• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

my journey of my gastric bypass

uglyduck16

The start of my new life!!!....

I woke up this morning with butterflies in my tummy, I was feeling really nervouse but really excited at the same time because this is the start of my new life!!
I went with mum to take Charlie to the cattery, I took the rug that he sleeps on when he sleeps at the end of my bed so he would have some home comforts with him.
I felt awfull leaving him, he looked sad (I dont know how i cat can look sad... but he did!!) I felt like a parent leaving their child at playgroup/nursery...Anyway he will be OK, he has been there before and they are very caring.
When I got back I went on the net on mini's website and there where lots of 'good luck' messages for me which was lovely. I really do not know what I would do without the internet, I honestly think I would be lost without it!!
I feel lucky to have found min's website, especially pre-op because I was able to read about other peoples expriences, ask questions, get any worries off my chest and genrally get advice and support aswell as offering support back to others. It os a really friendly, supportive website and I can't wait to get back and chat to everyone once this is over!!
When James got back from work, we put the last things in the car and headed off. There was a bit of traffic on the M6, but it passed. The journey took about 2 1/2 hours.
Anyway, when we got there I went to the reception and said that I was being admitted today, she told me to take a seat in reception and a porter would come and get me.
The porter came and took me to my room, he went though all the buttons to press on the buzzer etc. and said a nurse would be along soon.
A healthcare assistant came to do my blood pressure, but the cuff was too small so she had to go and find another one. - It did make me think that they know what I am coming in for, they must have done peoples BP who are on the larger side before and need bigger cuffs!!!
The next person to come was a nurse, who was going through a form. We where trying to tell her about my medication and that I have got some made up in liquid form but not all of them where able to be liquids. I wanted to know that she understood what we where trying to tell her (because I am on a lot of medication), but i don't think she got the jist of it?!

I also had some swabs done, I think it was to check for MRSA.
A phlabotomist came to try and take some blood, but it is like trying to get blood out of a stone with my body!! So she told me to drink lots of fluids and she would be back in 1/2 hour...... 1/2 hour later still not luck so RMO doctor was called to take it- and he got it first time!!
I then went to the restraunt with mum and James while they had dinner, it cost £11.50 for a Jacket potatoe, pasta salad and an orange juice- they where forgetting that it is a private hospital so will have prices to match!!
We then came back to my room and are now watching eastenders. After eastenders we phoned Ampabaa (my grandad) to tell him what was happening.
A little while later, we found out that I was going to be 1st on the list tommorrow and my op will be at 8.30am, which I am actually pleased about- it means I can get it out of the way, no waiting all day nervously!!
Mum and James then went off to find there B&B and I watched 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here' on TV and read magazines.
About half ten I buzzed for a nurse to ask if it was OK to take my tablets. A healthcare assistant came and said she would get the nurse who is going to be looking after me. The nurse came, took my BP and went through what would be happening tommorrow. She said as I am having my op in the morning, I can't have any more fluids after midnight. She said she would come and help me have a shower in the morning and get into my gown. I then lowered my bed down and listened to my ipod to try and get to sleep.

Todays to day!!!

I slept reasonably well last night. sort of on and off. The nurse came in at 7 and I went for a shower, then she helped me into my gown and put my stockings on.
I tried wearing the knickers, bit I am not used to wearing knickers as I have REALLY sensitive skin, so I just could not tolerate them.
I am now sitting in my gown, it is 8.05 am, mum and James are now with me- I have not long to go as they said the op would be at 8.30am!!
It is feeling more real now!! Feeling nervous, but excited because this really is the start of my new life!!

more to come... ;)

Okay so you hooked me, ready to hear more now!!:)

Hi Lizzie enjoyed reading your story felt I was with you whilst I was reading it lol...look forward to hearing more from you...take care chick...xx

After the operation

When I woke up I felt totally rubbish, I was in so much pain and I was feeling nausiouse.
I has a morphine drip with a presser that I could press when I wanted some. I could only press it though when the green light was on, which was set for every 5 minutes.
They said the op would take 2 hours so mum and James got back at 10.45, but I was 1 hour late and they where getting really worried. Of course, I didn't know anything about it, so it was OK for me!! hehe
That day I slept on and off, I tried taking sips of water but I was very

uncomfy and felt full up very easily.
The doctor explained that my stomach is now the size of a ping-pong ball and after surgery it is very swallen so untill the swelling goes down it is at 1/2 its capacity.
They where coming to do my obs every 15 mins and the day just sort of passed in a blur.
Mum and James left aroun 6.30pm to go and find somewhere to eat in Cheadale.
I then watched TV for a while until taking my medication for the night- and it did all work out OK with my medication after worrying about it all it would out in the end!!
I didn't really sleep that well that night, the nurse was coming every 15mins to do my BP and I was feeling very uncomfy.
At some sillt time in the morning (vry vry early!!) the nurse told me my BP was low so I couldn't have any more morphine. :(
My drip also wasn't flowing properly, so the doctor had to come and put a new one in.
So...... not the best night but at least my new life has began and I am on the road to recovery. :)

Day 2

I was still feeling very uncomftable and finding it hard to drink a lot, but the staff kept re-assuring us that it was normal to be feeling like this and not to worry about it.
The nurses said I should be going for a walk up and down the corridor at least every 1/2 hour. This is when we noticed other people who where also under Mr.Amorri and started to chat to them. One Lady had the same op as me (bypass) and went in after me, yet she felt OK to go home today. She does not live as far away, she lives in Manchester, I suppose I have a long journey - I know everyone is different and recovers differently but it is hard not to compare!
Another lady had the band, she was lovely, I told her about the website I use, minimins.com which totally rocks! She says she is going to check it out! ;)
The physio came today and wanted to check my stability on the stairs. I walked up the corridor with her and went down about 6 steps.
I also had to alternate between spending time in bed, sitting in a chair and walking up and down the corridor- not stay in one position for too long.
The health advisor came to see us and gave us an information pack on the diet I had to follow for the next 2weeks, the next phaze, advice on proteins etc.
Mr.Amorri and Dr.Ashton also came to see me to see how I was doing.
The day just seemed to flow by really.
I watched ' I'm a Celebrity' and whatever cr*p was on TV in the evening and read some trashy mags.
I had a better night than I did the first night, but I am/was still very uncomfy so it was hard.
But I am trying to think of the bigger picture and remain possitive, and remember WHY I am doing this- I am sure this pain will be worth it in the long run!!!!

Thank you everyone for your replies :D:D:D
off to bed now ;)
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Thanks for sharing Lizzie, its always so nice to hear other peoples stories, hope you recover quickly and start to enjoy your weightloss. I'm on day 16 and I'm down 24 pounds so I'm really made up. Keep us updated on your progress :)

Lizzie it's great to read your blog, so I know what i'm in for soon:eek:.Keep it up chuck, and hope you're making a great recovery:D

hi lizzie hope things are going well for you and you are starting to feel better, my heart was beating really fast when i was reading your story it makes it all so real and exciting to think what the future holds well done you clever girl
lesleyxx

Going home

Mr. Ammorri came to see me in the morning and was very laid back and said that if I needed to stay another night I could , but we thought that they were doing nothing that we couldn't do ourselves at home. It was just getting the journey over with that was going to be the problem.
The journey was a total nightmare - I don't think you realise until you have stomach surgery how much you use your tummy muscles in the car! Going around corners/bends. roundabouts/ stopping suddently - you need to balance yourself!
We stopped at services at least every half hour to have a little walk around and to break it up. I didn't always feel like getting our as it was painful to get in and out of the car but I just enjoyed having a break from the jerkyness of the car moving for a bit! Having said this, I do have additional health problems which might have contributed to this, and I know that I might take longer to heal than some people.
We took a few wrong turnings on the way back, but after a bit of a detour we got home in the end!
It was lovely to be home :D. Mum helped me unpack my case and put a duvet and pillows under my mattress to try to prop it up like the hospital bed.
That night I kept trying different pillows to get comfy, I didn't have the best nights sleep ever ------ still early days!:rolleyes:

First day back home.

My mum had the day off work so she was able to help out. I was feeling pretty cr*p.
She phoned the docs because I was finding it hard to take my tablets crushed ( yuk is all I can say!!). They agreed to prescribe liquids, so she went to pick up the prescription and to get it made up. She bought a protein shake used by weight weight lifters who want to gain muscle but not put on weight. It cost a fortune and the tub the powder comes in is enormous - won't fit in any cupboard. When the assistant in the shop showed her, she thought it was a display model and that the assistant was joking!!!!!:D. Anyway, it tasted ok and hopefully will do the job.
I still didn't feel up to much - I lounged on the settee and watched day time TV, having sips of drinks. I was still finding moving a bit painful and needed help to get undressed when it came to going to bed.
I slept better that night, Charlie my cat kept trying to lie on my chest as he usually does at bed time! I had to push him off cos it was painful - he setteled for sleeping beside me!!!! I kinda felt like I was rejecting him cos he couldn't understand why he couldn't do what he normally does, if that makes sense - I did try to explain to him:8855:.

keep up the good work lizzie you are doing really well..how exciting the start of your new life..hope you dont mind if i keep in touch with you as mr ammori is gonna be doing my op if all goes to plan..is he kind! xxx

Hi Lesley! I thought Mr. Ammori was fantastic - very human and intersted in you. He asked me to email him a photo of me in a couple of months as he won't be doing my follow up as I live too far away! I thought this showed he was genuinely interested in me as an individual. I was really touched by this - you'll be fine and will be in very safe hands with him as your surgeon. He hand sews rather than staples cos he feels it's better and safer. When are you having your op? Where are you having it? Keep in touch!!
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Lizzy glad yr feeling a little better
lesley Mr ammori is a very genuin person he is very approachable and treats you as an individual and with respect. If ever i needed to have any general surgery i would be asking for him.
good luck
carole

Back