• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbies first banding consult.

mosher.mum

Six Month Post Op
:confused: Hiya,
I have just joined the forum as I am waiting for gastric weight loss surgery and I have been reading lots of posts for a while and have learnt an awful lot, thank you all.
I have been referred by my GP and have my first consultation at the Regency Hospital in Macclesfield on Friday.
I realise from reading the posts that every area and every doctor seem to do things differently but if you can give me a general idea of what I might expect on Friday I would be very grateful.:eek:

mosher welcome to minimins, i can't aswer your questions about the band as i had a bypass, but i wanted to welcome you and wish you luck on your WLS

Hi Mosher,

Which surgeon at the Regency are you seeing? I had my surgery there and all my appointments are outlined in my blog (link in signature).

At first appointment I saw the Bariatric Nurses, and Mr Brough (my surgeon). It was all fine, was weighed and had a long chat and had surgery within 3 months. No probs :)

Hi
Welcome I am on the journey too so have no idea but the others will fill you in
helen
x

Thanks for your replies.
Shelbel, I am seeing Mr. Agwunobi on Friday.
I am not nervous, just want it over and done with so I can start losing weight and after loitering on here for a while and reading lots of stuff about the options I know there is lots of support.

You'll be grand. It's a nice hospital, easy to find etc, and caters well for bariatric patients (the chairs in the waiting area are all huge etc). On the first appointment they just go through the different surgeries and establish with you which one is best, talk about the procedure there, and thats about it. I got my date about 6-7 weeks later and surgery another 6-7 weeks after that.

I was there last week for a check up, but unfortunately the nurses and dietician were snowed in so I only saw a HCA lol, so fingers crossed for good weather for you.

I should have been there last Thursday but was cancelled due to snow, I was so disappointed especially when it was rescheduled for Friday 13th lol.
I am looking forward now.

Good :) You'll have to make sure you let us know how it goes!

just been offered gastric bypass.....is it the right thing to do?

I went for my first appointment with the consultant at the Regency Macclesfield today.:)
I was up at 5.30am for the 9am appointment and ended up sitting in the car park for half an hour lol.:doh:
Mr Agwunobi advised the gastric bypass would be my best option which threw me a bit as I was convinced I would be offered the band.
So now I am reading all the blogs I can and trying to convince myself that it is the right thing to do!!!!!!
It appears to be a drastic, irreversable operation and I would appreciate the guidance of post bypass patients.
I know that I cannot lose weight and maintain for any length of time and the only solution for me now is the operation but please can you reassure me.:confused:

Glad it went well Mosher :D

I had a feeling they might lean you towards the bypass. I went thinking band and had the bypass and I am so glad I did. I lost over 75% of my excess weight in less than 7 months and am now a size 12-14 and so much happier.

Personally, I don't feel like I'm on a diet. If I want a bit of chocolate or a bite of pizza I have it, without problems. Obviously I couldn't have a lot of either but I don't feel the need to. I can eat out, without any problems and there are no foods that I can't eat.

For me, reading the banders threads on here just reinforces that I made the right decision for myself. I respect everyones decision but I couldn't go through the rollercoaster that the banders go through!

The best thing you can do is research research and research. Read some of the bypass diaries and the band diaries and make an informed decision. If you honestly think that the band is best then they will do it, you just need to ask for it.

If you have any questions about the bypass, life afterwards, etc, just shout :)

Thanks Shelbel and Teen.
I think after researching loads over the last few months and since joining this forum I have learnt a lot and the bypass is the best option definitely.
It does seem to be the more reliable in the long term and as someone who has dieted all her life I am now ready to admit defeat and succumb to the surgeons knife.
Having said that, I know that surgery is not the easy way by any means but all the successful op stories I have read on here just make me want to get the operation and start my weight loss journey asap.

Sounds like a good starting attitude mosher :)

Back