Over Christmas I've finally decided that banding is the next step for me but I'm struggling with where to go to have it done - I see your based on Stoke - I'm in Wolverhampton. Where did you have your op ?

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for sharing. It really is a good thing.

Best of luck hun.

Thanx for sharing. Congrats on your wls. Im 5 weeks post band now and can eat lots more than the 1st 2weeks. Im due a band fill in a couple of weeks tho so that will help me. Hope your wl goes well. Tc R x

Welcome to the losing side chick! I had my op last July so if you have any questions just shout! My port wound was puckered too so don't worry - once they took the staples out it was better and it has improved loads over time. Still the biggest scar, but nice and smooth now. Good luck with your journey and try gripe water for the wind pain - it works a treat x

congratuations xxxx

Hi jenny, congratulations on being banded and welcome to the losing side, i had my band fitted 7 weeks ago and had my first band fill on saturday and have already lost 27lb, its the best thing ever xx

Hi

I had my band fitted on Oct 27th at Dolan Park in Bromsgrove its only 30 mins away as I live in Great Barr, Birmingham. Anyways my port site was also puckered, it was glued but one day it was just flat about a month after so dont worry sure yours will be the same. The hunger comes about 2 weeks after so if I was you id get a fill booked for in about 4 - 6 weeks. Ive just booked my second one for in a couple of weeks. Well done for doing the pre op diet over christmas that is some achievement.

Dee x

HI

Hi Jenny
Great first diary entry - Over Christmas I've finally decided that banding is the next step for me but I'm struggling with where to go to have it done - I see your based on Stoke - I'm in Wolverhampton. Where did you have your op ?

Hi, I had my op done at the Nuffield in newcastle-under-lyme, under Mr Cheruvu and his team. They were very good and I have nothing to complain about, the nursing staff were brill !!!

Post op Day 4

:DHi again. Today has been a better day, managed to get a decent nights sleep as I managed to get comfy lying down. I have only needed to take 1/2 my reccommended dose of pain relief as the pain seems to be subsiding now!!!

I have had to remove my waterproof dressings as it looked like i was reacting badly to the adhesive, I've replaced them with sterile dry dressings instead. It looks like my wounds have been glued not stitched (anybody else been glued???) It says on my discharge notes I have dissolvable stitches???

I have been very tempted to weigh myself today but managed to stay away from the scales as I am still quite swollen, so will wait for a while untill everything calms down.

Today has been the first day that I have had a bit of an appetite. I cooked a winter beef casserole (lobby) in my slow cooker ond OMG did it smell good, the first time I've felt a 'hunger rumble'. Is this normal after such a short time after the op I wonder?????

Take care all !!!

Hiya Jenny,

I was just wondering about your port site. How does it feel? I'm hoping to get the band but the port site is the thing that puts me off cos I'm a bit sqeamish with things like that. Can you feel it when you move? Congratulations on your op by the way. Well done! x

HI Hodgey03. I can honestly say that I can't feel my port site at all however, I have only just had the band and am still a little swollen. I have asked this question myself and the majority say they can't feel theirs. Good luck with ur quest for the band, any questions please feel free to ask away x x

gastric band diary post-op day 6

:confused:Hi all, well I'm virtually pain free now and my dressings are off and healing nicely.

Well I have my appetite back as well as my hunger. The advice given to me by the dietician was to stay on a liquidised diet for 4 weeks post op and to only consume about 4-6 tablespoons of food at any one time as this will be sufficient to fill me. Which is true initially but after 1/2 hour I feel hungry again. Has anybody else felt like this or is it just me. I know I have no real resriction yet and i'm eating very healthy and consuming only low fat/low cal foods. I suppose I'm just scared of putting back on a few pounds, IS THIS NORMAL!!!!!!!!!

Latest installment

Hi all, I think I have started with the struggling stage and am thinking more and more about my 1st fill. I was told to stay on a mushy/runny diet for 4 weeks but I am starting to struggle with this and have started eating some 'solid' food such as pasta and noodles. I am also eating larger portion sizes than I was told to as I feel hungry within 1/2hr of eating the recommended 6-8 tablespoon portion. Are u supposed to feel full without the resriction. Also will I stretch my small pouch with eating more than the recommended portion size?????:confused:

Congratulations Jenny on your operation...could i ask the procedure into leading up to it?? As i am now awaiting to see a consultant.

thank you

Rachael

Congratulations Jenny on your operation...could i ask the procedure into leading up to it?? As i am now awaiting to see a consultant.

thank you

Rachael
Hi, I went private for my gastric band procedure so I just made the initial appointment at the nuffield hospital and went from there. I am not sure what the procedure is if you've got an NHS referral, but there are plenty of others using this site who have had nhs referral who would be glad to help you.
I had 2 appointments with my surgeon where he explained the proceure to me, we then agreed and booked a date for the op. He then made me an appointment with the bariatric nurse for a pre-op assessment where all sorts of medical questions are asked (nothing to worry about just general health questions) the nurse talked me through the procedure again and explained the pre-op diet (to reduce the size of your liver). Then I had blood/urine tests, BP etc. I then had an appointment with a dietician who told me what to expect after the band was in, she told me what type of food to eat and for 4 weeks after it had to be liquidised. She also told me what to expect after having 'band fills'. I got a diet info sheet for all this. I'm pretty sure that this would be the same procedure if your having your wls on the nhs. Hope this helps and good luck x x

Thank you very much, that is really much appreciated.

Well I might possibly be going private as I have medical insurance with work etc… Well I think I should be able to have it on my medical insurance.

Thank you so very much for your help :D

Rachael
xx

Back